DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Closed - Basic Graphics Theme Rendering (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   External monitor still not being redrawn correctly (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1518)

philg 02-27-2012 03:14 PM

External monitor still not being redrawn correctly

1 Attachment(s)
OK, let's see if I can attach all the information you need and also explain what I am seeing AFTER installing this Alpha release

All seems to work fine with an Aero scheme

BUT when I switch back to a Basic scheme things are still not working quite right

I am now working with the external monitor DUPLICATING my laptop screen

When I switch back to a Basic theme, the external monitor is now completely blank/black

When I move my cursor, a "trail" is left painting what should be on the screen. This happens with ALL graphics - not just the applications that were causing problems before

SO, things are now (if anything) worse than they were!

BUT at least I can work with an Aero theme for now

Hopefully this alpha release will improve

Phil G

PS Is there an easy way to revert to the old release??

PPS I am happy to work with you to try and resolve this issue with Windows 7 Basic themes

philg 02-27-2012 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK

I just discovered that there are new USB3 drivers on the Dell website

I have applied these, but if anything this has made the situation worse - now the external monitor just gets "rubbish" drawn on it

If I use a USB2 port, I'm back to the "painting with the cursor" behaviour unless I use an Aero theme

New debugging info attached

Phil G

philg 03-05-2012 02:59 PM

Can I assume that someone has actually looked at the diagnostics I uploaded a week ago?

All I have heard is a deafening silence :(

Phil G

Catalyst 03-06-2012 03:40 AM

Same sort of issues here

G'day Phil,

We're having much the same problem here on my end. We've got over 130 of the DynaDock V docks from Toshiba which use the DisplayLink chips and we have loads of issues with them.

Issue 1) Image Freezes on Dock - Requires power cycle to clear the image.

Issue 2) Any graphics processing is incredibly slow on external monitor running anything other than projector only display settings and/or win 7 basic theme.

We're going to do a limited release of the Alpha driver and see how it goes. Did it work at all for you?

Cheers,
Col

philg 03-06-2012 09:51 AM

Thanks Col

With the alpha release (which I now have installed 'cos I can't figure out how to go back to the GA release I had before!) everything seems to work wine with an Aero sceme (this is Win 7)

But with a classic theme, not good at all

The GA release draws everything OK apart from Media Player and Live Messenger windows

The alpha release doesn't draw anything OK at all - just seems to put repeated garbage in horizontal lines across the screen

Happy to help with the next iteration though

Phil G

Wim 03-06-2012 12:03 PM

Hi

We have been trying to reproduce this, but not been able to - even using a machine of the same spec.

Is it possible to take a picture of the corruption you see with the horizontal lines on the screen? Also, have you had any other USB graphics drivers installed at any time? Its a long shot, but could explain what you are seeing.

Thanks

Wim

philg 03-06-2012 12:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wim (Post 6006)
Hi

We have been trying to reproduce this, but not been able to - even using a machine of the same spec.

Is it possible to take a picture of the corruption you see with the horizontal lines on the screen? Also, have you had any other USB graphics drivers installed at any time? Its a long shot, but could explain what you are seeing.

Thanks

Wim

Of course, Now I can't reproduce it either :(

What I am now seeing is that under a classic theme, the borders of the windows seem to be draw OK (ALL windows that is) but the content only gets drawn, in 1/2 " squares, when I move the cursor around the screen

I've attached three photos

DSCF4488 shows the screen immediately after I switch to the external monitor ONLY - Window edges are all OK, but no content

4489 shows what happens when I move the cursor

4490 shows more of the Window content being revealed

So far as I know, the ONLY USB graphics drivers I have installed were the ones that came with my Kensington dock, updated versions of these and now your alpha release

I have upgraded the USB3 drivers themselves though, but I also see the same symptoms when I'm using a USB2 port

SO, ignore my "horizontal lines" comment - my issue is that Window contents are not drawn UNTIL the cursor moves over the window

Phil G

philg 03-16-2012 04:14 PM

Just found something REALLY irritating

I am using some Windows session recording software, and even using Windows Aero display when I start the recorder running, I get the same symptoms as above - the screen is only redrawn as I mouse over it

I stress - this IS using a Windows Aero

I am still using the alpha drivers from this forum as no-one has told me how I can get back to the production drivers I had before. That might be a useful next step for me - Please?

Phil G

philg 03-16-2012 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philg (Post 6160)
Just found something REALLY irritating

I am using some Windows session recording software, and even using Windows Aero display when I start the recorder running, I get the same symptoms as above - the screen is only redrawn as I mouse over it

I stress - this IS using a Windows Aero

I am still using the alpha drivers from this forum as no-one has told me how I can get back to the production drivers I had before. That might be a useful next step for me - Please?

Phil G

UPDATE - I just discovered that my recording software temporarily resets my Windows scheme to a Basic one and then puts me back to Aero on exiting!

Sorry for any confusion

philg 03-29-2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wim (Post 6006)
Hi

Thanks

Wim

Any updates to this issue?

Kensington just supplied me with a second docking station just to prove this is not a hardware issue (which, of course, it isn't) so I was wondering whether there are any new drivers due to be released?