Go Back   DisplayLink Forum > DisplayLink Graphics Technology > iPad Application

Old 07-19-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
luckycat

Exclamation iPad Windows driver fails to install properly

Windows 7 Pro x64 updated
iPad 2 iOS 4.3.4
Latest DisplayLink iOS app
Latest DisplayLink iPad drivers download

I recently migrated from a different laptop, where DisplayLink was working flawlessly. The iPad driver installer appears to finish successfully. No reboot is performed and the single task tray icon is visible. When I connect to the software via iPad, the standard "DisplayLink configuring for first time use" dialog is presented. In the background, a Windows dialog requests to reboot the machine for changes to take effect (this did not occur on the previous laptop, and can be reproduced easily). Immediately following, two DL icons now appear in the task tray. An attempt to reconnect via iPad leaves a blank black screen and fails to connect. No visible errors appear and rebooting does not resolve the issue. Alternatively and intermittently, no icon will appear in the task tray, but a service restart resolves this.

Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #2
luckycat

Bump for visibility. I'll be trying a Process Monitor log this evening if nothing else.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
luckycat

Let's bump this again since it doesn't look like anyone's replied. I can't see this being a one-off issue. More than two people must be experiencing the same thing. Ideas?
Old 12-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Wim

Can you try upgrading to the latest 6.1 software from here:

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads

But DON'T uninstall the v5.6 software, otherwise the iPad will no longer connect. I suspect that as it is a new laptop, you need a later version of our drivers to make it compatible with your primary graphics card. If this doesn't fix it, please post the logs as described here:

http://kb.displaylink.com/269

Wim
Old 12-09-2011, 03:56 PM   #5
luckycat

Wim,

You've hit the nail on the head. I did need to reboot after the installation, but here are the steps I followed:

1. Download and install iPad software v5.6 from here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads_ipad.php
2. Download and install DisplayLink v6.1 from here: http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php
3. Reboot
4. Connect via iPad app to laptop

*Note: I had tested without the reboot, but received the same message as noted in the OP. After the reboot, nothing but success

Thanks for the response. This would make a good sticky or tech note if you guys have those.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:47 AM   #6
Gary Miyakawa

I've tried all the steps above and not had success. I'm running W7/64 and have installed the 6.1 DisplayLink drivers. I then installed the iPad code (iPad 1) from the app store. They are both living on the same wifi network (I've pinged from W7 to the iPad)..

I never get any evidence that the ipad is trying to connect (even sniffed the inbound wifi and there was no traffic from the ipad)..

I'm sure I've missed something and am very open to suggestions.

Thanks,

Gary Miyakawa
Old 02-09-2012, 02:06 AM   #7
Gary Miyakawa

Ok, so I changed to Aero mode on the windows display.. Re installed everything (using 5.6) and it's working fine...

Good luck folks!

Gary M
Old 03-20-2012, 09:04 PM   #8
Derekius

I installed 5.6 on my Windows 8 CP x64 laptop and could not get it to communicate with the iPad. It would say it was setting up for the first use, then disable my video card, then re-enable it and....nothing. Then I found this thread, so I installed 6.1 and now I can get it to connect and use it as a second display, but cannot use the touch part of it. I'm new to this software, so is this a Win8 bug or is this product for screen-viewing only? I wanted to use it as a second display and have touch support...

Tags
blank screen, ipad, reboot