DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Linux and Open Source (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   USB 3.0 Displaylink DL-3000 series: DL-3100 / DL-3500 / DL-3900 (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1748)

medobear 08-27-2013 04:14 PM

Please add support for Linux!

ThePhi 09-01-2013 02:49 PM

+1
I'm very disappointed! I've bought an AOC E1659Fwu USB monitor expecting linux support as it worked with the previous USB 2.0 model.
Please provide a solution! :(

Beaker 09-04-2013 06:58 PM

its now September 2013 : (

sure wish I could use this USB 3 displaylink device i have sitting here un-powered

gazpel 09-06-2013 09:33 AM

Happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear Threeaaad, happy birthday too you.

Still checking back here periodically to see if things have changed. Looks like they did not. :/

spamalam 09-08-2013 09:58 PM

Registered just to prod this thread, this is rather disappointing to see a lack of foresight on supporting linux/mac at launch, but after a year with absolutely zero progress its all a bit shameful.

Any news?

linux_desktop_user 09-10-2013 11:06 AM

How do we move this forward?

I am another Linux desktop user who is disappointed that the newer USB 3.0 products do not work with Linux.

As I understand it from posts by DisplayLink staff on this forum, there are two problems here:
1. DisplayLink are of the opinion that there is insufficient demand for a Linux driver to justify DisplayLink's software development costs incurred in creating one; and
2. The USB 3.0 products use some sort of encryption scheme intended to prevent copyright violation, and DisplayLink are concerned that release of source code able to drive their USB 3.0 products (or specifications of the wire protocol used) would permit people to break this in some way, and thus be able to violate copyrights.

Could someone from DisplayLink please confirm the above, or correct my understand if I'm wrong?

I would have thought that the number of posts here would cause DisplayLink to change their mind regarding demand.

In any case, problem number one above does not need to be solved - DisplayLink do not need to write a Linux driver. There are many competent C programmers (and I am one of them) who could write such a driver, if specifications were available.
This brings us on to the second problem, the undocumented encryption scheme used.

I would just like to confirm: so the only thing preventing the copyright infringers of this world from using DisplayLink's products to aid their activities is the security by obscurity gained by not releasing source or specifications for the USB 3.0 devices, is that the case?

If not, then there exist additional effective protections, so specifications (or even driver source) should be released, so that we in the community can develop drivers ourselves.

If so, then we in the community need to get going breaking the encryption used, so that we can then write working drivers.

Of course, in the latter scenario, it would be rather sad for the content industry if, in their attempt to force DisplayLink to protect their content, they in fact multiplied many-fold the number of skilled people attempting to break the protection scheme.
How ironic that instead of fighting only the copyright-infringers, they would have to fight those copyright-infringers *and* people like me who just want this hardware to work with Free drivers.

This reminds me of the DVD story, where due to the 'protection' afforded by CSS, in order merely to play DVDs under Linux, it was necessary to break CSS entirely, and then Jon's DeCSS code got integrated into the DVD-copyer programs, and the rest (as they say) is history.

Is this a repeat of the same silly story? Please tell me it's not.

divioseo 09-10-2013 04:28 PM

I have also buyed an AOC E1659Fwu usb monitor thinking it was ok on linux ...

Additional display are heavily used by linux users, thats non sense to not provide a driver for it !

Please do something for us.

Zizounnette 09-10-2013 04:37 PM

plz need it too.
Awaiting for 3 month now.

Give us at least some hope and an ETA !

playmobitch 09-10-2013 04:50 PM

WHAT ??!?!?? No Linux Support ?!??

no mac support, why not, who cares? but no Linux support is a total nonsense.

dclarke 09-11-2013 12:20 AM

I agree with the rest of the forum posts... lack of basic Linux support in 2013 is really lame and with business targeted laptops now relying on this tech for their docking stations it is no longer an annoyance it is a real problem.

I've been watching this thread since the start (1 year now) and I thought by now we'd surely have basic support. Just wanted to voice my discontent with the lack of support and lack of communication.

Beaker 09-12-2013 05:53 PM

coming up on my deadline to return my displaylink device, i think i'll just return it and wait a year or two until there's a product available for usb 3 on linux

sandule 09-13-2013 07:16 AM

:mad:

I joined just to post this.

I purchased my USB 3.0 docking station just because it said it had Linux support. I have been trying to solve this myself for a while now and now I can't return my product because the 7 day grace period is up. I have also been told that DisplayLink's false advertising is not enough for them to return my product and that I should take it up with DisplayLink. I say it is time for a class action lawsuit for false advertising.

It is companies like DisplayLink that give Linux in general a bad name as people think this limitation is an OS limitation.

sandule 09-13-2013 07:29 AM

I have written to a popular technology news source about the issue and that they should make this very public knowledge to discourage people buying USB 3.0 DisplayLink products.

Hopefully this will be brought to the public eye and it will force DisplayLink to get off of their lazy asses.

Lope 09-13-2013 08:28 AM

We need to get the word out that Displaylink are as bad as Nvidia. They only pretend to be linux friendly. Its fake. They actively try to prevent developers from figuring out how their devices work.
Look how many years we have been without drivers and see what the Displaylink hackers (who are really responsible for creating the linux drivers available today, that still don't support most devices properly) have to say.
http://displaylinklinuxdriver.wordpress.com

Displaylink have never created a linux driver of their own accord. They released a piece of junk calling it 'open source' that still contains closed source blobs. They even still tried to encrypt it. When hackers had already figured all that stuff out. Displaylink did not help with any of the challenges that still remain.

Displaylink's approach won't change until the situation changes.
The community needs to actively get involved and tell people about Displaylink's real nature. And boycott their products until they open up their specifications to allow linux support.

ThePhi 09-17-2013 10:25 AM

I've seen this portal to post crowdfunded projects of development,
Are there some motivated programers who would be interested in trying to develop an application for all the people dying to see their USB 3.0 working with Linux? :)
I'm sure the total amount of money assembled here could be quite high! ;)

http://funding.openinitiative.com/

mnemonic 09-20-2013 10:44 PM

I'm very disappointed. I've spent 4 days trying to configure displaylink on linux to extend my desktop on Ubuntu 13.04.
No way.

I'll never buy a DisplayLink product anymore, until I see a decent Linux driver for my DL-195.

michaelmitchell 10-08-2013 11:31 PM

Argh!

Registering my disappointment for lack of USB3.0 support in Linux, 80% of people I know who use multiple displays are Linux users as average Joe windows user usually has very little use for a second display, software developers like myself on the other hand will use as many as they can get their hands on.

I would love to use a portable USB monitor with DisplayLink but until there is Linux support it is not an option.

I would be willing to pay for this, why not start a crowd funding and see what result you get?

But do it soon please.

genfish 10-28-2013 09:08 AM

I would also like to register interest in support for this. Could it be devloped without HDMI DRM support for now? :)

ctw 10-29-2013 10:43 PM

Please add Linux support

I bought the USB docking station under the impression that I could use it with an external display under Linux. Am very disappointed in Displaylink ... please fix this!

xork 11-08-2013 03:50 AM

Extremely disappointed!

Very sad.. checking in on this issue after I received a dock through work 5 months ago. All this because according to DisplayLink, they need to ensure content protection remains secure under an open source environment. To hell with the greed and DRM! If someone were to crowdsource a solution, I would throw my money at it.

soustaji 11-08-2013 05:38 PM

unprofessional

come on this can't be true. make this work! we don't care for useless content protection or any political reasons. we paid for a product that we can't use - some of us, like me, not at all! i am a linux only user and bought a useless piece of plastic and silicon. how against your customers is that? i will have to plug/unplug dozens of cables because my dock is totally useless to me. i'll send it back!

kwutchak 11-12-2013 02:37 PM

Insecure data path for Linux will be more than sufficient...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wim (Post 7543)
... One issue is that the DL-3000 supports content protection and we need to ensure this remains secure under an open source environment.
Wim

I'd hazard a guess that not many Linux enthusiasts would be overly concerned at losing a data path that secures the interests of companies that didn't pay for your hardware (in contrast to the Linux user who did buy it).

Is it possible to provide open source drivers that allow us to display X (as I do on your USB 2 chipset). I know that I don't care at all that the data path for my X display is secure from, well, me.

paulbarker 12-01-2013 01:06 PM

I was planning to buy a Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 dock for my laptop (http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/itemdet...BAF06F8726DA3E). I now shan't be doing as it doesn't look like it will have Linux support any time soon. This is very disappointing and DisplayLink have just cost their customer, Lenovo, a sale.

phainuna 12-08-2013 11:48 AM

@paulbarker: Hold back from that one. I fell into the trap...

jtheoof 12-08-2013 04:45 PM

It will soon be 2014

After checking this thread for a weeks, I, too, decided to register to the forum only to display my disappointment with the lack of Linux support. We will soon be joining 2014 and not supporting Linux these days really feels unprofessional, especially when DisplayLink falsy advertises for Linux support.

Please, listen to the community and bring us the means to use your devices under our favorite OS.

Darrenm 12-09-2013 11:53 AM

+1 support Linux please

For what it's worth - I'm another pleading for Linux support.

DisplayLink depend on a vibrant PC market and I am holding off buying a new laptop because of this one issue. It sounds like I'm not the only one.

I might even have to buy a Mac.

walkeer 12-11-2013 12:08 PM

I am very unhappy that there is no linux support for my USB 3.0 docking station from Lenovo, the more that there is support for Mac, which I guess is quite simmilar to linux.

khamer 12-14-2013 01:44 PM

I've started a petition on change.org for this.

Bert Rolston 01-07-2014 10:19 PM

A freakin' expensive USB hub!

I bought a 3XXX series so that I could replace laptops without have to get a new docking station each time.
:(

Disappointed that DisplayLink won't support the 3xxx series in Linux because of DRM, which only stops honest people from using their computers effectively. :mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(:mad::(

Let's face it, the real crooks will ALWAYS find a way to circumvent protection.:p:p:p:p:p:p

I won't be recommending this product to ANY of my customers.:eek::p

arthur.lutz 01-09-2014 10:30 AM

I'm the same case, and would like to use this for work (and some collegues too). I can assure you that if this issue was resolved, we'd buy some more docks. DisplayLink please hear us out and provide a Linux solution for this problem.

Am using Ubuntu 13.10...

Stonie 01-17-2014 11:28 PM

Loose the narrow view display link... what about the ~2 million RaspberryPi boards in circulation? digital signage? - yes you are foolish at best.

Quote:

Hey Display link, Here is your chance to be part of the future... If you choose to ignore the Linux community we will find another way that does not include you. We always do. You can count on our determination and perseverance. Please choose to be part of the solution.
Sign the petition:
https://www.change.org/petitions/dis...0-series-chips

Harold 02-17-2014 07:46 PM

Another subscriber just to express my disappointment in DisplayLink and the immense power of the content industry. :mad:

khamer 02-28-2014 04:07 PM

The petition passed 250 signatures. That's 250 customers who were affected, found the petition and took the time to sign it in ~2 months.

JordanGrant 03-01-2014 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batrick (Post 8227)
I also have a USB 3.0 Lenovo dock with DVI ports I can't use because of this driver issue. Can we get an update please?

I have the Lenovo dock as well. Ethernet, and USB connections work, sound and video don't. :( It's now a year later. Any progress?

kempe 03-21-2014 12:39 PM

Any news on this? I just got a device and just took for granted that it would work but apparently not

disappointed_customer 03-23-2014 01:28 PM

Just created an account to express my frustration and disappointment for having bought the Lenovo USB 3.0 dock and finding out that there was no linux support for it.

I really hope that the DisplayLink people will change their mind...

joncamfield 04-01-2014 07:24 PM

This is not only blocking me from buying docking stations for my team, but also it is changing my laptop purchasing. It's really a shame for the leading-edge laptops that have moved to USB3 port replication models.

Beaker 04-02-2014 11:46 PM

checking back after months, sad to see this is still not fixed

shame on you DisplayLink

mikus 04-05-2014 11:52 AM

I checked back again to see if there's been any progress, and of course not.

Really, you need to get over the whole content protection racket - it was defeated before it started. Do the world a favor and tell the media cartels that it's not worth the effort on your behalf, and display the damn video anyway. The only thing you are hurting is your sales, as I have already refused solutions in a company because the useless usb3.0 docks weren't supported for me (a full-time linux desktop user).

We now consider linux a viable, in-use desktop in our corporation (of ~3500 people), and were considering support aspects of usb3 docks (with this forsaken chipset), which sadly rules out many vendor solutions like Lenovo that push them as a "solution". Your customers need made aware of a distinct lack of support on your part for essentially all future chipsets under linux until you move beyond this ridiculous stigma of content protection being something useful to you and/or the end users.

Check usenet or pirate bay, you're really not stopping anything, you're just obviating your platform, and consequently hurting your upstream customers from consideration for purchase and adoption.

brusserius 04-07-2014 01:15 PM

Stinks like "yet another marriage with Bingosoft (read Microsoft)". I was always interested how the European Commission can be involved in something like that. This time have a clear reason/case so will ask friends around how to file some anti-competition case.