DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Hulu video doesn't work???? (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68533)

Hostile17 12-04-2022 04:50 PM

Hulu video doesn't work????

The ENTIRE reason I bought this extended display setup (UD-3900PDZ) for my MacBook Air was to be able to watch video on one screen while working on the other.

Apparently, this doesn't even work??? There is sound, but no video. And this is true not only for Hulu, but Netflix and Amazon Prime Video as well??

You might want to let potential customers know this little factoid before they outlay funds for this.

Does anyone know of an actual product that will allow extended displays for video that works with a MacBook Air?

DanielSznicer 01-12-2023 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hostile17 (Post 94661)
The ENTIRE reason I bought this extended display setup (UD-3900PDZ) for my MacBook Air was to be able to watch video on one screen while working on the other.

Apparently, this doesn't even work??? There is sound, but no video. And this is true not only for Hulu, but Netflix and Amazon Prime Video as well??

You might want to let potential customers know this little factoid before they outlay funds for this.

Does anyone know of an actual product that will allow extended displays for video that works with a MacBook Air?

Hello,
Thank you for reaching out!

Unfortunately in MacOS platform the devices using DisplayLink technology do not support HDCP.Streaming services like iTunes, HBO, Amazon,Hulu,
Prime, Netflix or Disney+, YouTube TV, Udemy etc. are using HDCP protected content. Which means that they will not work. This is currently one of the DisplayLink limitations.In those cases the video would remain black while audio is
still playing. Please take a look at this article: Content protected video does not play on Mac while DisplayLink screens are connectedDue to limitation on our end it is expected that this
feature does not work. We get feedback from many users that it is worth checking other
browsers, many that were using Chrome have success with Firefox now. I hear that
also changing the hardware acceleration settings in the browser helps.If it was working for you then it is possible that the browser was allowing the content to
be played even though there was the limitation and with the new update they
updated their policy.Unfortunately I cannot suggest any other workarounds as this
was never meant to work.

digantk 01-12-2023 02:08 PM

I use Chrome with hardware acceleration turned off and it works for me.

Philip Cutting 02-02-2023 12:56 PM

I found that firefox was able to run netflix. This allowed me to keep the hardware setting default and use figma and other apps that were disabled also when I changed the setting.

helpfulbro 02-11-2023 04:39 PM

Does anyone have any problems playing YouTube or any videos with VLC player while external screens are connected via Dell D6000 dock station? I'm running macOS Ventura 13.2 with Chrome or Safari, and I'm not able to play any videos from any sources including YouTube, VLC or QuickTime. There is just a constant loading phase.

helpfulbro 02-12-2023 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by digantk (Post 94823)
I use Chrome with hardware acceleration turned off and it works for me.

Just realized this fixes the videos in chrome. Thanks digantk! The issue is still persisting in safari and other video players.