DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   2.5 beta 2 (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64133)

Carlo 10-06-2015 05:32 PM

2.5 beta 2

Hi All,

We have released today version 2.5 Beta 2. This version fixes critical issues in the beta 1 and is recommended to all El Capitan users. More information in the release note.

We'd like to hear your feedback!

A reminder: if you have downloaded the Beta 1 please uninstall it and delete the installation image. If you had device issues after using the beta 1 please contact us at http://support.displaylink.com

Best regards,
Carlo

Junto026 10-07-2015 12:27 AM

Fixed My Issues

Hey all,

In case it helps someone, I use two StarTech USB32DVIPRO modules through a USB Hub. After upgrading to El Capitan, both units worked but not when plugged in through a hub.

I uninstalled my 2.4 driver, installed the 2.5 Beta 2 driver, and all works perfectly, save for a small issue I'll post on a separate thread. : )

Superstar 10-07-2015 03:05 AM

Mine still doesn't work. I can pretty much confirm that your beta 1 software broke the device permanently.

Just to be sure that the issue is not with El Capitan, I have connected it to a Windows PC and yeah it doesn't work. Its not even detected.

Going to return it for RMA.

Please do a QC before releasing a software to public! Beta is not an excuse to not perform QC.

saudor 10-07-2015 03:59 AM

PDF scrolling is a bit smoother and the app i use is less glitchy. It seems to allow me to select text without it all acting up. Best part of el cap is..there is no 1-2 second lag in Expose mode since the OS no longer blurs the background

I only use the DL display for displaying several PDF documents that hardly ever moves (aside from scrolling) so my use would be very light to begin with

EDIT: Background of the monitor connected to displayport still turns black when switching spaces. The actual displaylink monitor and the internal screen of the macbook still has its background. Also some windows when switching to a particular space become invisible (workaround is to enter expose again and everything comes back)

OS X 10.11.1 Beta 2

Rymek 10-07-2015 09:04 AM

Intalled beta2, no difference than to beta 1 and to 2.4. Still bad beformance in whole system after connecting the external usb. Starting to think it's device itself not the driver.

I've sent you debug report via PM Carlo. Take a look.

Carlo 10-07-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rymek (Post 78719)
Intalled beta2, no difference than to beta 1 and to 2.4. Still bad beformance in whole system after connecting the external usb. Starting to think it's device itself not the driver.

I've sent you debug report via PM Carlo. Take a look.

Hi Rymek,

Thank you very useful logs. This is most likely a known issue or at least partly a known issue. Our internal defect ID is 18765, you can use this to look for the fix in the release notes or to contact us again.

The good news is that we finally have a good reproduction and are actively analysing this issue right now. It's a SW issue, it's not yet clear why only some systems show it but we should be able to resolve or work around it.
As usual I can't give you any dates though.

Best regards,
Carlo

DaHof 10-07-2015 03:09 PM

Screen displays but can't move anything to it.

I can move my mouse onto the screen, see the proper background, see the menu but can't bring any app or file onto the screen.

Ben

paultzirides 10-07-2015 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlo (Post 78709)
A reminder: if you have downloaded the Beta 1 please uninstall it and delete the installation image. If you had device issues after using the beta 1 please contact us at http://support.displaylink.com

Carlo, does that mean that we should uninstall Beta 1 before updating? I simply rain the new installer from the new disk image.

(EDIT: Changed quoted text selection to be more specific)

ourzoo 10-07-2015 07:11 PM

Have you resolved the issue that damaged adapters? Just being honest here, but I'm scared to try this and fry my other adapter.

MAC 10-08-2015 02:29 AM

I can confirm 2.5 beta 2 pretty much works fine now with El Capitan; no crashes or wake up from sleep problems yet. I was using 2.4, which I uninstalled before installing 2.5 beta 2.

On 2.5 beta 2, DisplayLinkManager is using between 2-6% of CPU, with 2 additional monitors plugged in; no heavy CPU usage noted in the last day.

Will report back if I find problems.

MAC 10-08-2015 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ourzoo (Post 78732)
Have you resolved the issue that damaged adapters? Just being honest here, but I'm scared to try this and fry my other adapter.

Sorry, I seem to have missed that. Where did you get that info from?

Carlo 10-08-2015 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultzirides (Post 78727)
Carlo, does that mean that we should uninstall Beta 1 before updating? I simply rain the new installer from the new disk image.

(EDIT: Changed quoted text selection to be more specific)

A straight update is fine.

Really, please do delete the beta 1 installer image.

Cheers,
Carlo

Carlo 10-08-2015 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ourzoo (Post 78732)

Your issue has been fixed yes. I understand your concern!

Regards,
Carlo

pmontelo 10-10-2015 03:07 PM

Hi Carlo,

I'm on OS X 10.10.5 and with 2.5 Beta 2, my DisplayLink screen only displays my desktop image and the mouse cursor. If I drag a window over to the DisplayLink screen, I only see the desktop image and mouse cursor.

Some extra info, I have 3 displays on a Mac Mini 2012, main center display = HDMI, right display = thunderbolt, left display = DisplayLink USB

I have reverted back to 2.4 and everything is working again. I am hoping to upgrade to OS X 10.11.1 but will hold off until a driver is available.

Thanks,
Patrick

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlo (Post 78709)
Hi All,

We have released today version 2.5 Beta 2. This version fixes critical issues in the beta 1 and is recommended to all El Capitan users. More information in the release note.

We'd like to hear your feedback!

Best regards,
Carlo

pbuckner 10-10-2015 06:39 PM

Still fails with old Apple Studio Display and iTunes crashes system

No better than 2.4 for me.

El Capitan, USB2 connected (via ADC) old Apple Studio Display. Screen remains blank, mouse can move into space, but nothing is displayed.

iTunes, when minimizing, will cause user to logout. With 2.4, this happened nearly every time app minimized. With 2.5b2 it's still over 50%, so I uninstall driver.

Let me know if you want a log.

Carlo 10-11-2015 08:52 AM

Hi All,

Thank you for letting us know. This issue with no updates on DisplayLink screen but mouse visible has been reported a few times now and we'll look into it. It's very likely that we can provide a solution.

About minimising iTunes we'll refresh the bug we have open with Apple. I'm more optimistic now that we got a Window Server fix in El Capitan. More may come.

Best regards,
Carlo

Junto026 10-12-2015 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHof (Post 78726)
I can move my mouse onto the screen, see the proper background, see the menu but can't bring any app or file onto the screen.

Ben

The same thing randomly happened to me after days of use. Uninstalling 2.5 Beta 2 and re-installing fixed it for me.

falcom 10-13-2015 01:56 PM

High CPU and random screen freezes with 2.5b2

1 Attachment(s)
After periodic OS lockups when waking screens I've updated from 2.4 to 2.5b2 after uninstalling 2.4. Now that I'm on 2.5b2 I'm seeing that the DisplayLinkManager always consumes 40% CPU. Additionally each time I reboot, the DL screen is frozen on the login window and this persists even after login, I can then unfreeze it by temporarily reconfiguring which of my three screens is the "main display". After that I periodically get into a state where the DL screen freezes again though the mouse pointer can still move around, nothing else is being updated. While frozen the CPU returns to normal at least ;) Changing which display is the main display again temporarily resolves this frozen state. Looks like I'll be downgrading back to 2.4 as the wake from sleep lockups are far easier to manage then the issues I'm seeing with 2.5b2.

One final issue which I've been seeing on 2.4 even pre El Cap is that the DL audio will randomly unmute itself if I have it on mute, this may occur every 5-10 minutes as if the audio adapter is being reset, same thing happens if I unplug/replug USB for instance. I haven't been on 2.5b2 long enough to know if I've got the same issue there or not.

I'm running El Capitan on a 13" early 2015 rMBP i7 with 16GB. I'm using the Dell D3100 attached over USB3 to a single 1920x1080 monitor as well as ethernet and audio and a Time Machine backup drive. I also have two 4K monitors attached directly to the Mac.

I've just attached a "spin dump" of the DisplayLinkManager while it is consuming the 40% CPU

thanks,

mark

ourzoo 10-15-2015 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAC (Post 78735)
Sorry, I seem to have missed that. Where did you get that info from?

I don't think it happened to many folks (I hope not), but when I updated to 2.5 beta 1 my adapter was no longer found even after I uninstalled and reinstalled 2.4. When I connected to my setup in my office all is well using 2.4. Something about the update damaged the firmware in the adapter.

ourzoo 10-15-2015 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlo (Post 78738)
Your issue has been fixed yes. I understand your concern!

Regards,
Carlo

Thanks Carlo. I think I'm still going to sit on the sidelines for a bit.

dave_w 10-15-2015 06:03 AM

Experienced wakeup issues with OSX 10.10.2

Hi,

Just reporting consistent wakeup issues using 2.5 Beta 2 with OSX Yosemite 10.10.2, MacBook Air 11 inch Mid 2012, and a Kensington SD3500V dock.

Downgrading to 2.4 seems to have resolved the issue.

Dave

ericslaw 10-15-2015 06:41 AM

had to disable hardware acceleration in chrome

recent reboot of MBP15" revealed odd rendering problems exclusive to my DisplayLink USB video cards.

I'm was running DisplayLink 2.4.64766.0 on Yosemite 10.10.5.
Upgraded DisplayLink to 2.5b2 but problem still exists.

Workaround: disable hardware acceleration in chrome advanced settings.

Does not seem to affect normal apps like outlook, iterm2, skype (no video), etc.

Carlo 10-15-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_w (Post 78805)
Hi,

Just reporting consistent wakeup issues using 2.5 Beta 2 with OSX Yosemite 10.10.2, MacBook Air 11 inch Mid 2012, and a Kensington SD3500V dock.

Downgrading to 2.4 seems to have resolved the issue.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Could you describe the kind of issues are you experiencing on Yosemite?

Carlo

dave_w 10-16-2015 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carlo (Post 78807)
Hi Dave,

Could you describe the kind of issues are you experiencing on Yosemite?

Carlo

Sure. Every time I put the screen to sleep using a hot corner or by inactivity, the DisplayLink-connected screen would not wake up. The other displays (both the inbuilt and DisplayPort screen) would both awake. From memory disconnecting and reconnecting or restarting rectified the issue but obviously wasn't practical.

At other times I also had some inconsistent issues where nothing would show except the cursor and a black background on the DisplayLink monitor. Minimising windows via the menu bar would show the minimising animation to the dock on the DisplayPort screen from where they should have been on the DisplayLink monitor.

While I'm at it (not sure if it's been resolved already) but I had to start using the DisplayPort/Thunderbolt port rather than the second output of the Kensington dock a while back due to inconsistent arrangement of the monitors every time I connected. This happened after moving to Yosemite, and not before.

Dave

Carlo 10-16-2015 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave_w (Post 78810)
Sure. Every time I put the screen to sleep using a hot corner or by inactivity, the DisplayLink-connected screen would not wake up. The other displays (both the inbuilt and DisplayPort screen) would both awake. From memory disconnecting and reconnecting or restarting rectified the issue but obviously wasn't practical.

At other times I also had some inconsistent issues where nothing would show except the cursor and a black background on the DisplayLink monitor. Minimising windows via the menu bar would show the minimising animation to the dock on the DisplayPort screen from where they should have been on the DisplayLink monitor.

While I'm at it (not sure if it's been resolved already) but I had to start using the DisplayPort/Thunderbolt port rather than the second output of the Kensington dock a while back due to inconsistent arrangement of the monitors every time I connected. This happened after moving to Yosemite, and not before.

Dave

Thank you Dave,

We'll try to reproduce the first issue, the second is already being investigated. We introduced a workaround for the third issue in version 2.4, that should be fine now.

Best regards,
Carlo

TigerRob 10-16-2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericslaw (Post 78806)
recent reboot of MBP15" revealed odd rendering problems exclusive to my DisplayLink USB video cards.

I'm was running DisplayLink 2.4.64766.0 on Yosemite 10.10.5.
Upgraded DisplayLink to 2.5b2 but problem still exists.

Workaround: disable hardware acceleration in chrome advanced settings.

Does not seem to affect normal apps like outlook, iterm2, skype (no video), etc.

I have also been seeing corrupted rendering of Chrome this morning. This is on Chrome Version 46.0.2490.71 (64-bit). OSX Yosemite 10.10.5. I recently upgraded to the 2.5b2 drivers - but have no idea if chrome recently updated itself. I'm pretty sure that I wasn't having this issue with he same config earlier in the week.

The workaround described by the OP also works for me.

SusanMatt 10-16-2015 05:39 PM

Hi

I am experiencing El Capitan issues with 2.5 beta 2. My monitor attached via mini display port is actually blanking out and coming back continually since install. Previously, on 2.4, the DisplayLink monitor would blank out and not come back unless I unplugged and re-plugged in. Could this software be affecting the thunderbolt/minidisplay port monitor?

Everything is running through a Belkin Thunderbolt dock, which I will try running without.

Thanks,
Susan

Model Identifier: MacBookAir5,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBA51.00EF.B03
System Version: OS X 10.11 (15A278b)
Boot Mode: Normal
External Monitors: 2 ASUS DVI (1 via minidisplay port/thunderbolt, 1 via USB DisplayLink)

Sinan 10-16-2015 09:16 PM

I'm using 2.5 Beta 2 on a Plugable USB 3.0 4K with a 2012 Mac Mini and Apple Cinema Display(minidisplayport). All seems OK, except when running "Capo" the middle of the Capo window where transport head is stops moving. Or it turns black. The rest of the Capo App window works correctly. Focus rite Mix Control works, iConnectivity app does. VG-99 Editor works fine. These are the only Apps I have on that monitor. Just giving this as a feedback. I'm extremely pleased with the product.

Comenius 10-16-2015 10:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Experiencing issues on 2.5b2 with latest version of Google Chrome on El Capitan. There's a weird visual glitch in the main content part of the tab, although the menus and bookmarks look normal. Firefox works fine. Chrome displays fine with the built in screen on the MacBook Air, but both external monitors exhibit this behavior. Screenshot attached.

dave_w 10-19-2015 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comenius (Post 78820)
Experiencing issues on 2.5b2 with latest version of Google Chrome on El Capitan. There's a weird visual glitch in the main content part of the tab, although the menus and bookmarks look normal. Firefox works fine. Chrome displays fine with the built in screen on the MacBook Air, but both external monitors exhibit this behavior. Screenshot attached.

I had this behaviour on Yosemite with v2.2 and v2.4 also, which is why i tried v2.5b2 originally. I think it may be a Chrome update that's caused it. Unchecking the following Chrome setting resolved it for me: Settings > Show advanced settings > System > Use hardware acceleration when available.

Dave

asdfsafd 10-19-2015 02:35 PM

Yep, disabling "Hardware acceleration" did it for me, too. Thanks.

luckman212 10-20-2015 01:33 AM

That fixed it on mine too. What is the overall impact of leaving this disabled? Does it run much slower, or eat battery etc??

saudor 10-21-2015 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckman212 (Post 78832)
That fixed it on mine too. What is the overall impact of leaving this disabled? Does it run much slower, or eat battery etc??

It runs slower since you're now relying more on the CPU to process things (i.e. rendering) that previously used the GPU (and left the CPU "free" to do other things). Might be good to use a browser like safari for DL monitors.

Comenius 10-21-2015 12:57 PM

Disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome also worked for me. Hopefully this won't be needed in a future release.

dcoulson 10-21-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Comenius (Post 78854)
Disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome also worked for me. Hopefully this won't be needed in a future release.

The rendering issue is fixed in the current Chrome beta. I'm running "Version 47.0.2526.27 beta (64-bit)" and it works fine with my DL display.

TigerRob 10-22-2015 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcoulson (Post 78863)
The rendering issue is fixed in the current Chrome beta. I'm running "Version 47.0.2526.27 beta (64-bit)" and it works fine with my DL display.

Do you haver any idea when this will make it out of beta and into an official release?

Thanks for the info.

alphadog00 10-22-2015 12:15 PM

I am noticing a couple issues i have not seen mentioned.

I have brand new MBA Retina (13" 2015) - I powered it on did some updates and installed firefox and displaylink drivers - the issues i have seen:

1. The Dock on my HDMI external monitor is white instead of a semi-transparent - it sounds like something since mavericks, but i can't remember

2. I did update to El Capitan last night. And this AM, I had one instance where my mouse pointer changed to vertical bars with little tails top and bottom - so not exactly a pipe symbol. Moving mouse back to main screen changed it back to an arrow and all is fine.

EDIT:

3. Colors in title bars are really mottled and off color. The laptop has gray title bars, but the external monitor is purplish with mottling/gradient. Just moving the mouse around changes this too. I have an Asus monitor running at 1080P.

EDIT2 - 1 and 3 resolved by checking reduce transparency in accessibility

Nothing really bad at this point, but annoying.

thk1234 10-22-2015 12:48 PM

No Windows are Displayed - only background and mouse cursor

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmontelo (Post 78765)
Hi Carlo,

I'm on OS X 10.10.5 and with 2.5 Beta 2, my DisplayLink screen only displays my desktop image and the mouse cursor. If I drag a window over to the DisplayLink screen, I only see the desktop image and mouse cursor.

Some extra info, I have 3 displays on a Mac Mini 2012, main center display = HDMI, right display = thunderbolt, left display = DisplayLink USB

I have reverted back to 2.4 and everything is working again. I am hoping to upgrade to OS X 10.11.1 but will hold off until a driver is available.

Thanks,
Patrick

I have the same Problems - 2 DVI connections on a ThinkPad docking Station.
Driver 2.5b2 OSX 10.11 worked fine with driver 2.4 on OSX 10.10

dcoulson 10-22-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TigerRob (Post 78866)
Do you haver any idea when this will make it out of beta and into an official release?

Not sure - You can track the bug here: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/i...tail?id=527556

luckman212 10-22-2015 03:33 PM

Latest comment says it will be pushed to v46 (current stable) in a few days...