DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Phantom 3rd Screen (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1415)

Carlo 06-07-2012 07:32 AM

Brief update.
We have a repro only on one system to date (MBA), but it's reliable. All the other systems we tested don't show the issue. Might it be connected to the Intel GPU drivers? Does anybody see this with AMD or NVidia (in high performance mode if dual GPU)?

We're suspicious since this appears to be system specific so we're going to remove any custom behaviour out of the DL SW to see if we can actually affect the issue.

In the meanwhile the most effective workaround is still the same: don't let those pixels go to waste and use the Mac's screen as an auxiliary screen.

Carlo

jeff-y 06-07-2012 04:53 PM

Thanks for the update, Carlo!

My system is a MBA.

Thanks!
-Jeff

mikefoley 06-14-2012 02:48 AM

Can us MBA folks get a fix?

As I posted back in March and others before that, this problem is a killer on the 2011 MBA's. Any chance we can get a fix for that in the meantime? I'm getting tired of rebooting a couple of times a day as I switch between displays at home, work and when I present using the VGA adapter.

Please? I'll happily beta test it if you'd like. Reach out! :)
mike

Carlo 06-15-2012 07:12 AM

Ok so now that we have a reproduction everything is a bit easier. We've been able to reproduce in the same conditions with another unaccelerated frame buffer product and with a basic frame buffer without any of our magic.

Everything points to a bug in the driver for the HD3000 graphics card, we opened bug 11655548 with Apple: you are welcome to push with them for its resolution.

Regards
Carlo

prettyby7 06-15-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlo (Post 6855)
Ok so now that we have a reproduction everything is a bit easier. We've been able to reproduce in the same conditions with another unaccelerated frame buffer product and with a basic frame buffer without any of our magic.

Everything points to a bug in the driver for the HD3000 graphics card, we opened bug 11655548 with Apple: you are welcome to push with them for its resolution.

Regards
Carlo

Thank you for the update Carlo!

mikefoley 06-19-2012 03:47 PM

I called Apple Support and gave them the bug report number and made it clear that I'd like to see it fixed. We'll see what happens. I suspect that by the time Mountain Lion comes out (which I hear the bug is not in ML), I'll probably just update to that.

cshbell 07-26-2012 03:12 PM

Fixed in Mountain Lion

Just wanted to report some happy news on this nearly year-old problem: This appears to be fixed in Mountain Lion. I installed 10.8 yesterday, and I'm no longer seeing the phantom third screen. Hooray!

jeff-y 07-26-2012 11:43 PM

Yaay! Are you seeing the kernel panics that other users are reporting?

ChristianP 07-27-2012 01:11 PM

Great news:). Thanks for reporting it.

cshbell 07-30-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff-y (Post 7295)
Yaay! Are you seeing the kernel panics that other users are reporting?

Yes, but all in all, they're infrequent and less disruptive than having to reboot multiple times per day.