DisplayLink Forum

DisplayLink Forum (https://displaylink.org/forum/index.php)
-   Linux and Open Source (https://displaylink.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Ubuntu 17.04 - Everything works great except there is a weird square behind the mouse (https://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65358)

williamdeangelis 06-10-2017 11:14 PM

Ubuntu 17.04 - Everything works great except there is a weird square behind the mouse

1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Took me a bit to get everything working but I have a new HP Pavilion 17t laptop that I was able to install Ubuntu 17.04 on and am using a plugable USB 3.0 docking station so that I can have dual monitors in addition to the laptop screen. Everything is working great except one really annoying thing. For some weird reason, whenever I select text or am typing text under the mouse cursor, there is a square, probably about 100px by 100px behind the mouse that completely covers the text where the mouse is. Here is a screenshot of what I'm seeing.

https://goo.gl/photos/8zJgSnEbFhRxPaWQ8

You will see my cursor is over the text with the square behind it.

As I'm a developer, I use text editors 90% of the time I'm on the computer. Selecting text has become a major PITA because I often don't know if I selected the right text until I move my mouse off what I just selected.

I feel like I'm soooo close. Have updated my drivers to the nvidia latest. Have updated my DL drivers to the lastest too.

Thoughts?

Thx in advance!

William

PS. Am attaching my support zip that contains logs and any information you might need.

mlukaszek 06-13-2017 04:00 PM

This is interesting. Is the same visible if you make an actual print screen, and not the photo? Is it just this cursor shape that is affected? Do you see the same in any application?

Thanks.
Michal

williamdeangelis 06-13-2017 05:08 PM

Hi Michal,

So that's the weird thing... screen cap programs do NOT show it... hence the reason I had to take a photo. But yes... beyond that... all programs are impacted. Everything from Chrome, to my Sublime text editor, and even Ubuntu desktop windows. It's everywhere.

w

mlukaszek 06-14-2017 04:31 PM

OK, I see that's with nvidia driver. Is it the same if nouveau is used?

Cheers,
Michal

FergieML 08-03-2017 01:48 AM

I have exactly the same problem, what is the fix?

_chris_ 08-08-2017 07:06 AM

I have the exact same problem.
With the nvidia-375 driver from the official repositories there is a square around my mouse cursor, which keeps the prior background on moving or after switching/scrolling/etc.

I'll continue testing with latest binary driver from nvidia (384.59) and report back.

otteydw 08-08-2017 02:23 PM

Same - Ubuntu 16.04.02

1 Attachment(s)
This same issue is happening for me on Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS.
Attachment 3263

umbcorp 08-21-2017 01:11 AM

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS

I'm using Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on my dell inspiron 7559 with Nvidia and Intel graphics cards. I'm using Nvidia-375 and I also have this issue. Apart from that video playback and other stuff is working great.

williamdeangelis 08-26-2017 11:30 PM

Hi @mlukaszek,

Sorry... missed your reply above. When I tried the Nouveau drivers, I couldn't get the attached monitors to display at all the first try and then only 1 of them would display the second time... but only with major mouse positioning issues and screen stretching. Those issues were so bad that when I would try to click somewhere, my mouse cursor was clicking an area about 500px to the right of where it was showing on the screen. Seems like the NVIDIA drivers are working best as the only issue left is that it's a small bit laggy, the cursor blinks a lot when moving, and the original square behind the cursor issue I was speaking of before.

Hope this helps.

umbcorp 09-03-2017 06:33 PM

it seems fine now

Okay, yesterday, I received a software update from nvidia, I don't remember name nor version number, it was just 276kb. It came with ubuntu software update. Now I don't have the annoying stupid square behind my cursor. Everything works fine. I have dell inspiron 7559 i7 6700 with Nvidia GT 960M. Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. I'm using the nvidia graphics card, intel one does not work with display link! screen shows up but no windows or menus.

UPDATE:
Sometimes the square comes back (after rebooting, or logging in out). However if I logout and login again (using nvidia graphics) it disappears.