DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Linux and Open Source (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Multiple problems with DisplayLink (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65118)

Mich 02-08-2017 07:09 PM

Multiple problems with DisplayLink

Hi,
First of all I want to say that great work has been done, and my DisplayLink dock does work on my Linux distro, albeit with some problems, which I would be happy if could be solved.

1) I have a lot of trouble make my system recognize the displays connected to the dock, currently, the best I came up with, is the followign script, which I run each time I connect my dock to the laptop:
Code:

#/bin/bash

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 1 0   
xrandr --setprovideroutputsource 2 0
systemctl restart displaylink.service

This somewhat helps, but still, sometimes I don't see any display recognized, or see only one, and then I just need to restart, or play with the USB - connect disconnect to different ports.

2) Trouble reorganizing the displays, if they are recognized, at work I have two Dell displays, which work perfectrly, and once I arranged them, and them reconnected the dock, I had no trouble.
At home, I have 2 different displays, and I just can't rearrange them to the real physical setup - once I do that, or change the primary display, everything starts to render extremely slow - around 1FPS, which is not possible to work with.

3) I can't close my laptop lid, if I do, everything starts to render at 1FPS, just as with the display rearranging.

4) There are several applications I have noticed that for some reason suffer from extreme slow rendering on the screens connected to the dock, while everything else works fine. The most notable to me are: Chrome and Atom.
Curretly, a temporary solution I've found for that by mistake, is run those programs using vglrun.

5) This bothers me the least currently. but still is a bit weird, the DisplayLinkManager binary, which is started by the DisplayLink service, never drops under ~15% CPU usage.

There is also an issue with the HiDPI Display I have in my laptop, I think that would go away if I could close the lid and it would just shut down, but currently I solve it by using the 1920x1080 resolution, so the dock does actually work properly.

Info about my setup:

Dock: Dell D3100
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9530
Distro: Arch Linux (Linux x 4.9.6-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 26 09:22:26 CET 2017 x86_64 GNU/Linux)
WM: Gnome on X
DisplayLink version: 1.2.65-1 (Using the AUR package)
EVDI Version: 1.2.64-1 (Using the AUR)

I also have a lot of logs in dmesg from evdi.
I've generated the DLSupportTool zip, but I wansn't sure what exactly it contains, it had some dump files in it, so I'll gladly send it by PM to a DisplayLink representative.

Really hope somebody can help me with the problems, and on the way for other users that have them and didn't post here yet.
If more debugging info is needed, please tell, I will gladly supply and cooperate in any way possible.

Thanks.

Mich 02-14-2017 05:02 PM

Anyone?
Is there some additional info I should supply?
Please help me resolve this, it's pretty hard working like that.

Thanks,
Michael.

seidler2547 02-15-2017 03:15 PM

Are you using modesetting in X for all your displays? You should. I found that disabling DRI3 with
Code:

Option      "PageFlip" "off"
in all "Device" sections makes a lot of things work better.

Stefan