DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   [Solved] New MacOS Catalina breaks DisplayLink (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=66641)

pacmanbneNL 06-04-2019 07:58 AM

[Solved] New MacOS Catalina breaks DisplayLink

I have installed the New Catalina MacOS however it appears to break the current release of DisplayLink

This is more of an FYI for others rather than a cry for help I can live without it until DisplayLink provide an update

Update:
When I say broken I mean I can see the mouse pointer but both external monitors are plank only my laptop screen is visible. Both network and mouse and keyboard all work without issue.

Update2:

I think I have fixed my problem under System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Screen Recording put a tick in the DisplayLinkUserAgent.app

This seem to solve my problem

Shinji14 06-04-2019 04:27 PM

I don't have the DisplayLinkUserAgent in the ScreenRecording tab.

Shinji14 06-04-2019 05:54 PM

In terminal :
Code:

cd /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/DisplayLink/DisplayLinkUserAgent.app/Contents/MacOS
./DisplayLinkUserAgent

This will popup a message that Terminal wants to screenrecord.

Driver tested : 5.1.1

masto182 06-05-2019 10:36 AM

I tried the suggestion, but it didn't work for me. I also onl . installed the display link driver after I upgraded. We moved offices yesterday and we are using display link docks. Anything that might make it work?

Skywalker 06-06-2019 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacmanbneNL (Post 88045)
I have installed the New Catalina MacOS however it appears to break the current release of DisplayLink

Update2:

I think I have fixed my problem under System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Screen Recording put a tick in the DisplayLinkUserAgent.app

Thnx! This fixed it for me!

SterlingBourne 06-07-2019 02:23 PM

For me broken means the monitors don't recognize the MacBook Pro at all; they just go to sleep. I don't have a Screen Recorder option in Settings to enable.

So right now I'm just looking at 2 dead monitors next to my Laptop until a new driver is released that supports Catalina.

pacmanbneNL 06-08-2019 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SterlingBourne (Post 88079)
For me broken means the monitors don't recognize the MacBook Pro at all; they just go to sleep. I don't have a Screen Recorder option in Settings to enable.

So right now I'm just looking at 2 dead monitors next to my Laptop until a new driver is released that supports Catalina.

I would suggest you look under every option in the Privacy tab under "Security & Privacy" in System Preferences look for DisplayLinkUserAgent.app it appears in two places for me Screen Recording and Accessibility

Also if this was the first time you installed the driver you will need to click allow under the General Tab Its been a while since I read the install notes on the readme but I think that requirement is detailed there

SterlingBourne 06-10-2019 02:38 PM

Fixed it.

My issue is I wasn't running v5.1.1. Once I installed the latest version, and enabled Screen Recording, both of my external monitors worked.

iamjono 06-24-2019 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pacmanbneNL (Post 88045)

Dude that saved me hours of investigation. Worked perfectly (after reboot)

Thanks!!!

Shaneb 06-28-2019 07:06 PM

In addition to the security settings solution, I had to change my refresh rate.

I don't know if this is monitor specific, but with Mojave I had my two external monitors set to 60 Hertz and all was good but with the Catalina install, the refresh on the external monitor was lagging severely. Changing the refresh rate to 59.88 Hertz (NTSC) fixed this for me.

raym 07-17-2019 04:55 AM

This worked.

Stupid question, but now the display link user agent is now allowed to record our screen? Is this a privacy issue?

mlukaszek 07-17-2019 03:27 PM

Hi raym,

The new permission is required to be able to use an interface of the O/S that allows the driver to get pixels that are supposed to be displayed on screens connected to DisplayLink devices.

Similarly, on Catalina, you probably noticed you are now being asked to grant permissions for various apps trying to access files in various locations on your disk that are potentially sensitive. (DisplayLink driver does not need any of that in order to work)

Both examples are part of the improved security mechanisms Catalina brings - giving more control to users.

Kind regards,
Michal

raym 07-17-2019 11:31 PM

Thank you Michal. This makes sense

BRUTH 08-12-2019 06:29 PM

I got both my monitors working when I boot up but as soon as I undock my macbook and then plug it back in neither external monitor will reconnect, even if I log out and back in it doesn't work. Has to be a full reboot. Any ideas? I have the boxes ticked in both Accessibility and Screen Recording.

whitehusky 08-13-2019 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know the subject says Solved, but it's not.

Running a 2018 MBP 15", Catalina 10.15, connecting via USB C. Got an ASUS ZenScreen, installed drivers 5.2 from DisplayLink. Install went fine, I approved the kext, and allowed the screen recording DisplayLinkUserAgent. Rebooted. Doesn't work. The display gives the error: "DisplayPort NO SIGNAL". When connected, the mouse cursor using the touchpad "sticks" every second and then catches up. Tried uninstalling, rebooting, re-installing - 3 times. Same exact thing. So it's definitely still broken. Anyone know when a fix will be coming or any other workaround?

(The only workaround I've found is to use a USB-C to USB-A adapter on the MBP t o convert the USB-C to A - that works... it's obviously not DisplayPort over USB-C anymore, but it does work. But using an adapter is a bad solution when it should just be fixed in software to make USB-C work.)

SysInfo reports:
Version: 5.2 (15)
Last Modified: 8/13/19, 7:34 PM
Bundle ID: com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver
Notarized: Yes
Loaded: Yes
Get Info String: DisplayLink Driver 5.2.15 - Copyright © 2003 - 2019 DisplayLink (UK) Ltd. All rights reserved.
Obtained from: Identified Developer
Kind: Intel
Architectures: x86_64
64-Bit (Intel): Yes
Kext Version: 5.2 (15)
Load Address: 18446743521823678000
Loadable: Yes
Dependencies: Satisfied
Signed by: Developer ID Application: DisplayLink Corp (73YQY62QM3), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Bartonyn 10-08-2019 10:56 AM

Tried it all but it still does not work

I have ticked it in privacy tab, did it in accessibility tab, but still does not work, the screen is still black, any other options have worked for others?

dirkseidel 10-08-2019 01:58 PM

For me this is also NOT solved. I checked the appropriate boxes in the security settings but the third screen stays black. It is shown in System Preferences -> Monitors, but thats all, nothing is visible on the screen.
I have tried installing the older driver again, uninstalling and installing 5.2.1, nothing seems to helps.

MacBook Air (Beginning of 2015, 2.2GHz i7)

Now, again, after the desaster with MacOS 10.13, I am left with a missing screen in my working environment...

GlennBruy 10-08-2019 02:24 PM

Not solved!

I've reinstalled the driver + Checked screen recording box + Reboot several times without succes. The displays show up in preferences, but they remain black. First install cursor was visible, now nothing.

Please fix this.

:mad:

jevans667cc 10-08-2019 02:38 PM

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) with Dell U2717D external monitor.

After the upgrade, I simply missed the checkbox in System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Screen Recording. Made the mistake of installing the beta 2 driver, which did not work. Downgrading back to 5.1.1 and making sure the box was checked and bingo, I have my external monitor back.

dirkseidel 10-08-2019 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jevans667cc (Post 88662)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) with Dell U2717D external monitor.

After the upgrade, I simply missed the checkbox in System Preferences / Security & Privacy / Screen Recording. Made the mistake of installing the beta 2 driver, which did not work. Downgrading back to 5.1.1 and making sure the box was checked and bingo, I have my external monitor back.

Thanks man! With 5.1.1 it is working again. I just tried 5.2.0...

thethornley 10-08-2019 07:23 PM

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

After struggling to find the solution, I installed 5.1.1 and it is now working again with the permissions checked to record screen.

https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1334 is where 5.1.1 can be found.

lspintzyk 10-08-2019 07:29 PM

Hi.

First of all. There is new macOS DisplayLink 5.2.1 beta 2 driver. Please make sure to have it installed: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1433

Secondly, Can you please follow that instructions? Does any of them helps you?
https://support.displaylink.com/know...ing-permission
https://support.displaylink.com/know...lay-is-working
https://support.displaylink.com/know...-functionality

If you still have issues please gather diagnostic information and attach them in the post.
Please use our support tool:
https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?d=66

I would be grateful for output of terminal command:
sudo kextstat | grep DisplayLink

morberg 10-09-2019 12:40 AM

Still not working

1 Attachment(s)
I tried uninstalling the driver than reinstalling but now I don't get the message to approve in Systems Preferences > Security & Privacy > General tab. It installs with no problem, I have the Screen Recording Agent appearing and checked but I still cannot get my monitor to work. Any ideas?

DisplayLinkDriver:

Version: 5.2 (48)
Last Modified: 08/10/19 18:25
Notarized: Yes
Loaded: No
Get Info String: DisplayLink Driver 5.2.48 - Copyright © 2003 - 2019 DisplayLink (UK) Ltd. All rights reserved.
Kext Version: 5.2 (48)
Signed by: Developer ID Application: DisplayLink Corp (73YQY62QM3), Developer ID Certification Authority, Apple Root CA

Knick135 10-09-2019 03:00 AM

This works for me (Macbook Air Early 2015)

Quote:

Originally Posted by thethornley (Post 88665)
MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

After struggling to find the solution, I installed 5.1.1 and it is now working again with the permissions checked to record screen.

https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1334 is where 5.1.1 can be found.

I installed the 5.1.1 version that a previous poster provided and it worked for me. The beta release 5.2.1 beta 2 released on the site as of October 8th doesn't work for me. I have a macbook air early 2015 13-inch with the ASUS 169B+ monitor. Thank you so much thethornley! Your tip saved my day :)

swiip 10-09-2019 08:03 AM

5.1.2 beta to 5.1.1 solved it for me

After Catalina and DisplayLink 5.1.2 beta software (as suggested), my screens still did not work (MBP screen flashes when plugging in the dock, other screens remain in sleep mode). Permissions to record screen were given and I tried installing/re-installing multiple times.

Downgrading from 5.1.2 beta to 5.1.1 (which works fine with Catalina for now) solved it for me.

I originally thought that 5.1.2 did not work because the kernel was not loaded (Loadable: Yes, Loaded: No), but it's working with 5.1.1 and it still says not loaded (see below). Hope the devs can provide smoother solutions with the next upgrades.

DisplayLinkDriver:

Version: 5.1 (40)
Last Modified: 09.10.19, 09:39
Notarised: Yes
Loaded: No
Get Info String: DisplayLink Driver 5.1.40 - Copyright © 2003 - 2019 DisplayLink (UK) Ltd. All rights reserved.
Kext Version: 5.1 (40)

alexmarioru 10-09-2019 08:29 AM

Worked for me

It seems that the DisplayLink extension it doesn't load (Loaded: No). So i found a solution to start it using the Bundle ID:

Quote:

sudo kextload -b com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver
For me it works. I'm also using last beta version of DisplayLink driver.

charliekelly 10-09-2019 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexmarioru (Post 88674)
It seems that the DisplayLink extension it doesn't load (Loaded: No). So i found a solution to start it using the Bundle ID:

This works for me too, also using the latest driver.

silverscreen 10-09-2019 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexmarioru (Post 88674)

When executing this command I'm getting the following message:

Quote:

com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver failed to load - (libkern/kext) different version/uuid already loaded; check the system/kernel logs for errors or try kextutil(8).
The display link extension is not loaded. I have installed the latest beta 2 version multiple times. However I'm not getting the System Extension Blocked message as suggested in the knowledge base.

Any suggestions?

lspintzyk 10-09-2019 10:07 AM

Hi, silverscreen

We experience macOS kernel cache issues. Most likely old incompatible kernel extension is still loaded.
Can you help us to verify our suspicion?

Please do following experiment:
- Uninstall DisplayLink software
- Reboot
- What is the output of command(empty output means it is OK):
kextstat | grep DisplayLink

Give us an update, and follow that article if "kextstat | grep DisplayLink" returns non empty output.
2. Please follow steps from that article:

silverscreen 10-09-2019 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspintzyk (Post 88678)
Hi, silverscreen

We experience macOS kernel cache issues. Most likely old incompatible kernel extension is still loaded.
Can you help us to verify our suspicion?

Please do following experiment:
- Uninstall DisplayLink software
- Reboot
- What is the output of command(empty output means it is OK):

Give us an update, and follow that article if "kextstat | grep DisplayLink" returns non empty output.
2. Please follow steps from that article:

After uninstalling and a restart, the output is not empty:

Quote:

43 0 0xffffff7f8276c000 0x10000 0x10000 com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver (4.3 (124)) 21BA08D2-055E-380E-B526-1798079CF68D <42 13 6 5 3>
It seems indeed to be a cache issue. How to burst the cache?

lspintzyk 10-09-2019 10:27 AM

Great!

You need to follow the article:

tl.dr
1. Uninstall DisplayLink driver first
2. go to recovery mode
3. invoke kextcache command as described in that article.

silverscreen 10-09-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspintzyk (Post 88680)
Great!

tl.dr
2. go to recovery mode

Based on the title I thought this KB article was not relevant, but it fixed the first problem. The extension is now loaded and I have a mirror of my main monitor.

How to switch this from a mirror to a extended screen (as I had before)? Reconnecting the USB doesn't fix the issue. The Airplay icon is not visible and the only option for AirPlay Display is Off.

lspintzyk 10-09-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silverscreen (Post 88681)
Based on the title I thought this KB article was not relevant, but it fixed the first problem. The extension is now loaded and I have a mirror of my main monitor.

How to switch this from a mirror to a extended screen (as I had before)? Reconnecting the USB doesn't fix the issue. The Airplay icon is not visible and the only option for AirPlay Display is Off.

Do you have latest 5.2.1 DisplayLink driver installed?
https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1433

You can easily switch to extend mode in "System Preferences->Displays->Arrangement" where you have to untick "Mirror Displays" option.

ver0n 10-09-2019 11:34 AM

Quote:

Great!

tl.dr
2. go to recovery mode

At first the new beta driver did not work, but after doing the kextcache, now 5.2.1 beta works :)

Thanks you

silverscreen 10-09-2019 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lspintzyk (Post 88682)
Do you have latest 5.2.1 DisplayLink driver installed?
https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1433

You can easily switch to extend mode in "System Preferences->Displays->Arrangement" where you have to untick "Mirror Displays" option.

I did a couple of uninstall / installs with 5.2.1 beta 2. Mirror displays is unchecked. AirPlay Display says only off in the select list. I see the Air Play icon and that also says off.

I see the two displays extended (directly connected) and the third (DisplayLink) as mirror. No option to extend the DisplayLink monitor.

I have the following setup: 1-2-3. Where 1 is the display link and 2 and 3 are connected to the Mac Mini. Playing around on the arrangement tab:
  • When the menubar is on 1, then all displays are extended.
  • When the menubar is on 2, then 1 is a mirror of 2.
  • When the menubar is on 3, then 1 is a mirror of 3.

I also noticed that I can move my mouse cursor around on the mirrored screen, like it's a actual extended display, but I cannot click on anything! I want the menubar on 2 because this one is directly on front of me.

Any idea?

Bartonyn 10-09-2019 12:45 PM

I also tried 5.1.1, unfortunately it does not work.

Bartonyn 10-09-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Great!

tl.dr
2. go to recovery mode

Tried to do it this way, but terminal command is not available in recovery mode on my mac which runs catalina.

Bartonyn 10-09-2019 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartonyn (Post 88689)
Tried to do it this way, but terminal command is not available in recovery mode on my mac which runs catalina.

After the unsuccessful messing with the recovery mode, decided to delete again the software and download again and reinstall, this will be like the 5 time reinstalling last version, and for some reason it works, finally. Nothing I have tried worked, but uninstalling and installing the software did the trick I guess, and that is the latest version available for display link.

steelvoltage 10-09-2019 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I attached an image.

Upgraded to catalina this morning. At first neither of my monitors were working. I followed the steps on the KB articles that have been linked and got it working... well kinda of. My second monitor (which is connected via displayport to my dock) is having some major issues with with distortion, as the picture shows.

Works fine on my windows PC.

Swigs 10-09-2019 03:36 PM

Still not working

Hi,

Quote:

Great!

tl.dr
2. go to recovery mode

I followed the above suggestions, but everything is still not working. I tried uninstalling and re-installing beta driver, trying to install an older driver as suggested in some of the posts, and the kextcache command didn't seem to do anything other than below:

This is the output of the kextcache -I /Volumes/MyDisk command (I renamed my disk to MyDisk for simplicity):

Error returned: <error:0x1076e5060> {count = 1, transaction: 0, voucher = 0x0, contents = "XPCErrorDescription" => <string:0x1076e51c8> { length = 18, contents = "Connection invalid" }
}
KernelCache ID: D5B91AEB124007B9951B6D7FB9F9AEF1

Any further suggestions?