DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Dell D6000 and KVM (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66562)

BruceLD 03-25-2019 07:39 PM

Dell D6000 and KVM

Hi all, a challenging scenario:

I run both a Macbook Pro and Dell Latitude 5490, both connected to a Fujitsu Siemens SCALEOVIEW L22W-7SD display, via a Belkin Flip KVM switch (with VGA connectivity).

The MBP runs VGA to mini display port via a converter, no issues.

An old Dell Latitude laptop had a direct VGA input from the KVM (via an ancient Dell PRO3X dock), and worked fine.

With the D6000/Latitude 5490, I'm using a 'StarTech.com DP2VGA2 DisplayPort To VGA Adapter, Active - 1080p, DP to VGA Converter' into the Dell D6000 DisplayLink port #1. The Dell Latitude 5490 isn't seeing anything useful in the way of EDID, and is therefore defaulting (with no editable option) as a Generic PnP monitor (Display Link control panel doesn't show ANY options for the driven display) with 640 x 480 resolution, which is a bit pants.

I have been able to capture an EDID file via the Macbook Pro for the display.

Is there any way to force the Latitude 5490/D6000 DisplayLink port/logic to use an external EDID file, that would fool the Dell tech to drive the Fujitsu monitor in the same way as the MBP does?

I know, I'm trying too many flawed concepts to make this work, but it did until I introduced the D6000/Latitude 5490. I'm trying to find out how to apply the EDID override approach to the situation, and am getting nowhere!

(Incidentally, I've also used a VGA to HDMI converter into the D6000 and even VGA Direct into the Latitude 5490 with the same (bad) result, so I think the EDID approach is the only way to be successful, if it's even possible).

I'd be most grateful for any advice

BruceLD 03-29-2019 11:12 AM

Does anyone from DisplayLink themselves monitor this forum? So far... Crickets!

BruceLD 05-11-2019 03:29 PM

Is anyone able to assist? Beginning to feel I made a terrible mistake with my investment in DisplayLink

AlbanRampon 05-13-2019 08:23 AM

Hello,
No, there's no possibility to apply a third party EDID to a display.
Also, before being handed over to the OS, the EDID is filtered with the adapter capability.
Regards,
Alban

BruceLD 05-13-2019 01:22 PM

Many thanks for the response. I hope it relates specifically to DisplayLink or the D6000, as I have previously witnessed the creation of EDID profiles within Digital Signage to overcome such issues.

AlbanRampon 05-15-2019 06:23 PM

Hello Bruce,

DisplayPort compliance tests dictate behaviour which must be followed to bear the logo. Invalid EDID handling is part of these tests.

We could look at if/why your particular display EDID reading fails by looking at what DisplayLinkManager.log tells me.
But if the EDID reading doesn't work with direct connect either, it could be because of spec compliance as well.

Regards,
Alban