DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   closing the lid causes issues with external monitors (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67302)

aristosv 08-26-2020 07:13 PM

closing the lid causes issues with external monitors

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Dell D6000 Universal Docking station and I connected it to my MacBook Pro 13’ 2020 (Four Thunderbolt 3 ports). I connected a monitor on the:

HDMI port: 1920x1080
DisplayPort: 1280x1024

I downloaded the latest Catalina DisplayLink drivers, the desktop is extended and everything is working just fine. The problem starts when I close the lid of the laptop. I prefer using only the external monitors, so I need it closed.

As soon as I close the lid, the 2 external monitors star behaving very strange. Every couple of minutes they lose their signal, and it takes them a couple of minutes to get it back. Also, I can see that the laptop monitor is still shown in the display’s arrangement, even though the lid is closed.

https://www.displaylink.org/forum/at...1&d=1598465543

Of course, this is a problem because I can’t work when my monitors lose their signal every 2 minutes.

I know this is not an issue with the Dell D6000, or the external monitors, or their signal cables, or a DisplayLink driver, because when the lid is open, everything is working just fine.

This has to be a Catalina setting somewhere affecting the way the laptop behaves with its lid closed.

Any idea what could the issue be?
Thanks

jxk7581 08-27-2020 05:18 PM

Totu Docking Station & Catalina 10.15.6

I can confirm similar issues on my Totu docking station. My issue is when I close my lid, all monitors shut off. Not just the laptop monitor.

Prior to installing DL Manager, I was using Release: 5.2.4 of the USB Graphics Driver. It had other issues and I had hoped that moving to DL Manager would resolve this.

Currently, I have to keep my laptop monitor cracked open in order to use the external displays.

KatarzynaCzaja 08-28-2020 09:38 AM

Hello,

Thank you for contacting our support.

If you are using a DisplayLink Manager v1.0 or v1.1 then its current limitation is lack of Clamshell mode support. This functionality is available in classic drivers only.

Please check the following article for more information: https://support.displaylink.com/know...ntroduction-in

If you wish to revert to classic driver you need to uninstall DisplayLink Manager and install driver 5.2.5 available under the following link: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1636

Instructions how to revert to classic driver are included in the first article that I linked.

Best regards,
Katarzyna

mrt1069 09-03-2020 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk (Post 90632)
Hello,

If you are using a DisplayLink Manager v1.0 or v1.1 then its current limitation is lack of Clamshell mode support. This functionality is available in classic drivers only.

Please check the following article for more information: https://support.displaylink.com/know...ntroduction-in

If you wish to revert to classic driver you need to uninstall DisplayLink Manager and install driver 5.2.5 available under the following link: https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/file?id=1636

Instructions how to revert to classic driver are included in the first article that I linked.

Best regards,
Katarzyna

Do you plan on ever adding clamshell support? The latest MacOS update is no longer compatible with the "classic" drivers. Thanks

bpuser5k 09-03-2020 04:52 PM

Clam shell support

I am also interested if this will be a feature.

KatarzynaCzaja 09-04-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrt1069 (Post 90661)
Do you plan on ever adding clamshell support? The latest MacOS update is no longer compatible with the "classic" drivers. Thanks

Hello,

Clamshell is planned however we do not have any time frame for its release set. This alo requires cooperation with the OS vendor.

Classic driver 5.2.1 is incompatible with Catalina 10.15.6 however 5.2.4 and 5.2.5 is fully compatible with that version of the OS.

Best regards,
Katarzyna

bradc 09-04-2020 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk (Post 90670)
Hello,

Clamshell is planned however we do not have any time frame for its release set. This alo requires cooperation with the OS vendor.

Classic driver 5.2.1 is incompatible with Catalina 10.15.6 however 5.2.4 and 5.2.5 is fully compatible with that version of the OS.

Best regards,
Katarzyna

I followed those instructions. Uninstalled everything and installed the 5.2.5 driver and nothing happens. The monitors are not detected and I can't do anything. I have gone through the uninstall and install process several times now, rebooted my machine each time, still nothing happens.

What am I missing here? When you say "Instructions how to revert to classic driver are included in the first article that I linked", that's not true. It just says to uninstall and delete the manager app. What is supposed to happen after I install 5.2.5?

SSD TECH 09-08-2020 04:27 PM

I have been working with them on this issue we have over 20 of these docks and we are having to find our own fix. Apple is not working with Wavlink and they are not able to fix the driver without apple cooperating with them. This is very frustrating because now we have all these computers that we were using in clamshell mode that now have to keep open. I am running the display link manager and its ok other than you can't close the laptop. I tried to uninstall the 5.2.4 driver and run the 5.2.5 driver and once you install the display link manager it puts files in the library that need to be deleted out. I also noticed that if you want to use the 5.2.4 driver running Catalina you need to have a HDMI and a DP cable to get different views on 2 monitors. They didn't tell me this I figured it out myself. I am working on getting the clamshell mode to work will update when I have it perfected. I am tired of waiting on apple and wavelink to fix!

aristosv 09-09-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk (Post 90632)
Hello,

Best regards,
Katarzyna

The problem with the classic driver, is that it does not support scaling, which is a big issue on 4K monitors. Any workaround?

ashzade 09-11-2020 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradc (Post 90673)
I followed those instructions. Uninstalled everything and installed the 5.2.5 driver and nothing happens. The monitors are not detected and I can't do anything. I have gone through the uninstall and install process several times now, rebooted my machine each time, still nothing happens.

What am I missing here? When you say "Instructions how to revert to classic driver are included in the first article that I linked", that's not true. It just says to uninstall and delete the manager app. What is supposed to happen after I install 5.2.5?

I have the same issue.

ashzade 09-21-2020 12:38 AM

I was able to revert after using the uninstaller that came with 5.25, restarting, and then installing 5.25. I basically spent 4h troubleshooting the new version and reverting. Great.

swisharoo 10-02-2020 08:31 PM

I have this same problem. Any update on when this fix will be resolved?

I cannot use the workaround. While my external displays work with MacBook lid closed when using 5.25, my MacBook display stay black when undocking my MacBook, which is rendered useless and requires me to do a forced shutdown and reboot to get it back to normal undocked. I also need access to my MacBook camera for meetings, and while docked on 5.25 this does not work. On the other hand, DisplayLink Manager 1.1 works great when docking and undocking, and raising lid for camera, etc, but unfortunately cannot close lid all the way due to this closing clamshell lid issue.

IMO, leaving the lid cracked open is less problematic to me than not being able to use camera, or undock without having to reboot. But best would be to get this fixed. Thanks.

dteirney 05-12-2021 02:14 PM

Clamshell support with 4k scaling on macOS BigSur?

Hello,

I've just got a new D6000 thinking it was going to be a good option for USB3 support for my aging 2015 MacBook Pro before I update to the newer M2 16 inch later this year with USB-C support.

However, I need it to work with clamshell mode and I've only just discovered that it doesn't. Would have been nice if that was more upfront and transparent in the online documentation for the device regarding macOS support.

I'm using macOS Big Sur and I also need 4k scaling to work.

Is there any option for this to work with the D6000 or do I need to return it to the retailer and hope they'll take it as a return (I've already unboxed it etc.)

Thanks!
David

GSJ 06-19-2021 03:55 PM

Found a solution!

I was having the same problem ... I connected my Macbook to two external monitors via my Dell docking station using the Display Link Manager. I had no issues, both external monitors were working along with the Macbook, effectively giving me three screens. The issue I had is that as soon as I closed the Macbook lid both external monitors would go blank.

My work around this is as follows ...

(1) Close (quit) the Display Link Manager and disconnect Macbook from the Dell docking station. This means only the Macbook screen is on.

(2) Re-connect the Macbook to the Dell docking station which turns on one of the monitors. At this stage the Macbook screen and one external monitor are on.

(3) Close Macbook lid. At this stage only the one external monitor is on.

(4) Open the Display Link Manager which automatically turns the second external monitor on. Now both external monitors are working with the Macbook lid closed!

I hope I've explained this well enough, enjoy and good luck!

galu17 06-26-2021 09:40 PM

I have just purchased a Targus Targus Universal USB-C DV4K Docking Station with 65W Power Delivery (DOCK310) and connected it to my MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) with Intel chip on Big Sur 11.4 OS.

Downloaded DisplayLink Manager v1.4.0 (build 57.120). So far so good having both of external monitors working with my laptop giving me three monitors to use.

However when I just want to use the external monitors and I close my laptop, the external monitors starts to flicker.

I’ve come across a workaround but I don’t want to compromise the quality of the battery life for my MacBook Pro.

Though I can continue working with leaving my laptop open, I prefer it to be close and just use the external monitors given my limited desk space while working from home. A fix for this would be appreciated.

tommiy 06-26-2021 10:57 PM

If your planning on keeping the 2018MBP then probably the easiest answer is to get a thunderbolt3 dock. If your using a 4k monitoring and want to run at 2560x1440 then this is the best way to go.