DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Windows Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Mac OS X and Windows 7 Pro work around for USB Monitor(s) (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64056)

USB 2.0 to VGA Pro 08-30-2015 06:20 PM

Mac OS X and Windows 7 Pro work around for USB Monitor(s)

Mac OS X and Windows 7 Pro work around for USB Monitor(s) (SIIG USB 2.0 to VGA Pro) Corruption – Vertical Black Bars

Using:

OS X 10.10.5 (Windows 7 Pro, see additional comments below)
DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Mac OS X Version 2.4
SIIG.com - USB 2.0 to VGA Pro
3 HP Monitors (Model: HP S2031) (one connected via HDMI to DVI Adapter, one connected via Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter, and one connected via SIIG.com – USB 2.0 to VGA Pro

Issue:

Corruption on the left and right sides of attached USB monitor (black vertical bars on left and right side of USB monitor). Aspect ratio on USB monitor does not appear correct as a result of the aforementioned black bars. Entire monitor not being used on USB connected device due to black vertical bars.

Solution (Concise):

Step 1: Install version 2.4
Step 2: Uninstall version 2.4
Step 3: Install version 2.1

Solution (Detailed):

Step 1: Disconnect USB monitor(s) from your computer.

Step 2: Uninstall the version of DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Mac OS X Version x.x that is currently installed on your computer. Then restart your computer, when instructed via the on screen prompt, in order to complete the uninstall process. If you do not have DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Mac OS X installed on your computer proceed to the next step.

Step 3: Download and install DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Mac OS X Version 2.4. Then restart your computer, when instructed via the on screen prompt, in order to complete the install process.

Step 4: Uninstall DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Mac OS X Version 2.4. Then restart your computer, when instructed via the on screen prompt, in order to complete the uninstall process.

Step 5: Download and install DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Mac OS X Version 2.1. Then restart your computer, when instructed via the on screen prompt, in order to complete the install process.

Step 6: Connect USB monitor(s) and aforementioned issue is resolved.

Additional Comments:

I used these steps on a Mac Mini Late 2012 and a MacBook Pro Early 2015 and they worked on both. I know the DisplayLink website states that Version 2.1 is not compatible with OS X 10.10.5 but for some reason if you install 2.4, uninstall 2.4, and install 2.1 it works.

I even went as far as reformatting both computers and tried installing version 2.1 first and the USB monitor did not work. Then I uninstalled 2.1, installed 2.4, uninstalled 2.4, and reinstalled 2.1 and it solved all of my issues.

I am not sure how or why these steps worked but I performed them and I am 4 for 4 on it working.

I wonder if during the uninstall process some files are left from version 2.4 that version 2.1 leverages?

I hope you find this solution helpful, if yes please vote for it. If you have any questions please leave comments and I will do my best to respond. FYI this is the only DisplayLink device I use so if you have questions on other devices or software I will not be able to assist.

Windows 7 Pro users: I have had the same issues with the vertical black bars on the USB monitor(s) when using the most recent versions of DisplayLink USB Graphics Software for Windows. I have found that installing an older version of the software (Version 7.6 M2, no longer available on DisplayLink’s website) resolves the monitor issues. You should be able to follow the steps mentioned above for Mac but instead use the Windows version on a Windows computer!

ChristianP 09-01-2015 04:03 PM

Thanks for posting this report.
The problem it's not a known issue on Mac.
Is the corruption visible on a screenshot of the DisplayLink screen? Please use cmd+shift+3 to grab the screenshot and check the resulting image files on your desktop.
In case it's not visible in the screenshots, could you please upload a photo of the DisplayLink screen showing the corruption?
Do you use the DisplayLink screen in mirror mode or extended mode?
Could you also please grab the DisplayLink logs using the debug tool here, while running 2.4 driver and when the problem is visible:
Mac Debug Tool

and upload the output file here or send it through http://support.displaylink.com?
Thanks for your help!