Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software

Old 08-30-2016, 01:31 PM   #41
mag

Tried 8.0 M2 drivers today, still lagging, support tool output attached (EDIT: later removed).

I reproduced it with all external USB devices disconnected, only external display (in the Replace display mode - Show only on 2) and Ethernet cable connected to the dock.

Restarted Windows, logged in, moved around with the cursor (using the builtin touchpad) - the occasional lag was there (cursor stuttering on the display). Similar lag also visible when typing on the keyboard.

Back to 7.9 M7 with no lag.

Last edited by mag; 08-30-2016 at 05:00 PM.
mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:50 PM   #42
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello mag,
Then similar reasons to everyone else. Don't use replace mode until Microsoft sends the Windows Update fixing the OS. You need at least one monitor on the primary graphics card to be switched on for Windows not to put it to sleep and DisplayLink to have to wait for it to wake up to get pixels.
I'll post here when I know it's on its way.
Kind regards,
Alban

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag View Post
Tried 8.0 M2 drivers today, still lagging, support tool output attached.

I reproduced it with all external USB devices disconnected, only external display (in the Replace display mode - Show only on 2) and Ethernet cable connected to the dock.

Restarted Windows, logged in, moved around with the cursor (using the builtin touchpad) - the occasional lag was there (cursor stuttering on the display). Similar lag also visible when typing on the keyboard.

Back to 7.9 M7 and no lag.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:14 PM   #43
mag

Do You know whether the fix is already in the works/testing at least (so there's a good chance it won't take several months for it to be released)?
mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:03 PM   #44
AlbanRampon

@Mag,
The fix is done and verified fixed in Redstone 2. A few big companies have asked for a backport as I flagged earlier in the thread.
In the meantime, activate all monitors.
If you keep 7.9 M7 and get new Intel/nVidia/AMD/Exotic graphics drivers with WDDM 2.1, then you may not be able to use your computer anymore. Up to you, of course.

@Bert,
Thanks for the details. There is something in the backlog for the mouse pointer scheduled for 8.1 later this year.
That's only a first step to keep improving the new driver architecture.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 09-02-2016, 11:49 PM   #45
DougG

I have activated all monitors (laptop now open (previously closed), and two external monitors connected) and my mouse and keyboard lag seems to have disappeared. Just confirming the workaround.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
@Mag,
The fix is done and verified fixed in Redstone 2. A few big companies have asked for a backport as I flagged earlier in the thread.
In the meantime, activate all monitors.
If you keep 7.9 M7 and get new Intel/nVidia/AMD/Exotic graphics drivers with WDDM 2.1, then you may not be able to use your computer anymore. Up to you, of course.

@Bert,
Thanks for the details. There is something in the backlog for the mouse pointer scheduled for 8.1 later this year.
That's only a first step to keep improving the new driver architecture.

Kind regards,
Alban
DougG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #46
Brock

Doug,
How do you activate all monitors??
Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 01:45 PM   #47
DougG

To activate just means that all of them are enabled and recognized by Windows 10.

Open up your laptop, and with all external monitor connected and turned on, right click on desktop, select "Display settings."

You may need to click "Detect" and then "Identify" to enable all monitors and to determine which monitors are considered #1, #2, and #3. If you don't see all your monitors, try unplugging the displaylink USB cable, and plug it back in.

From there, you'll need to individually click each monitor and in the "Multiple Displays" dropdown, select how you want that monitor to be configured, and also select which monitor will be your main display (see Main Display checkbox). You'll have to play around with the settings for your specific preferences.

Also see this Youtube video starting at 49 seconds for a quick demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl7U4uGZE5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock View Post
Doug,
How do you activate all monitors??

Last edited by DougG; 09-03-2016 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-03-2016, 02:01 PM   #48
AlbanRampon

Smile

I've been informed that Microsoft has agreed to make the fix available to Windows 10 v1607.
It is expected to be part of the September 2016 cumulative patch.
This means we don't have much longer to wait now.

Windows Insiders Program (WIP) users should already have the fix if you use a build later than 14906-14909. I am NOT recommending standard users to go to the WIP, that's a beta OS.

Old 09-04-2016, 09:47 PM   #49
DougG

Thank you for the update.

Quote:
I've been informed that Microsoft has agreed to make the fix available to Windows 10 v1607.

Windows Insiders Program (WIP) users should already have the fix if you use a build later than 14906-14909. I am NOT recommending standard users to go to the WIP, that's a beta OS.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:13 AM   #50
gdx

Thumbs up

Quote:

I'm on WIP Build 14915 with 8.0 M2 driver now and coudn't notice any lag, most probably this issue was resolved
gdx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
m8.0