DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Macbook Pro M1 Dual Monitors ? (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=67532)

mlrichardson 01-11-2021 10:04 PM

Macbook Pro M1 Dual Monitors ?

So I have seen multiple threads with regards to supporting multiple monitors. None are quite like the set up I have and I just cannot seem to get my MacBook Pro M1 chip to display multiple monitors at the same time. Here is my set up.
Macbook Pro 13 in M1
16GB Memory
Two LG Monitors - LG UltraFine 5K Display 27MD5KL
Targus Docking Station with Display Link - DOCK570USZ
Display Link Manager 1.2
USB-C to Displayport adapters (2)
Think i have tried just about everything but cannot get both displays or for that matter just 1 display working thru the docking station, monitor does work by going directly to thunderbolt on Mac. I know the mac is recognizing the docking station as I can see in hardware profile and I can connect a usb bluetooth keyboard to docking station and works fine. Just cannot detect the monitors thru the docking station.
Thanks in advance
Lee

turbosess 01-27-2021 10:06 PM

Did you ever figure anything out? I have the exact same setup - M1 MBP with 2 LG UltraFine 5K displays. I can only get output to one monitor. I tried the CalDigit TB3 with USB-C to HDMI plugable adapter to the other monitor, but no dice.

raswan77 01-27-2021 10:49 PM

I too am on an M1 MBP... I'm trying to use an OWC Thunderbolt 3 mini adaptor with 2 HMDI ports. DisplayLink seems to be running fine, but never says a monitor is attached. One Moniot displays fine, but when I plug in the second monitor, the one the was plugged in goes black and the other goes fuzzy. Not Sur if it is because I need to different adapters or maybe OWC isn't supported... or maybe because both monitors are the same... Dell S2715H... at a complete loss.

AlbanRampon 01-28-2021 09:13 AM

Hello,

@mlrichardson, Max possible is Ultrawide 5K (5120x1440) on macOS with that product generation, not 5120x2880. Ultrawide 5K bandwidth fits in the bandwidth possible in one DisplayPort cable for that chip, but not full height 5K.

@turbosess, same about Ultrawide 5K and this products doe not use DisplayLink technology so the app has no effect on them and standard 1 external screen limit applies. The product limitation on Apple M1 cannot be addressed by a software update from us.

@raswan77 this products does not use DisplayLink technology so the app has no effect on them and standard 1 external screen limit applies. The product limitation on Apple M1 cannot be addressed by a software update from us.

Regards,
Alban

raswan77 01-28-2021 02:23 PM

Thanks! Is there a list of recommended hubs that I can purchase that are DisplayLink recommended/certified?

jmc 01-28-2021 09:28 PM

I have the Plugable UD-ULTC4K operating with (3) Dell U2719D screens, horizontally until vertical rotation is supported by the driver. One connects by HDMI, two connect by DisplayPort. The MacBook is closed in clamshell mode and all three screens remain operable. The built-in display becomes a fourth independent display when the laptop is open. Power is delivered back over the USB-C cable.

It has been flawless.

AlbanRampon 01-29-2021 01:19 PM

Hello,
Here is a list of products we have tested and bear our logo.
https://www.displaylink.com/products/find?cat=1&num=2
You can change the search parameters to best suit what you're looking for.
Alternatively, if you tell me what you intend to connect to the dock, I can tune the search parameters for you.
Kind regards,
Alban

natureminded 05-12-2021 04:26 AM

Suggestions for 5K 60HZ USB-C + 1080P VGA/DVI to HDMI?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 91537)
Hello,
Here is a list of products we have tested and bear our logo.
https://www.displaylink.com/products/find?cat=1&num=2
You can change the search parameters to best suit what you're looking for.
Alternatively, if you tell me what you intend to connect to the dock, I can tune the search parameters for you.
Kind regards,
Alban

@AlbanRampon -- Thanks for sharing this link to suggested docks. I'm seeking the same here, hoping to hook up 2 displays to my M1 Mac Mini. I've been having success with my 5K 60HZ monitor over USBC, but seem to be having trouble with my DVI > HDMI 1080P monitor. I ordered a new cable, so we'll see if this remedies the issue (connected via HDMI port the monitor is flickering in and out of detection).

I was wondering what docks you might recommend for the following setup:

- 1x 5K 60HZ LG 49" UltraWide via USB-C
- 1x 1080P Dell 23" VGA or DVI connection options -> HDMI

I have a 2020 M1 Mac Mini, and trying to get the same setup I had previously with my Intel based Mac.

Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

mbust 05-12-2021 09:24 AM

Until I got my DisplayPort Icy Box USB3.0 docking station (dual video output) I had to have my MacBook Pro M1 (16GB 2T) connected only to a Samsung U32J59X 32-inch monitor. When I got the docking station, I was able to add a HP22W monitor, so that I now have three screens (unable to run with the lid closed, but that is a known issue). Unfortunately, with the docking station the 32-inch monitor runs only at 1920 pixel resolution, whereas without it was functioning at 3800+ pixels. I know it is not a limitation of the docking station which is capable of running two monitors at 4096 each. I suppose it is a limitation of DisplayLink?

AlbanRampon 05-12-2021 10:27 AM

Hello natureminded,
Can you give the reference of the display?
if it does charging and also does USB, you might be able to only buy a USB->DVI adapter to add to the monitor via USB2 as it's good enough for 1080p.
Alternatively, you can use a docking station and connect the LG display via DisplayPort to the dock instead of USB-C, like I do with both my LG monitors at home.
At the office, I have a HDMI to DVI cable on one of my Dell monitors, so that's also a possibility via a docking station.

Hello mbust,
We will be working around this macOS 11.3 unfortunate change in DisplayLink Manager app 1.3.1 currently in tests. In the meantime, third party app Retina Display Menu can add the 4K mode back immediately.

Kind regards,
Alban