DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   macOS Big Sur - No clamshell mode... (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67408)

ebes 11-13-2020 07:43 PM

macOS Big Sur - No clamshell mode...

After a frustrating upgrade to Big Sur, found my Display Link no longer worked for my external monitor (Acer 220B)...

Went to DL web site, dutifully downloaded latest driver, had a number of issues, finally got all to "work" only to find does not work in clamshell mode...which upon reading the notes, seem to have been a "feature"...

Obviously, no point in using this any longer as not gonna leave my MacBook open, display on, etc. when using my external display...as such, ordering adaptor for my MacBook (port to HDMI)...and likely soon will end up ditching the hub as well...sad...

Assume others finding this little surprise as well...

Wondering if this will addressed any time soon...

Joda1956 11-14-2020 02:58 PM

Same issue here

It is not possible to work, with the macBook shut.
Hopefully there will be a solution from display link soon.

dbelina 11-15-2020 12:49 AM

I am using the old driver (to work under Catalina) and found it still worked when went to Big Sur. Anyway the 5.2.5 seems to still work for me under Big Sur (in clamshell mode, using one HDI and two DVI connections)

schafman 11-15-2020 09:53 AM

Works for me with Macbook Air 2018+Lenovo USB-C Hybrid Dock

No issue with clam mode - working fine with the latest driver.

Wozzy 11-16-2020 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebes (Post 90951)
After a frustrating upgrade to Big Sur, found my Display Link no longer worked for my external monitor (Acer 220B)...

Went to DL web site, dutifully downloaded latest driver, had a number of issues, finally got all to "work" only to find does not work in clamshell mode...which upon reading the notes, seem to have been a "feature"...

Obviously, no point in using this any longer as not gonna leave my MacBook open, display on, etc. when using my external display...as such, ordering adaptor for my MacBook (port to HDMI)...and likely soon will end up ditching the hub as well...sad...

Assume others finding this little surprise as well...

Wondering if this will addressed any time soon...

Not sure why a surprise, its in the release notes.

H. Known issues and limitations
===============================

- An updated list of troubleshooting suggestions is available at http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...shooting-macos
- No support for rotated DisplayLink screens in macOS Catalina 10.15.x
- No support for clamshell mode with DisplayLink screen connected.
- Some HiDPI mode are not available on DisplayLink screens (29526)

stianfp 11-16-2020 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wozzy (Post 90961)
Not sure why a surprise, its in the release notes.

H. Known issues and limitations
===============================

- An updated list of troubleshooting suggestions is available at http://support.displaylink.com/knowl...shooting-macos
- No support for rotated DisplayLink screens in macOS Catalina 10.15.x
- No support for clamshell mode with DisplayLink screen connected.
- Some HiDPI mode are not available on DisplayLink screens (29526)

You know if this is solvable, or a limitation that apple will not budge on? (the no clamshell thing)

KatarzynaCzaja 11-23-2020 10:55 AM

Hello users,

We are working with the OS vendor to add Clamshell Mode support to future releases of our drivers. As the works are in progress we do not have any dates set yet for the release. Please rest assured that we are doing what we can to deliver it to you.

Best regards,
Katarzyna

Robjfair 12-12-2020 09:19 AM

Workaround

I have been experiencing the same issue using Universal Twin HD Dock through DisplayLink Manager on Big Sur.

The best workaround I have come up with until a solution is developed is to use the app Amphetamine (free in the app store) and set a trigger to not sleep while plugged into the dock.

I then set my external display(s) as the main monitor so nothing opens on my now shut Macbook Pro.

Only catch here is to remember to unplug your Mac from the dock after use so as to allow the Mac to sleep.

Rob

ebes 12-14-2020 01:13 PM

See the new release is out, but appears, from notes STILL does not support clamshell mode...this is an INTEL MacBook Air running Big Sur...

hmon 12-16-2020 02:38 PM

Working when turning off and on again

It works for me in a brand new, clean Apple Mac Book Air M1 when:

1) Login
2) Start the Display Link Manager
3) Turn on my hub
4) Wait until it shows the screen...
5) Turn off my hub
6) Turn on my hub again...

Very, very annoying, but it works. I hope they solve this soon...

EDIT: I tried multiple times and still works this way

cornell 02-19-2021 02:37 PM

DisplayLink Manager 1.2 Clamshell mode working

I'm running latest level MacOS Big Sur on a 2016 Intel MacBook Pro. My DisplayLink adapter is connected through a CalDigit USB-C dock. I'm using DisplayLink Manager 1.2.0

Here's the odd thing -- in contrast to other comments here and the release notes, clamshell mode works just fine. Should I expect it to continue working if I upgrade to DisplayLink Manager 1.3.0 ?

jakudo 02-23-2021 11:22 AM

@cornel I updated to 1.3 and Clamshell mode still forks for me (Docking station HP G2).

cornell 02-23-2021 10:53 PM

Jakudo, I updated to 1.3.0 and it's working fine in clamshell mode. Thanks for the info.

KatarzynaCzaja 02-24-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornell (Post 91626)
I'm running latest level MacOS Big Sur on a 2016 Intel MacBook Pro. My DisplayLink adapter is connected through a CalDigit USB-C dock. I'm using DisplayLink Manager 1.2.0

Here's the odd thing -- in contrast to other comments here and the release notes, clamshell mode works just fine. Should I expect it to continue working if I upgrade to DisplayLink Manager 1.3.0 ?

Hello,

CalDigit products do not use DisplayLink technology or drivers. That is most likely why it is working for you.

@Jakudo - there are also two types of HP G2 docking stations - one uses DL and the other does not, depending on your dock it may work or not.
Also please check the below article as it talks about certain configurations that will allow you to use Clamshell mode:

Clamshell and rotation support on macOS Big Sur 11.x with DisplayLink Manager

Cheers,
Katarzyna

cornell 02-25-2021 03:44 PM

Katarzyna,

Yes. Thank you for pointing that out. I was incomplete in the description of my setup. For the record, I have a USB-C connection to a CalDigit TS3 dock which then connects via USB-A to a Diamond brand BVU195 DisplayLink adapter which connects via DVI to my auxiliary display. So, the role of the CalDigit TS3 in that path is as a USB-C to USB-A adapter (and a number of other connections, not relevant to this discussion.)

Cornell

jakudo 03-03-2021 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarzynaKowalczyk (Post 91631)
@Jakudo - there are also two types of HP G2 docking stations - one uses DL and the other does not, depending on your dock it may work or not.
Also please check the below article as it talks about certain configurations that will allow you to use Clamshell mode:

Clamshell and rotation support on macOS Big Sur 11.x with DisplayLink Manager

Cheers,
Katarzyna

Ok, didn't know that. I thought that there is only one HP G2 docking station and the one without DisplayLink is G5. Perhaps I was wrong. However, the one I have works pretty well in Clamshell mode. So happy with it :)

shandy 03-22-2021 01:47 PM

I'm already using an Asus USB-C monitor (which has built-in displaylink) via the 1.3 driver on Big Sur. It's connected to a CalDigit TB3 dock, which is connected to an Intel Macbook Pro in clamshell mode.

I'd like to buy another external monitor - but this time in 4K, which I'll run in HiDPI mode (i.e. 1080p). I'd pair it with a Startech USB3 displaylink adapter capable of 4k@60hz

I'm confused as to what to expect. The 1.3 drivers say clamshell isn't supported, but I'm already successfully using 1.3 with my Asus monitor in clamshell mode.

I saw the comment above about using the CalDigit dock. Does this mean the CalDigit is effectively a get-out-of-jail card for the 1.3 clamshell limitation? I.e. if I plug the Startech adapter into the Caldigit with a new 4k monitor, then it'll work?

shandy 03-30-2021 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shandy (Post 91655)
I saw the comment above about using the CalDigit dock. Does this mean the CalDigit is effectively a get-out-of-jail card for the 1.3 clamshell limitation? I.e. if I plug the Startech adapter into the Caldigit with a new 4k monitor, then it'll work?

@KatarzynaKowalczyk Hoping to get a clarification on this

If I plug a displaylink adapter into the caldigit TB3 dock connected to an Intel Macbook pro, (instead of plugging the displaylink adapter straight into the macbook) will the limitation on clamshell mode be overcome?

rboerner 04-01-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shandy (Post 91666)
@KatarzynaKowalczyk Hoping to get a clarification on this

If I plug a displaylink adapter into the caldigit TB3 dock connected to an Intel Macbook pro, (instead of plugging the displaylink adapter straight into the macbook) will the limitation on clamshell mode be overcome?

Apple has specific requirements in order for a system to enter closed-display mode aka clamshell mode --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834

Based on Apple's current requirements, if your Caldigit dock is providing power to the host laptop and there is a display connected to the video output port built-in to the Caldigit dock, then closed-display mode should work.

Zimdog 04-10-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rboerner (Post 91667)
Apple has specific requirements in order for a system to enter closed-display mode aka clamshell mode --> https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201834

Unfortunately, there's nothing there that would exclude the Kensington USB3.0 2X Video Dock with DL Manager 1.2.0 from working in clamshell mode.

Katarzyna, is there a work-around for this, other than leaving the lid of my MacBook Pro open? I had clamshell mode working before moving to DL Manager 1.2...

rboerner 04-14-2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimdog (Post 91673)
Unfortunately, there's nothing there that would exclude the Kensington USB3.0 2X Video Dock with DL Manager 1.2.0 from working in clamshell mode.

Katarzyna, is there a work-around for this, other than leaving the lid of my MacBook Pro open? I had clamshell mode working before moving to DL Manager 1.2...

You do not provide much detail about your specific setup, however on the surface there are differences as compared to the other post which references the CalDigit dock.

Presuming for the moment that this is the dock you are using --> https://www.kensington.com/p/product...-ivga-windows/

That docking station does NOT provide power to the host laptop, which is a key element of the requirements Apple provides for closed-display mode to work.

Further to this, you do not mention if the Apple Mac laptop you are using has an Intel processor or Apple M1 processor.

The details matter in this specific case, because at this time closed-display mode (clamshell mode) is not supported on Intel-based Macs when only a 'pure' DisplayLink-based device is connected to the host. Closed-display mode is supported on Apple M1-based Macs as long as there is a power source connected.

DisplayLink has more information here --> https://support.displaylink.com/know...cos-big-sur-11

Wozzy 04-26-2021 03:40 PM

Clamshell mode seems to work on M1 on macOS 11.3 RC, DL Manager 1.3.

Only tested 1 additional screen but its working fine. If my M1 is the main screen (dock is on it) and I close the lid it transfers to the external screen.

davss 04-26-2021 08:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That's good news! I'm assuming all work fine on the latest update macOS Big Sur 11.3 11.3 with currently availavle DL for download driver for M1?

I've been using Amphetamine (from App Store) with unticked "Allow system sleep when display is closed" when sessions's started to run my MacBook Air with the following monitors in clamshell more:

1 x Dell U4919DW 49 inch suported by M1 native single external display and charging via single bi-directional USB-C cable connected to top USB-C port

3 x Dell U2515H 25 inch DL driver using via 10in1 UGREEN USB-C hub and Startech USB-3.0 to DP hardware connected to bottom USB-C port

Cheers,
David

ps. there's a thread where we drop messages about macOS and DL updates and whether anything breaks after updating:
https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67606

BHedges 04-27-2021 03:14 AM

Big Sur 11.3 update and now my previously working in 4k screen LG 27" can now only run in 1920 x 1080 - so I'd say be very careful with the update, backwards step for me, very disappointed.:mad:

dteirney 05-14-2021 05:46 AM

@KatarzynaKowalczyk is there any update that can be provided on when clamshell mode might be supported for Intel-based Macs on BigSur?

I've just purchased a Dell D6000 and found that it's about as useful as a brick since it doesn't support clamshell mode. Didn't even consider that I'd need to review the fine print in the release notes for a 3rd party driver to find out this limitation that impacts that hardware product.

ScreamCZE 05-14-2021 11:06 AM

Hello,

I am wondering this for a long time, is there any reason why you cannot use the MacBook with an open lid? It is another monitor that you can use - like for some less used windows.

tokyodrift 05-21-2021 07:11 AM

Its' not about, why we cannot use, its more about, it was working and now not.

I have bought the dockingstation with the displaylink only because of this.

It was working before Big Sur and now not. I'm having now also high CPU usage with the display link driver 1.3.0. This is just sad.

jakudo 05-21-2021 08:35 AM

Works ok for me. No problem at all. Everything latest updates.

tokyodrift 05-21-2021 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakudo (Post 91944)
Works ok for me. No problem at all. Everything latest updates.

As from this link https://support.displaylink.com/know...cos-big-sur-11:
Quote:

Clamshell mode (lid closed) is supported on computers using Apple M1 silicon with external power connected (e.g. Apple macbook power adapter or docking station with charging capability) on macOS Big Sur version 11.1 and later.
Clamshell mode is not supported on Intel-based macbooks, this is under development.
Currently this not working for intel-based macbooks. So your mac has an apple m1 processor?

Anyway, there are currently much more intel-based macbooks out there.
A fix would be more appreciated.

Zimdog 08-21-2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rboerner (Post 91681)
You do not provide much detail about your specific setup, however on the surface there are differences as compared to the other post which references the CalDigit dock.

Presuming for the moment that this is the dock you are using --> https://www.kensington.com/p/product...-ivga-windows/

That docking station does NOT provide power to the host laptop, which is a key element of the requirements Apple provides for closed-display mode to work.

Further to this, you do not mention if the Apple Mac laptop you are using has an Intel processor or Apple M1 processor.

The details matter in this specific case, because at this time closed-display mode (clamshell mode) is not supported on Intel-based Macs when only a 'pure' DisplayLink-based device is connected to the host. Closed-display mode is supported on Apple M1-based Macs as long as there is a power source connected.

Thanks, and my apologies for the delayed response... but to your points:

1) I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports) with an Intel processor and I'm using the Kensington USB 3.0 Dual Display Docking Station for Windows, Mac OS, Surface Pro & Surface Laptop (K33972US). The MacBook Pro is connected to external power in addition to the dock. The dock provides connection to my keyboard, mouse, external drives, USB camera, microphone, speaker, Ethernet and two Philips 246E monitors.

2) As to the supply of power, you are correct that the dock is not supplying power. However, the link you provided in a previous post no longer leads to the original page (HT201834) - and the page that it redirects to does not include information about clamshell requirements. That said, I believe these are the requirements (Search support.apple.com for "closed lid" requirements):
Check requirements
To use closed-display mode with your Mac notebook, here's what you need:
  • An AC power adapter or an external display that provides power over USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C).
  • An external keyboard and mouse or trackpad, either USB or wireless.
  • A USB-C to USB adapter or cable if you're using a USB mouse or keyboard with a Mac that has USB-C ports.
  • An external display or projector.
You'll note that these requirements do NOT specify that the dock provide power - only that there be an AC power adapter OR an external display that provides power. So I believe this point is moot, as my Macbook Pro IS connected to external power, in addition to being connected to the dock.

3) Lastly, I'll note that clamshell mode WAS working with this configuration prior to the release of BigSur.

----------------

Hopefully this clears up the questions regarding my setup - but even so, it's still the case that clamshell mode is not working.

Charlie

ordep81 08-23-2021 12:29 AM

New Mac user here, I have dual monitor set that I would like to use for work on my 2020 Macbook Pro (intel) have it all hooked up through the dock. Once i place the laptop in clamshell mode the video on my monitors intermittently drops to where I have to keep the laptop open and takes up real estate on my desk. Is this the same issue that most are experiencing here? Are there any workarounds like using "Amphetamine" app as others have mentioned that have had any luck?

ordep81 08-25-2021 05:16 PM

Quick update, I got a workaround on this by using Amphetamine free app, I just mirror on monitor to the laptop and the other monitor as its own. This works how I wanted.

TheNickGuy 08-28-2021 01:35 AM

Just use the legacy driver 5.2.5 and Clamshell mode will work, every driver newer than 5.2.5 does not work in Clamshell (closed) mode

nyne87 08-28-2021 10:18 PM

Just to report my success, I updated to macOS Monterey beta and the issue was resolved. I now have clamshell mode using the latest DisplayLink beta drivers for Monterey.

Speedy 09-03-2021 10:08 AM

Same Issue on MacBook Pro 15" 2016

I have the same issue that the clamshell-mode was not working any longer when i updated my mac from 10.14 (Mojave) to 11.5.2 (Big Sur). I'm using a Kensington Dock SD4780P with 2x 4K-Samsung-Screens connected via HDMI.
Actual Work-A-Round is to use Amphetamin as mentioned in the thread before.

A much bigger problem for me is, that my network-connection is interrupted for just seconds multiple-times per day, what makes remote-working with VPNs or in Virtual-Machines a nightmare. :mad:

jhdevuk 02-02-2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davss (Post 91759)
That's good news! I'm assuming all work fine on the latest update macOS Big Sur 11.3 11.3 with currently available DL for download driver for M1?

I've been using Amphetamine (from App Store) with unticked "Allow system sleep when display is closed" when sessions's started to run my MacBook Air with the following monitors in clamshell more:

1 x Dell U4919DW 49 inch suported by M1 native single external display and charging via single bi-directional USB-C cable connected to top USB-C port

3 x Dell U2515H 25 inch DL driver using via 10in1 UGREEN USB-C hub and Startech USB-3.0 to DP hardware connected to bottom USB-C port

Cheers,
David

ps. there's a thread where we drop messages about macOS and DL updates and whether anything breaks after updating:
https://www.displaylink.org/forum/sh...ad.php?t=67606

Finally! After a lot of trial and error, this works perfectly for me.

I've got a 2018 Macbook Pro (Intel), with a Dell D3100 dock that I use to switch between my Windows (XPS 13) & Mac (both required for work).

Using Amphetamine, with a trigger setup for when the dock is plugged in, and "Allow system sleep when display is closed" un-ticked, everything is hunky dorey.

Thanks David!

solo-act 02-02-2022 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhdevuk (Post 93370)
Finally! After a lot of trial and error, this works perfectly for me.

I've got a 2018 Macbook Pro (Intel), with a Dell D3100 dock that I use to switch between my Windows (XPS 13) & Mac (both required for work).

Using Amphetamine, with a trigger setup for when the dock is plugged in, and "Allow system sleep when display is closed" un-ticked, everything is hunky dorey.

Thanks David!

Thanks for the tip but this sounds like a workaround to an unsolved problem in clamshell mode similar to what I'm going through with an 2019 intel Mac -- everything works in clamshell mode until the system decides to sleep or when I logout and manually put it to sleep.

A laptop with Displaylink should be able to sleep and wake up from sleep without impacting how displays are "seen", without impacting Screen Recording permission for the Displaylink Manager app, and without requiring users to power cycle their firewire docks that depend on Displaylink to work properly.