Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > Windows Software
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #1
Alth

Default Monitor goes black randomly connected via 4-in-1 adapter and HDMI

I have a Dell SE2417HG monitor connected to a Dell Xps 13 laptop running Windows 10 with the anniversary update, via dell 4-in-1 adapter and HDMI. The monitor screen randomly goes black, sometimes even losing signal when connected via HDMI. Also, the display quality on the monitor is not clear and text looks a little blurry. Attached is the zip file from the running the DisplayLink Windows Support Tool. Please help! All products are new.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DESKTOP-VBTOH23_20161104_175344.zip (1.52 MB, 1 views)
Alth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Thank you for the description along with the log files, it's helpful.
When the monitor goes black, are all the windows it contained moved/redrawn to the XPS laptop screen and you have to move them back?
Or is it only the monitor on the HDMI which goes black for 1-2s but the XPS doesn't flash and nothing is moving?

About the resolution, I see the Dell SE2417HG native/preferred resolution is 1920x1080 and this is the resolution the dock sets. However I can also see hotplug events which suggests the monitor stops being detected and then is reconnected but its identification cannot be read properly. What type and length of HDMI cable do you have?
When it cannot read the ID, the resolution is then set to 1280x1024. Because it's not the native resolution, it will look strange. Could it be the resolution you see (right click on desktop, then Display settings, then advanced and when you click on a monitor it should give you the resolution used).

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 12:20 AM   #3
Alth

Hi,

thanks for the reply.
Only the monitor on the HDMI goes black, the windows are not moved and I don't have to move them back. After 1-2s it comes back on, however sometimes it shows no signal found and then it doesnt come back. I would have to manually power off and on the monitor to get back the signal.

The resolution remains at 1920x1080. The weird thing is that now the text looks clear, I'll have to monitor if the problem arises again. I'm using a valore flat HDMI cable that is 1.8m. As I'm typing this the monitor just turned off and on again. Please help!
Old 11-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #4
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Thank you for the additional information.
As the windows don't move, this means Windows does not know the monitor disappeared.
The only way this can happen is if the issue is between the adapter and the monitor. If the issue was between the computer and the adapter, the disconnection would force all windows to the main display left... Like when you pull the USB cord. It would be the same if you pull the HDMI cable as an hotplug event would be detected by the adapter.

Are you in an office with gas lift chairs?
Would you be able to try with another HDMI cable?

I believe the monitor is losing synch. 1 second is too quick for it to be much else.

Kind regards,
Alban

Old 11-08-2016, 12:09 AM   #5
Alth

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes I am in a office with gas lift chairs.. how would that affect? I could try with another cable, and will update here again. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:27 PM   #6
shingra

Default Same problem since arround 1 week with my HP Laptop WIN10.

Please post if you found any solution for your problem. I have exactly the same situation with my HP Laptop (Win 10).
I have a DisplayLink Unit connected by USB3 to a Dell Screen U2410 to have another screen available. It worked now for 1,5 years with no problem since arround last week. I have the feel it could be connected to one of the last "awfull" WINdows updates..... because I didnt change anything at my configuration

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alth View Post
I have a Dell SE2417HG monitor connected to a Dell Xps 13 laptop running Windows 10 with the anniversary update, via dell 4-in-1 adapter and HDMI. The monitor screen randomly goes black, sometimes even losing signal when connected via HDMI. Also, the display quality on the monitor is not clear and text looks a little blurry. Attached is the zip file from the running the DisplayLink Windows Support Tool. Please help! All products are new.
shingra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:35 PM   #7
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alth View Post
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yes I am in a office with gas lift chairs.. how would that affect? I could try with another cable, and will update here again. Thanks for the suggestion.
I encourage you to have a look if the behaviour is really random or depends on when someone stands-up or sit down nearby.
These chairs are notoriously bad for electronics. Here is a paper published on the subject 23 years ago. I would advise using a better shielded HDMI cable. Your cable doesn't seem long enough to be the reason for the sensitivity, if you observe the temporary blink matches the chair gas compression/decompression.

Old 11-15-2016, 12:41 AM   #8
Alth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
I encourage you to have a look if the behaviour is really random or depends on when someone stands-up or sit down nearby.
These chairs are notoriously bad for electronics. Here is a paper published on the subject 23 years ago. I would advise using a better shielded HDMI cable. Your cable doesn't seem long enough to be the reason for the sensitivity, if you observe the temporary blink matches the chair gas compression/decompression.
Hi, I've discovered that whenever a colleague of mine stands up from her gas lift chair, the problem will happen and the monitor will black out for a few seconds then come back on. Occurs 9 out of 10 times.. so I can presume this is indeed a case of chair ESD! Funny thing is it only happens with that particular colleague and her chair, doesn't happen with other chairs.

I've tried with another HDMI cable, the situation is better and doesnt blackout as often, but it still happens occasionally. Do you have any particular brand and model of cable that would be better shielded for my usage? As the problem can get quite disruptive to work at times.

And thanks very much for the insight and help!
Old 11-16-2016, 07:16 AM   #9
shingra

Default Problem solved (hopefully)

In my case it seems that the reason for the problems was one of the last windows update on Win 10. Since I got another Windows update some days ago the "black outs" didnīt come back again.
shingra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #10
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

I'm afraid I don't have a brand or model specifically. If you take a cable which is supposed to work for high speed communication, you can hope it is of better quality.

You can test for ESD by using the old way of lighting the gas hob: a piezzo gas lighter.
A ferrite choke on the cable should also improve immunity as it is a filter.

Kind regards,
Alban