DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Macbook Pro M1 Dual Monitors ? (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67532)

mlrichardson 01-11-2021 10:04 PM

Macbook Pro M1 Dual Monitors ?

So I have seen multiple threads with regards to supporting multiple monitors. None are quite like the set up I have and I just cannot seem to get my MacBook Pro M1 chip to display multiple monitors at the same time. Here is my set up.
Macbook Pro 13 in M1
16GB Memory
Two LG Monitors - LG UltraFine 5K Display 27MD5KL
Targus Docking Station with Display Link - DOCK570USZ
Display Link Manager 1.2
USB-C to Displayport adapters (2)
Think i have tried just about everything but cannot get both displays or for that matter just 1 display working thru the docking station, monitor does work by going directly to thunderbolt on Mac. I know the mac is recognizing the docking station as I can see in hardware profile and I can connect a usb bluetooth keyboard to docking station and works fine. Just cannot detect the monitors thru the docking station.
Thanks in advance
Lee

turbosess 01-27-2021 10:06 PM

Did you ever figure anything out? I have the exact same setup - M1 MBP with 2 LG UltraFine 5K displays. I can only get output to one monitor. I tried the CalDigit TB3 with USB-C to HDMI plugable adapter to the other monitor, but no dice.

raswan77 01-27-2021 10:49 PM

I too am on an M1 MBP... I'm trying to use an OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini adaptor with 2 HMDI ports. DisplayLink seems to be running fine, but never says a monitor is attached. One Moniot displays fine, but when I plug in the second monitor, the one the was plugged in goes black and the other goes fuzzy. Not Sur if it is because I need to different adapters or maybe OWC isn't supported... or maybe because both monitors are the same... Dell S2715H... at a complete loss.

AlbanRampon 01-28-2021 09:13 AM

Hello,

@mlrichardson, Max possible is Ultrawide 5K (5120x1440) on macOS with that product generation, not 5120x2880. Ultrawide 5K bandwidth fits in the bandwidth possible in one DisplayPort cable for that chip, but not full height 5K.

@turbosess, same about Ultrawide 5K and this products doe not use DisplayLink technology so the app has no effect on them and standard 1 external screen limit applies. The product limitation on Apple M1 cannot be addressed by a software update from us.

@raswan77 this products does not use DisplayLink technology so the app has no effect on them and standard 1 external screen limit applies. The product limitation on Apple M1 cannot be addressed by a software update from us.

Regards,
Alban

raswan77 01-28-2021 02:23 PM

Thanks! Is there a list of recommended hubs that I can purchase that are DisplayLink recommended/certified?

jmc 01-28-2021 09:28 PM

I have the Plugable UD-ULTC4K operating with (3) Dell U2719D screens, horizontally until vertical rotation is supported by the driver. One connects by HDMI, two connect by DisplayPort. The MacBook is closed in clamshell mode and all three screens remain operable. The built-in display becomes a fourth independent display when the laptop is open. Power is delivered back over the USB-C cable.

It has been flawless.

AlbanRampon 01-29-2021 01:19 PM

Hello,
Here is a list of products we have tested and bear our logo.
https://www.displaylink.com/products/find?cat=1&num=2
You can change the search parameters to best suit what you're looking for.
Alternatively, if you tell me what you intend to connect to the dock, I can tune the search parameters for you.
Kind regards,
Alban

natureminded 05-12-2021 04:26 AM

Suggestions for 5K 60HZ USB-C + 1080P VGA/DVI to HDMI?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 91537)
Hello,
Here is a list of products we have tested and bear our logo.
https://www.displaylink.com/products/find?cat=1&num=2
You can change the search parameters to best suit what you're looking for.
Alternatively, if you tell me what you intend to connect to the dock, I can tune the search parameters for you.
Kind regards,
Alban

@AlbanRampon -- Thanks for sharing this link to suggested docks. I'm seeking the same here, hoping to hook up 2 displays to my M1 Mac Mini. I've been having success with my 5K 60HZ monitor over USBC, but seem to be having trouble with my DVI > HDMI 1080P monitor. I ordered a new cable, so we'll see if this remedies the issue (connected via HDMI port the monitor is flickering in and out of detection).

I was wondering what docks you might recommend for the following setup:

- 1x 5K 60HZ LG 49" UltraWide via USB-C
- 1x 1080P Dell 23" VGA or DVI connection options -> HDMI

I have a 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and trying to get the same setup I had previously with my Intel based Mac.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

mbust 05-12-2021 09:24 AM

Until I got my DisplayPort Icy Box USB3.0 docking station (dual video output) I had to have my MacBook Pro M1 (16GB 2T) connected only to a Samsung U32J59X 32-inch monitor. When I got the docking station, I was able to add a HP22W monitor, so that I now have three screens (unable to run with the lid closed, but that is a known issue). Unfortunately, with the docking station the 32-inch monitor runs only at 1920 pixel resolution, whereas without it was functioning at 3800+ pixels. I know it is not a limitation of the docking station which is capable of running two monitors at 4096 each. I suppose it is a limitation of DisplayLink?

AlbanRampon 05-12-2021 10:27 AM

Hello natureminded,
Can you give the reference of the display?
if it does charging and also does USB, you might be able to only buy a USB->DVI adapter to add to the monitor via USB2 as it's good enough for 1080p.
Alternatively, you can use a docking station and connect the LG display via DisplayPort to the dock instead of USB-C, like I do with both my LG monitors at home.
At the office, I have a HDMI to DVI cable on one of my Dell monitors, so that's also a possibility via a docking station.

Hello mbust,
We will be working around this macOS 11.3 unfortunate change in DisplayLink Manager app 1.3.1 currently in tests. In the meantime, third party app Retina Display Menu can add the 4K mode back immediately.

Kind regards,
Alban

natureminded 05-12-2021 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 91887)
Hello natureminded,
Can you give the reference of the display?
if it does charging and also does USB, you might be able to only buy a USB->DVI adapter to add to the monitor via USB2 as it's good enough for 1080p.
Alternatively, you can use a docking station and connect the LG display via DisplayPort to the dock instead of USB-C, like I do with both my LG monitors at home.
At the office, I have a HDMI to DVI cable on one of my Dell monitors, so that's also a possibility via a docking station.

Hi @AlbanRampon -- thanks so much for your response. Yes, my display is an LG HDR DQHD 49" -- exact model is: 49WL95C-WE. To achieve the max output of 5120x1440, afaik, I need the USB-C connection (it does route power to a macbook also when plugged in, however I'm using a mac mini with AC power).

I have an existing USBC dock, that has 2 HDMI ports on it, however it was a cheaper dock off amazon and when both the USB-C cable to the 5K 49" monitor and the dock are plugged in, the monitor connected via HDMI does not turn on / get recognized (likely an M1 related issue, as works fine on my intel based mac).

Would something like this work? Targus USB-C Universal Dual Video 4K Laptop Docking Station or Plugable USB-C Triple Display Docking Station

The Targus one seems nice...could just keep the USB-C right to 1 Thunderbolt port, and the DVI -> HDMI into one of the docks above? (and of course dock connects to mac mini via USB-C)

So TL;DR:

- Hoping with the 49" 5K to obviously keep the max res of 5120 x 1440 (I think USB-C is required for this, although maybe display port will work also
- The other monitor, is just 1080P, so less picky, would just need to be connected from one of its DVI or VGA in ports

mbust 05-12-2021 03:19 PM

Thank you, @AlbanRampon. I'll be eagerly waiting for the upgrade. In the meantime, I just disconnected the 32-inch monitor from DisplayLink and connected it directly to the second port on the MacBook Pro. That has resolved the issue temporarily, as I can run that one directly as the single supported monitor on the M1 and use the docking station to run the second monitor.

AlbanRampon 05-13-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natureminded (Post 91884)
@AlbanRampon -- Thanks for sharing this link to suggested docks. I'm seeking the same here, hoping to hook up 2 displays to my M1 Mac Mini. I've been having success with my 5K 60HZ monitor over USBC, but seem to be having trouble with my DVI > HDMI 1080P monitor. I ordered a new cable, so we'll see if this remedies the issue (connected via HDMI port the monitor is flickering in and out of detection).

I was wondering what docks you might recommend for the following setup:

- 1x 5K 60HZ LG 49" UltraWide via USB-C
- 1x 1080P Dell 23" VGA or DVI connection options -> HDMI

I have a 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and trying to get the same setup I had previously with my Intel based Mac.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

Hello,
As it's a mac mini, I understand you're not constantly disconnecting and reconnecting it. I assumed it was a laptop. So, I personally would keep the direct connection of the LG display to the mac mini via USB-C even if it does DisplayPort (I checked the user guide). Then, you can use another adapter for the 1080p display like one of the top ones on: https://www.displaylink.com/products...um=1&vid_vga=1

Kind regards,
Alban

assquad 05-13-2021 10:17 PM

Hello, I have 13' 2021 Macbook Pro with M1, latest OS, 2 screen HP E243, i have used 1 usb-c hub with 2 HDMI, only 1 display was working, now bought OKX docking station and when connected via 2x HDMI, or 1xHDMI + 1 DisplayPort Both screen works as mirrors and in Arrangement i see only mac screen and 1 HP screen. Still DisplayLink show as no devices connected. tried to reinstall software but no results. Can someone help?

Regards
Michał

AlbanRampon 05-13-2021 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by assquad (Post 91899)
Hello, I have 13' 2021 Macbook Pro with M1, latest OS, 2 screen HP E243, i have used 1 usb-c hub with 2 HDMI, only 1 display was working, now bought OKX docking station and when connected via 2x HDMI, or 1xHDMI + 1 DisplayPort Both screen works as mirrors and in Arrangement i see only mac screen and 1 HP screen. Still DisplayLink show as no devices connected. tried to reinstall software but no results. Can someone help?

Regards
Michał

Hello Michał,
You'd need to give the model as the brand is not enough to know.
Only being able to clone the displays in the sign of using an MST dock on macOS, which means it does not use DisplayLink technology. This tends to be confirmed by the fact you are saying the app does not detect DisplayLink hardware.
The DisplayLink Manager app cannot change the hardware limitation of the product, and only works with DisplayLink chips.
macOS does not support MST, even on the Intel ones. MST docks only offer two different displays on platform supporting MST, like Windows 10. This article could give you more details on what MST is and the limitations. DisplayLink technology does not rely on MST.
Kind regards,
Alban

assquad 05-13-2021 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 91900)
Hello Michał,
You'd need to give the model as the brand is not enough to know.
Only being able to clone the displays in the sign of using an MST dock on macOS, which means it does not use DisplayLink technology. This tends to be confirmed by the fact you are saying the app does not detect DisplayLink hardware.
The DisplayLink Manager app cannot change the hardware limitation of the product, and only works with DisplayLink chips.
macOS does not support MST, even on the Intel ones. MST docks only offer two different displays on platform supporting MST, like Windows 10. This article could give you more details on what MST is and the limitations. DisplayLink technology does not rely on MST.
Kind regards,
Alban

Thanks Alban for quick reply
My docking station is OKX Model U002 which example can be found under below link
https://www.amazon.com/OKX-Docking-S.../dp/B08CB4RWRV
Based on description i believe that something i made incorrectly because its should support DisplayLink. Are there any other places where i have to change setting beside Privayc and User setting to them automatically?

Regards
Michał

AlbanRampon 05-13-2021 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by assquad (Post 91901)
Thanks Alban for quick reply
My docking station is OKX Model U002 which example can be found under below link
https://www.amazon.com/OKX-Docking-S.../dp/B08CB4RWRV
Based on description i believe that something i made incorrectly because its should support DisplayLink. Are there any other places where i have to change setting beside Privayc and User setting to them automatically?

Regards
Michał

Michał,
I can see that your product title states "MacOS only Support Mirror Mode".
That cannot be a DisplayLink product. Photos in the description also shows all the same content on macOS but different content on Windows.
That is 100% an MST dock.
- "Please ensure your laptop USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 Type C port support Display Port Alt Mode": DisplayLink docks don't need that.
- "If your laptop only has USB A port, then it is incompatible with the docking station." DisplayLink use real USB traffic and work on ALL USB connectors.
I am sorry, not amount of setting changes will work here.
Regards,
Alban

assquad 05-14-2021 07:18 AM

Thanks a lot, i miss this information, has to find other device,

assquad 06-10-2021 08:30 AM

I bough new docking station which officially support DisplayLink and has charging option from Targus. All works well

mrgold 06-12-2021 02:47 PM

I have a new MacBook Air with M1 and am using a USBC Hub with DisplayLink 1.4. External monitor is detected but extended mode doesn't work - can't move cursor to the screen. When mirror is checked I can use the external monitor. If I unclick mirror I can't access the external monitor but it's on - just can't move the cursor to it?

Lance 06-14-2021 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlrichardson (Post 91360)
So I have seen multiple threads with regards to supporting multiple monitors. None are quite like the set up I have and I just cannot seem to get my MacBook Pro M1 chip to display multiple monitors at the same time. Here is my set up.
Macbook Pro 13 in M1
16GB Memory
Two LG Monitors - LG UltraFine 5K Display 27MD5KL
Targus Docking Station with Display Link - DOCK570USZ
Display Link Manager 1.2
USB-C to Displayport adapters (2)
Think i have tried just about everything but cannot get both displays or for that matter just 1 display working thru the docking station, monitor does work by going directly to thunderbolt on Mac. I know the mac is recognizing the docking station as I can see in hardware profile and I can connect a usb bluetooth keyboard to docking station and works fine. Just cannot detect the monitors thru the docking station.
Thanks in advance
Lee

Hi All - MacBook Air M1 showing both screens but both duplicating. Displaylink says - No monitor detected.

the frustrated drake 06-14-2021 05:34 PM

Hi everybody,

same problem here. MacBook Pro 13'' (MacOS 11.4) with M1, and I need a 2nd external monitor.

i-tec docking station: https://i-tec.pro/de/produkt/tb3hdmidockx-3/

i-tec adapter: https://i-tec.pro/de/produkt/tb3dual4khdmi-3/

software: DL Manager 1.4.0 Build 57.120

monitors:
older LG 31,5''
brand new Samsung 32'' L32AM504NUXEN

I've tried EVERY single combination of connecting monitors. Either one or the other monitor will work, both together don't!

I used to love Mac, but I am so fu***** frustrated I'm about to throw that MBP out of the window! :mad:

AlbanRampon 06-15-2021 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the frustrated drake (Post 92092)
Hi everybody,

same problem here. MacBook Pro 13'' (MacOS 11.4) with M1, and I need a 2nd external monitor.

i-tec docking station: https://i-tec.pro/de/produkt/tb3hdmidockx-3/

i-tec adapter: https://i-tec.pro/de/produkt/tb3dual4khdmi-3/

software: DL Manager 1.4.0 Build 57.120

monitors:
older LG 31,5''
brand new Samsung 32'' L32AM504NUXEN

I've tried EVERY single combination of connecting monitors. Either one or the other monitor will work, both together don't!

I used to love Mac, but I am so fu***** frustrated I'm about to throw that MBP out of the window! :mad:

Hello,

You can remove the DisplayLink Manager application. It requires hardware with DisplayLink chips to work.
You will see that the app will say there are no monitors detected because the two products you mention are Thunderbolt (it says "Dockingstation-Technologie: Thunderbolt™3"), and not using DisplayLink technology.
To use DisplayLink Manager, you would need a product with DisplayLink technology. Here is an example from that manufacturer: https://i-tec.pro/de/produkt/cadual4kdockpd-3/ it states "Dockingstation-Technologie: DisplayLink + USB-C PD".

Regards,
Alban

the frustrated drake 06-15-2021 08:12 AM

Alban, thanks for that quick reply. I ordered that one right away, hope it works.

I'm still mad at Apple... :mad:

rboerner 06-15-2021 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance (Post 92090)
Hi All - MacBook Air M1 showing both screens but both duplicating. Displaylink says - No monitor detected.

Please do not double post the same question.

I have replied to your other post --> https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67731 and moved it to the Mac section of the forum.

volleronline 06-15-2021 02:54 PM

Dell WD19 Dock + Dual Dell 24 Inch Monitors

My laptop: Mackbook Pro M1 - 13 inch

Docking Station: Dell WD19

Monitors: Dell 24 Inch - S2421HS

My external monitors show the same mirrored display. It's extended but both displays show the same picture.

Laptop is open and display on laptop is fine.

One monitor is plugged into DisplayPort port.

One monitor is plugged into the back port next to the HDMI port (so, is that the thunderbolt port?) -- It is plugged into a secondary portable USB-C dock and from there connected to HDMI.

Am I plugging into the correct port? Do I need a cable that goes direct from thunderbolt/usb-c to HDMI?

Would really love to make use of both of these lovely monitors!

Thanks!

ScreamCZE 06-15-2021 03:22 PM

Hello,

Dell WD19 is also not based on DisplayLink technology. It is based on native USB-C - macOS does not support MST technology and both monitors will always show the same picture on the external monitors.

volleronline 06-22-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScreamCZE (Post 92101)
Hello,

Dell WD19 is also not based on DisplayLink technology. It is based on native USB-C - macOS does not support MST technology and both monitors will always show the same picture on the external monitors.

Would the Dell D6000 work for Macbook Pro M1?
As it uses DisplayLink software, it seems like that might be a solution for me.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...n&sku=452-BCYT

volleronline 06-24-2021 08:28 PM

Mac M1 Dual Monitors -- SOLVED!

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleronline (Post 92144)
Would the Dell D6000 work for Macbook Pro M1?
As it uses DisplayLink software, it seems like that might be a solution for me.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...n&sku=452-BCYT

My boss bought me the Dell D6000 linked to above in the quote, and two (2) DisplayPort cables. With DisplayLink software installed, I now have TWO WORKING EXTERNAL MONITORS on my MacBook Pro M1 13".

Thanks for the leads and the links. Life is now worth living, LOL.

YAAAASSSSSSSS

Ghorelick 08-08-2021 02:56 PM

PLEASE please tell me how you got your set up to work! My specs:

Dell D6000
MB Pro M1 2020 13" 16 GB memory
2 LG 4k Ultrafine (24MD4KL-B) monitors (2 TB3 ports and 3 USB-C output ports)
2 Moshi USB C to DisplayPort Cables bidirectional (Support 5K@60 Hz, 4K HDR)
BigSur 11.5.1
DisplayLink Manager 1.4.0

DisplayLink manager sees all 3 monitors and I can even see the arrangement in System Preferences but the screens are black! but if I only set up 1 monitor via the hub then it works (1980 x 1080).

How do I make both monitors display??:confused:

volleronline 08-08-2021 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghorelick (Post 92420)
PLEASE please tell me how you got your set up to work! My specs:

Dell D6000
MB Pro M1 2020 13" 16 GB memory
2 LG 4k Ultrafine (24MD4KL-B) monitors (2 TB3 ports and 3 USB-C output ports)
2 Moshi USB C to DisplayPort Cables bidirectional (Support 5K@60 Hz, 4K HDR)
BigSur 11.5.1

DisplayLink manager sees all 3 monitors and I can even see the arrangement in System Preferences but the screens are black! but if I only set up 1 monitor via the hub then it works (1980 x 1080).

How do I make both monitors display??:confused:

I will check my setup tomorrow at the office and let you know exactly how they are set up.

There is one consistent thing I have to do in order for the monitors to work every time. My MacBook Pro has to be fully powered on and THEN I plug in the D6000 to the laptop. If I am plugged into the laptop before I boot up, the dock is not properly recognized and my monitors don't come on.

When I power on and sign in first, then I get both external monitors and the macbook pro display, so I have full use of three screens.

volleronline 08-09-2021 02:01 PM

I checked this morning. I have similar specs to your setup.
MacOS 11.5
Dell D6000
Also have 16 GB, 13" w/the M1 chip
My monitors are both Dell 24"

My setup uses both DisplayPort ports from the dock, and the monitors receive the DisplayPort ports, as well. No cable conversions in between, just straight DisplayPort.

Again, I have to power on my laptop and sign in, and THEN I connect to the D6000.

Make sure the DisplayLink software is running... not sure what else might be happening.

Thanks

jedmondson 08-09-2021 04:42 PM

I have used two different docking stations now, same problem.
1 monitor works just fine, the other flips upside down and freezes.
If i mirror the displays they all work, but one is upside down.

any suggestions?

Ghorelick 08-09-2021 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleronline (Post 92426)
MacOS 11.5
Dell D6000

My setup uses both DisplayPort ports from the dock, and the monitors receive the DisplayPort ports, as well. No cable conversions in between, just straight DisplayPort.

Again, I have to power on my laptop and sign in, and THEN I connect to the D6000.

Make sure the DisplayLink software is running... not sure what else might be happening.

Thanks

Thanks for the follow up! Still doesn’t work even starting it up it same way as you are. At this point I am ready to go back to the Intel 2020 MB pro. Just on principle having to spend extra money for hub and fancy cables for basic functionality is pissing me off.

And in case anyone is wondering: was able to daisy chain the LG monitors (4K Ultrafine) and power to the Intel Laptop with absolutely no problem smh. Hopefully M2 will solve this problem

tommiy 08-11-2021 09:45 PM

Like many waiting to see if the next M1 machine supports multi-monitors natively to overcome this mess. Certainly is a downside to M1.

DebH 08-12-2021 03:35 PM

Getting display to work

I have a Kensington SD4700P with DisplayLink and I am trying to add 2 additional monitors to a Macbook Pro M1 chip. I downloaded the DisplayLink business manager and I enabled the screen recording as instructed. And I have also downloaded and installed the login screen extension and it is showing that it is installed. The second monitor that is plugged into the displayport is still not turning on. I'm not sure what I am missing with it?

AlbanRampon 08-16-2021 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jedmondson (Post 92428)
I have used two different docking stations now, same problem.
1 monitor works just fine, the other flips upside down and freezes.
If i mirror the displays they all work, but one is upside down.

any suggestions?

What is the hardware you tried (dock make and model, monitor and laptop)?

AlbanRampon 08-16-2021 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by volleronline (Post 92426)
MacOS 11.5
Dell D6000

Thanks

There seems to be a USB issue as the dock is not present. As the dock is not present, the app does not talk to the dock and does not send pixels to it.
If that is the correct assumption of what is taking place, any other USB3 (and potentially USB2 too) device connected to the dock would not work either, and they are not driven by DisplayLink Manager or DisplayLink chip.
Can you confirm/infirm?
Regards, Alban

sw59td 08-19-2021 12:38 AM

interfering with magicmouse?

is anyone having problems with their magic mouse when running display link? also, my computer tells me in the log in screen that my screen is being viewed

Lurch 08-19-2021 09:27 PM

No issues with Magic Mouse here

The warning about your screen being viewed is known. Not a problem.