DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   CLOSED: 5.5 Software Release (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Problems with Nvidia Driver 260.89_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_w hql (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=500)

cromlech 10-18-2010 07:55 PM

Problems with Nvidia Driver 260.89_desktop_win7_winvista_64bit_international_w hql

Hi!

The new Nvidia Driver 260.89 is not compatible with Displaylink 5.5. With both installed, games like Dawn of War 2, Mafia 2 and Dragon Age Origin won't start. After uninstalling of displaylink all games work. I had to roll back to Nvidia Driver 258.96 to make my system work again with Displaylink. :(

I'm running Win7 64bit Home Premium

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9311/40734032.png

Per Knudsen 10-19-2010 11:23 PM

Samme here !

Exatly the same result here. and with nearly the same hardware/software.

Worked with Nvidia driver 258.96.
Dont work with Nvidia 260.xx Beta and the newest whql 260.89 driver

Regards
Per Knudsen

Wim 10-20-2010 01:00 PM

Thanks for raising this guys. We'll try and reproduce and hopefully have a fix. Looks like NVidia have changed something in their driver that is causing issues.

Thanks

Wim

icemanmelb 10-21-2010 05:29 AM

confirmed, not working on my Alienware M15x i7 laptop with the latest Nvidia driver either.

ice

dgingeri 11-10-2010 04:00 PM

I'm getting a similar thing with my 7" Lilliput monitor. I get to the login screen, enter my password, and the system hangs. I have to uninstall my 7" monitor to get into the system. I have a GTX 470 with rev 260.99 drivers.

quantum 11-10-2010 05:13 PM

Same for the 260.xx 32bit nVidia drivers.
NO 3D-Game can be run.
Sadly, Call of Duty - Black Ops only runs on 260.89, 260.99 with 3D-Vision.

rafarataneneces 11-13-2010 08:49 PM

Same problem here, I have 260.99, GTX 460, Windows 7 64-bit

I can't even play videos, all my videos (MP4, AVI, MKV...) are not playable anymore

Only solution is to uninstall DisplayLink software

rafarataneneces 11-13-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wim (Post 2041)
Thanks for raising this guys. We'll try and reproduce and hopefully have a fix. Looks like NVidia have changed something in their driver that is causing issues.

Thanks

Wim

I am going to return this item for a full refund.
Wim responded on October 20th, and today, November 13th, we still don't have a solution.

I like the Display Link idea, but I am not willing to wait 3 months after Nvidia releases a driver update to use this software

This is why companies loose money and sales, because people that happily pay $160 for a solution that should work, return the item to the store after realizing they have to wait 3 months or so each time Nvidia releases new drivers.

Unfortunately, drivers from Nvidia are crucial for new games.
For example, games like Call of Duty Black Ops play horribly on a PC, so we're waiting for a patch or a driver update.

I am not going to stop playing Call of Duty Black Ops for 3 months because DisplayLink doesn't releases an update

It's unfortunate that software destroys the good things that hardware does

cromlech 11-14-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

It's unfortunate that software destroys the good things that hardware does
I would have never bought my I-Mo ,if I had known this. This is not a slow support, its a DEAD support! I'm stuck with this crappy old nvidia driver.:mad:

Wim 11-15-2010 09:44 AM

Hi All

We have just released v5.4 M1, which contains a fix for this NVidia problem. This was the first release we could have delivered this fix in, and we've done it in under a month from it being first reported.

Please let us know if this fixes the issue. The fix will also be in v5.5 M1 released at the end of November.

Thanks

Wim

rafarataneneces 11-15-2010 04:11 PM

Hello

I have version
DisplayLink-5.5.27797.exe

is version v5.4 M1 supposed to fix the problem with Nvidia 260.99 drivers?
Please tell me where to download it, thanks a lot

rafarataneneces 11-15-2010 04:17 PM

Ok, I downloaded DisplayLink USB Graphics Windows Driver 5.4 M1 http://www.displaylink.com/support/downloads.php

I still have no idea why version 5.4 M1 is more advanced than version 5.5, that's pretty confusing for end users

I'll give it a try though

quantum 11-15-2010 05:31 PM

5.4 M1 give me the exact same bad results. Doesn't work with NVIDIA 260.99 :confused:

rafarataneneces 11-15-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quantum (Post 2160)
5.4 M1 give me the exact same bad results. Doesn't work with NVIDIA 260.99 :confused:

I am trying DisplayLink.5.4.28638 and as soon as I connect the USB dongle, Display Link launches the installation.

As soon as I read "The screen might flash for a few moments", I know it's downhill from there.

After that, I tried playing videos in MKV, MP4... and they ALL fail. Even plain old AVIs that don't have fancy codecs, everthing fails.

It seems like it might be a problem only with Windows 7, I have no idea

I AM GOING TO RETURN THIS ITEM WHILE I CAN

This software is destroying my Nvidia experience

The worst part is that this DisplayLink-5.4.28638 supposedly fixes this issue

I know the 260 driver was released October 15th, so today is exactly one month after that.

Should I wait for yet another software update, or should I return the item?

I have no idea what to do know, but one thing is certain, I hate spending $160 on a product that has so many bugs

I can't play videos anymore, that's ridiculous

The ONLY reason I bought this is to play videos and watch them on my living room

rafarataneneces 11-15-2010 06:16 PM

Hello.

I can confirm this error only happens with VLC

VLC is my favorite player, that plays MKV, MOV, AVI, MP4... pretty much everything

As soon as I launch VLC, Windows Aero changes to basic, but I can't play the video

VLC works 100% great without Display Link enabled

I tried playing videos on iTunes and Adobe Flash Player, they work

but with VLC, something weird happens

rafarataneneces 11-15-2010 06:36 PM

ok

f*¢k YEAH!!!!

Go to VLC
Tools -> Preferences

Click on Video

select Output
chose OpenGL video output (default is DirectX)

restart

Now VLC works with DisplayLink :)

Tested with Windows 7 64-bit, Aero enabled, now everything works :)

Per Knudsen 11-16-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quantum (Post 2160)

Same again ! dont work with NVIDIA's newest driver. 5.4 M1 result in same error (refuse to run anything, that need DirectX to run) :confused:

Regards
Per Knudsen - Denmark

bernie 11-16-2010 03:39 PM

5.4M1 not helping: was 5.5 uninstalled first?

I'm sure this is the case, but for those who have installed 5.4 M1 and found it's not helping, could someone confirm that the 5.5 driver was uninstalled first, before installing 5.4 M1? (to make sure you're really getting the 5.4 M1 bits).

Sorry, just want to confirm 5.4 M1 isn't solving the issues ...

cromlech 11-16-2010 08:00 PM

Hi!

It works for me... finally!:D

VLC runs only proper on OpenGL.

Uninstalled old Displaylink first, then the old Nvidia Driver.
After that I installed Nvidia Driver 260.99 and then the DisplayLink 5.4.28638 .
Did a full reboot between every uninstall-install step.

rafarataneneces 11-16-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cromlech (Post 2174)
Hi!

It works for me... finally!:D

VLC runs only proper on OpenGL.

Uninstalled old Displaylink first, then the old Nvidia Driver.
After that I installed Nvidia Driver 260.99 and then the DisplayLink 5.4.28638 .
Did a full reboot between every uninstall-install step.

Can you please tell me if other programs that use DirectX (Call of Duty Black Ops, Fallout New Vegas, Battlefield Bad Company 2... work ok?)

I returned my item to the store, I really don't like something messing with my DirectX

plus, Display Link never helped me solve my issue, I solved the issue myself, I discovered how to run VLC, so the tech support is pretty lame

However, I was indeed impressed by the technology, so who knows, maybe I'll give it another try next month

Please post your experience here with DirectX applications (players, games...)

I appreciate your support, I might buy the item again in December if the issues are fixed

Now, for the record A CHEAPER SOLUTION is to buy

HDMI to CAT6 adapter
sells for $45 in Amazon
75 feet of CAT6 sell for $8 at amazon

I am going to do that, I have no problem going to Home Depot, and installing small clips that will hook my wires to the corner of my walls, making the white CAT6 cable almost invisible to the eye

Then I don't have to worry about adding another layer of software that will prevent me from enjoying my current games, etc, etc

So far my experience with Display Link is negative

plus cable is rock solid quality and sound

variable 11-17-2010 12:34 AM

I'm using the nVidia 260.99 (8.17.12.6099) drivers on a GTX-460 and DisplayLink 5.4.28638 software for a DoubleSight DS-70U. I previously had 5.5.27797 installed, but uninstalled and rebooted before installing 5.4 M1. This is on a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 box.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 seems to play fine in this combination on my HDMI display. However Windows Media Center only shows a window border around an otherwise black screen in windowed mode or a completely black screen in fullscreen mode (on either my primary or USB monitor). When I uninstall DisplayLink it works fine. Rolling back to the nVidia 258.96 drivers resolves this issue when either version of DisplayLink is installed.

Let me know if I can provide more detailed information to engineering on this. I can also help test any pre-production engineering releases if you want.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, according to GPU-Z, CUDA and PhysX are disabled when DisplayLink is installed.

rafarataneneces 11-17-2010 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by variable (Post 2177)
I'm using the nVidia 260.99 (8.17.12.6099) drivers on a GTX-460 and DisplayLink 5.4.28638 software for a DoubleSight DS-70U. I previously had 5.5.27797 installed, but uninstalled and rebooted before installing 5.4 M1. This is on a Windows 7 Ultimate x64 box.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 seems to play fine in this combination on my HDMI display. However Windows Media Center only shows a window border around an otherwise black screen in windowed mode or a completely black screen in fullscreen mode (on either my primary or USB monitor). When I uninstall DisplayLink it works fine. Rolling back to the nVidia 258.96 drivers resolves this issue when either version of DisplayLink is installed.

Let me know if I can provide more detailed information to engineering on this. I can also help test any pre-production engineering releases if you want.

Thanks!

EDIT: Also, according to GPU-Z, CUDA and PhysX are disabled when DisplayLink is installed.

Thanks for your comments.

I will buy a Display Link device again ONLY IF the issues are resolved.

I returned my item to the store because of software incompatibilities.

Sooner or later (hopefully sooner), DisplayLink SHOULD work with 260.99, this is crucial for people with the latest GTX 400 and 500 cards

Thanks for reporting

oes 11-23-2010 04:39 PM

The 5.4 M1 drivers do not work correctly for me. I can not use Direct3D on any of the monitors with these drivers. OpenGL seems to work fine, but everything Direct3D (games, VLC, etc..) does not work. Direct3D will not even work on the non-directlink monitors while the 5.4 M1 drivers are in use. Granted it's an improvement over current 5.5 drivers since I couldn't even login to windows with those. I'm running 260 vid card with 260.99 64bit drivers on Win. 7 64bit. I'm considering returning this usb nonsense to the store and buying a cheap PCI video card to use as a secondary card for the extra monitors. Seems like a much more stable idea :-/.

variable 11-23-2010 05:08 PM

As OES mentioned, they fixed some interaction with DWM because at least we can log into Windows now. But, other oddities I've noticed are: 1. Can't play any video file in Windows Media Player (says codec not found - works fine after I uninstalled the DisplayLink drivers). 2. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit won't launch.

I just wanted a tiny secondary display for gadgets, IM, TeamSpeak, etc. while playing games on my primary. The only devices I found that are this tiny (< 9") are USB devices. It's worked flawlessly up until the Nvidia 260.99 drivers. I'm still available for beta testing if the engineers need some help.

rafarataneneces 11-23-2010 11:12 PM

Remove that software

Hey guys

my advice

1) REMOVE the software
2) RETURN it to the store

buy something nice with $150-$180 (whatever you payed)

Things that were not working for me
1) VLC videos
2) Media Player Classic

VLC will only play sounds
MPC will give me an error about DX9

If you REALLY want to watch PC in your Living Room, I recommend

$45 HDMI to CAT5
then buy a Coaxial Cable Staples from Home Depot

They are small white things that allow you to put the cable in the corners

With a little over $55 you'll have HDMI (video and audio), for a distance of up to 50 feet (1920x1080), or even 100 feet (but resolution is not as high)

That's what I'm going to do here, no point of trying to make a software that damages DirectX work nicely with Windows

Believe me, if you didn't made a recovery point or a Norton Ghost image before installing this software, you're in for a big problem.

Even after I uninstalled this software, problems persisted

so in my mind, the software is REALLY REALLY bad

Make a complete backup of your Windows hard drive before installing this

Be warned

Pawel 11-24-2010 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oes (Post 2197)
The 5.4 M1 drivers do not work correctly for me. I can not use Direct3D on any of the monitors with these drivers. OpenGL seems to work fine, but everything Direct3D (games, VLC, etc..) does not work. Direct3D will not even work on the non-directlink monitors while the 5.4 M1 drivers are in use. Granted it's an improvement over current 5.5 drivers since I couldn't even login to windows with those. I'm running 260 vid card with 260.99 64bit drivers on Win. 7 64bit. I'm considering returning this usb nonsense to the store and buying a cheap PCI video card to use as a secondary card for the extra monitors. Seems like a much more stable idea :-/.

Are you running in Basic or Aero mode? Please refer to this FAQ to see the difference between these two modes.

Thanks

rafarataneneces 11-24-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawel (Post 2202)
Are you running in Basic or Aero mode? Please refer to this FAQ to see the difference between these two modes.

Thanks

I tried with a clean boot of Windows, Basic mode, Aero mode

I would like DisplayLink to

1) Recognize there are problems
2) Tell us if they know the source of these problems

I mean, we are complaining, and you ask a question

"Are you running Basic or Aero mode"??

What does that have to do with anything???

I know some users are a bit inexperienced, but when you ask users questions (like the one you did), it's an educated way of saying "you're inexperienced, you're doing something wrong"

I would appreciate if DisplayLink can just say

"we are aware of the problems, we're working on it"

instead of asking those questions

I tried running a Clean Boot, didn't worked.

I even tried running Display Link inside a brand new Windows 7 Virtual Machine (VMWare), and the same error happened

Wim 11-24-2010 12:14 PM

Hi rafarataneneces

I understand your frustration, however we are trying to find why some of you are still having issues. We need your help to work together while we try and get to the bottom of the problem.

The way DisplayLink renders in Aero and Basic mode are different so knowing the state of this is important to getting to the root cause. If you can help answer our questions, the quicker we can find a fix.

Help us help you and we should be able to fix this a lot quicker. We thought we found what had changed in the NVIDIA driver, and made the fix in v5.4 M1, but perhaps there is something else.

Thanks

Wim

rafarataneneces 11-24-2010 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wim (Post 2208)
Hi rafarataneneces

I understand your frustration, however we are trying to find why some of you are still having issues. We need your help to work together while we try and get to the bottom of the problem.

The way DisplayLink renders in Aero and Basic mode are different so knowing the state of this is important to getting to the root cause. If you can help answer our questions, the quicker we can find a fix.

Help us help you and we should be able to fix this a lot quicker. We thought we found what had changed in the NVIDIA driver, and made the fix in v5.4 M1, but perhaps there is something else.

Thanks

Wim

I don't care if I have to send 100 mails to the author, I am here to collaborate

The one thing that aggravates me A LOT is the fact that so many users are having problems with this software, and it's been already 3 months since the release of the latest drivers 260

I remember you said you "released the software within a month"

so, let's stop hiding the sun with one finger shall we??

FACTS
1) software is 3 months old
2) software works but all DirectX applications stop working
3) we have NO IDEA when will the problems be solved

So for now, the ONLY solution is to
1) Return the item
2) Wait

I do advise everybody to take the same steps that I did

I am just asking Display Link's creator not to hide the facts that I've stated previously! :(

roguevoice 11-24-2010 06:22 PM

260.99/260.98 w/ 5.4 M1

I have installed both 260.99 and 260.98 with 5.4 m1 with no success. My 2 video cards are NVIDIA Geoforce 7600 GS with 256MB RAM each. I am currently running Windows 7 (64 Bit). Even before the update to 260.99, I noticed that Displaylink devices, which I have 3 did not properly function without Aero enabled. Each monitor would routinely blank out if it did not have focus.

As of now, this is still the case because I have lossed Aero support again. When Displaylink devices are un attached, I have Aero Support.

What is the turnaround time for a fix?

Thanks, been with you guys since the beginning.

variable 11-24-2010 06:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Hi Pawel. I am running in Aero mode.

rafarataneneces 11-24-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roguevoice (Post 2211)
I have installed both 260.99 and 260.98 with 5.4 m1 with no success. My 2 video cards are NVIDIA Geoforce 7600 GS with 256MB RAM each. I am currently running Windows 7 (64 Bit). Even before the update to 260.99, I noticed that Displaylink devices, which I have 3 did not properly function without Aero enabled. Each monitor would routinely blank out if it did not have focus.

As of now, this is still the case because I have lossed Aero support again. When Displaylink devices are un attached, I have Aero Support.

What is the turnaround time for a fix?

Thanks, been with you guys since the beginning.

It's been 3 months since the release of 260 drivers.
However Display Link seems to release a new update every month or so

I hope some day the issues can be fixed

this are MAJOR MAJOR issues (all your DirectX programs stop working properly), so right now all I can say is that I hope these issues get fixed asap

I was really discouraged with this technology, I payed for something that was supposed to be better

Being late 4-6 months in drivers, not my idea of staying in the Edge :)

oes 11-24-2010 09:30 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Pawel,

I'm running in Aero mode, but I noticed when my displaylink drivers/software were installed that it would force me into Basic when I would try to launch VLC or something else using DirectX. It doesn't do that when I have the displaylink drivers/software uninstalled.

oes 11-24-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rafarataneneces (Post 2205)
I mean, we are complaining, and you ask a question

"Are you running Basic or Aero mode"??

What does that have to do with anything???

I know some users are a bit inexperienced, but when you ask users questions (like the one you did), it's an educated way of saying "you're inexperienced, you're doing something wrong"

They ask questions because they're trying to find out what people experiencing problems may have in common. Perhaps there is some known issue with how Aero and Basic themes work with DirectX or Windows APIs when using DisplayLink software. We really don't know since we don't design this software.

I'm guessing they are not a very large company and it's possible their current software works fine on their test machines. If we can't give them information about our particular hardware, operating system and software it will take longer for them to resolve the issue.

kylose 11-25-2010 01:44 AM

Experiencing same issue

System details will follow....

I'd like to chime in as a NVIDIA GTX 260 core216 owner that I'm experiencing the same issue between the 260.99 drivers and my displaylink device. I've tried both the 5.4 M1 drivers and the 5.5 drivers, with no relief. I'm still unable to play D3D games with any displaylink drivers installed.

I was using a previous version of the NVIDIA drivers (couldn't tell you which at this point, but I updated to attempt to attain better stability with COD:BO) and it was working just fine. As soon as I upgraded to 260.99 I experience an infinite loop of a black screen flashing to desktop, as if it's trying to change resolution but can't and it never stops trying. Uninstalling DisplayLink drivers and rebooting allows the system to act normally and play D3D games.

I can also confirm that the VLC trick works for me as well. Thanks for that whoever posted it.

System specs:

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R motherboard
Core i7-920 (stock clock)
Nvidia EVGA GTX 260 core216 (stock clocks and 260.99 drivers)
6 GB DDR3
Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate Edition

DisplayLink device:
EVGA UV Plus

While far from flawless, I'm generally satisfied with the product and would love to continue using it.

Wim 11-25-2010 09:21 AM

Hi All

Thanks for helping with this. We have done some investigation, and yes we have found that there is still an issue with the NVidia 260.89 driver. Apologies for this.

As this is affecting so many of you, we're doing a fix today, then packaging it up into a release. We need to give this some further testing (to make sure nothing else is broken) and sign the release with Microsoft, so this should be available by 6th December at the latest. It will be v5.5 M1.

If you can hold on until this date, then we should have a fix that works for all of you.

Thanks

Wim

variable 11-25-2010 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yay! Thanks guys! Just in case it helps in the future, I found the support utility in another post. The output is attached.

chrisc 12-01-2010 09:21 PM

I have just upgraded video, DisplayLink and VLC software. I don't know if I had a problem before since I didn't try but now I want to make more use of the DisplayLink. I have 3 monitors with the DisplayLink connected via an adapter to an HDMI input. Running XP 32 bit.
VLC is 1.1.5
nVidia is 260.99
DisplayLink is 5.5.27797
WMP plays back AVI's fine on the monitor but no picture playback via VLC.
I am guessing that my problem will be fixed with 5.5 M1 when it comes out ?

My main use is showing photos and this works okay. Normally I would find other ways to do this but the DisplayLink will also work from a laptop in remote locations hence why I am continuing to play with it.

Wim 12-03-2010 01:01 PM

Hi All

I've just put v5.5 M1 on the DisplayLink website for download. This should fix the issue with the latest NVidia driver.

Thanks

Wim

variable 12-04-2010 04:11 AM

All my issues have been resolved. I got my baby monitor back! Thanks guys.