DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Mac Software (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Displaylink ceases to work in 10.13.4 (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65890)

wolfferine 08-28-2018 01:05 PM

Hi,

I found this rather interesting article, about Kernel Extensions:

Whitelisting third-party kernel extensions using profiles:confused:

Something DisplayLink could take a look at, or did they done already :D

gabhain 08-29-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfferine (Post 86565)
Hi,

I found this rather interesting article, about Kernel Extensions:

Whitelisting third-party kernel extensions using profiles:confused:

Something DisplayLink could take a look at, or did they done already :D

That implies that they have a working system extension, which they dont. A beta driver on a beta OS that runs on some hardware doesnt really count after like 8 months. The article discusses whitelisting system extensions using Jamf, if it was a whitelisting issue then users would have a prompt to manually add the extension. Non enterprise users wouldnt have Jamf most likely. Ive had to whitelist extensions in jamf before, it would be awesome if that was the issue as its easily fixed but unfortunately its not :(

OWC, Caldigit and HP had this working on their docks with zero downtime for users so this is a Displaylink issue not an Apple one.

paultzirides 08-29-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gabhain (Post 86566)
That implies that they have a working system extension, which they dont. A beta driver on a beta OS that runs on some hardware doesnt really count after like 8 months. The article discusses whitelisting system extensions using Jamf, if it was a whitelisting issue then users would have a prompt to manually add the extension. Non enterprise users wouldnt have Jamf most likely. Ive had to whitelist extensions in jamf before, it would be awesome if that was the issue as its easily fixed but unfortunately its not :(

OWC, Caldigit and HP had this working on their docks with zero downtime for users so this is a Displaylink issue not an Apple one.

Unfortunately, you're a little off on your assessment of OWC, Caldigit, and HP docks. Those all use Thunderbolt 3, not USB-C, despite the cable looking identical to USB-C. Those docks use either the "alt-mode" function of USB-C (which passes video data over the DisplayPort channel), or native Thunderbolt 3. Each of those are seen by the OS as a native display, and the other functions of those docks have work in a similar manner. That functionality is dictated by the hardware itself. DisplayLink does not use DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, it's a different set of hardware that pipes a number of disparate hardware functions over USB, and requires special drivers to be able to do that.

Thunderbolt docks are expensive to produce and are expensive to purchase. DisplayLink is a lower-cost alternative that most people find appealing because of that lower cost. Hopefully Apple is able to work with the DL team to help them get to where they need to go with this driver.

gabhain 08-30-2018 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paultzirides (Post 86567)
Unfortunately, you're a little off on your assessment of OWC, Caldigit, and HP docks. Those all use Thunderbolt 3, not USB-C, despite the cable looking identical to USB-C. Those docks use either the "alt-mode" function of USB-C (which passes video data over the DisplayPort channel), or native Thunderbolt 3. Each of those are seen by the OS as a native display, and the other functions of those docks have work in a similar manner. That functionality is dictated by the hardware itself. DisplayLink does not use DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, it's a different set of hardware that pipes a number of disparate hardware functions over USB, and requires special drivers to be able to do that.

Thunderbolt docks are expensive to produce and are expensive to purchase. DisplayLink is a lower-cost alternative that most people find appealing because of that lower cost. Hopefully Apple is able to work with the DL team to help them get to where they need to go with this driver.

Thanks for the explanation i guess but you may have misunderstood my comment. I am very well aware of the differences between tb3 and usb-c. The manufacturers i mention make usb-c docks as well as tb3 ones. im using a usb-c OWC dock as i type this and while its far for perfect it works.

warlockuk 08-30-2018 12:25 PM

Unfortunately, us peasants on the current non-beta OS with Thunderbolt 2 are SOL.
Single DisplayPort out from my Belkin dock works fine. ONE external monitor works at the wrong resolution kindasorta. The other monitor (which is rotated 90 degrees) is basically dead.

Yay. And this has been the situation for six months for anyone who didn't upgrade like me. I can't roll back as I need the latest Safari. Yay.

Yay.

warlockuk 08-30-2018 12:33 PM

PS Spellcheck the displaylink.com homepage. Connectivitye, eh?

Chris 100 08-31-2018 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 86430)
Update: July 30th
Dear DisplayLink macOS users,

DisplayLink has worked for many months to maintain support for its users during the transition from macOS High Sierra to Mojave. While functionality such as Ethernet and audio or charging, where implemented, is unaffected on all releases, display connectivity has been limited on macOS releases from 10.13.4 through 10.13.6.

Developers/users with access to Apple's fifth developer preview of 10.14 Mojave, released on 30th July, will see full support has now been restored for multiple extended DisplayLink displays where DisplayLink driver v4.3 beta 5 is installed. We are doing wide scale testing of v4.3 beta against this preview and will release a new driver upon general availability of 10.14.

Users of 10.13.4-10.13.6 should also use v4.3 beta 5 as it contains a workaround to enable one extended USB display (720p or 1080p). An FAQ details how to enable Apple AirPlay with DisplayLink display for extend or mirror mode.

Users on macOS 10.13.3 and earlier should remain for the time being with DisplayLink driver 4.1 to maintain full extended display functionality.

We thank you for your extended patience, we continue to value your feedback and support.

Kind regards,
Alban

What is the plan for users who cannot upgrade to Mac OS Mojave?

This is the third time I have asked this question. Silence speaks volumes.

If there is not going to be a permanent fix for High Sierra, it is only proper that you let us know so that we can make some alternate plans.

AlbanRampon 08-31-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris 100 (Post 86579)
What is the plan for users who cannot upgrade to Mac OS Mojave?

This is the third time I have asked this question. Silence speaks volumes.

If there is not going to be a permanent fix for High Sierra, it is only proper that you let us know so that we can make some alternate plans.

That is simply because that has been answered already and it is totally inappropriate for me to comment on what another software vendor might or might not do in a future release, or even if they have any new release planned.

After testing completes in the next few days, we will issue a 4.3 release to allow more resolutions on 10.13.4+ than the current HD and FullHD.

Regards,
Alban

Chris 100 08-31-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlbanRampon (Post 86580)
That is simply because that has been answered already

Apologies if I missed it.

But I have been back through the thread and see no answers regarding a possible solution for High Sierra users who cannot upgrade to Mojave because it will not support their hardware.

Wozzy 08-31-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris 100 (Post 86581)
Apologies if I missed it.

But I have been back through the thread and see no answers regarding a possible solution for High Sierra users who cannot upgrade to Mojave because it will not support their hardware.

Haha, is 1st April. I doubt we will see a final version for 10.13.4+

DL concentrating on Mojave support, perhaps Apple backtracked a bit in Mojave on what they changed in 10.13.4+ that killed DL, who knows, but I doubt will not see anything more than a beta and res of 1080p in HS.

The good news is there are now 4k USB-C screens that you can daisy chain, they also have USB-A 3.0 on the back so you can plug in a USB-A to Ethernet adapter. You just plug your Mac in with the USB-C single cable, Screen Ethernet, Power - Good bye DL docks, goodbye crappy drivers.

Have a look at Lenovo ThinkVision P32u