View Single Post
Old 10-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
chashock

I know System Idle isn't really a process that consumes resources BUT, if a thread or a process doesn't close out properly or goes rogue, it CAN show up as if it is. I'll try to explain what I'm experiencing.

Right now I'm in the process of installing several Adobe products. My System Idle shows to be roughly 84%. My overall CPU utilization shows to be 16%, which is normal behavior. Nothing going crazy.

After a display goes black when attached to the eVGA adapter running the 5.2 DisplayLink driver, my System Idle immediately shows 90%+, AND my overall CPU utilization shows 90%-100%, with no other processes getting anything but 1%-2%, none of which is the DsiplayLink UI (the only process I could immediately find that was tied to DisplayLink. That is NOT normal behavior in all the years I've worked with Windows. System Idle should always be the remainder of 100 - All running CPU cycles. When the 5.2 driver dies, that's no longer the case.

That says to me that when the display goes black, the driver has attempted to do something or done something it shouldn't have, and is not being taken out of the resource pool without a fight, so to speak, and is being tagged as sys idle, when in fact it is NOT.

I've disconnected both my displays at the moment so I can finish my system rebuild without more hiccups, so once I get that done I'll reconnect and get you a screen shot of what I'm talking about.

I'll also get you the log files. The nvidia 9300 is using driver version 8.16.11.9107 from 9/27/2009. This is the most updated Win7 installation driver, I believe.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited by chashock; 10-18-2009 at 01:44 PM.