View Single Post
Old 12-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #4
atomicd10

Hi Alban,

Thank you for the follow-up.

I realize that this might be a bit of a stretch, but would it be possible to replace the Advanced Installer batch file behavior entirely? To clarify, a potential example could be the DisplayLink install MSI could extract a digitally signed executable file to a temp directory and then have the MSI write a RunOnce registry key in Windows so that the aforementioned temp file would execute the next time Windows booted. For less complexity an -installCleanup (or similar) argument that triggered the same procedure that the batch file performs could potentially be added to one of the existing DisplayLink executable files that could be called and used instead of a temp file.

If something like the above isn't feasible, would it be possible to add an argument to the DisplayLink MSI installer to "pre-extract" the batch file before the DisplayLink installer even runs? If not, would extracting the batch file as the very first step of the MSI installation process be an option?

It would be great if we could update our endpoints to Win10 AU, but unfortunately the ~7500 endpoints that we have DisplayLink installed on need to remain on Win10 TH2 for at least a year due to significant vendor compatibility issues with Win10 AU, infrastructure constraints in our environment, testing, deployment, etc.

I realize that this request might sound a little out of left field, but it turns out that these batch files get blocked intermittently by application whitelisting software on average 12.5% of the time (including prior 8.0 releases of DisplayLink) in our environment, and is likely the case for other enterprises that use DisplayLink and similar security software.

Thank you for all of the assistance you've given us! I genuinely appreciate it; even if there isn't a solution available for our current issue it's good to know that it likely is not an issue with newer Win10 versions.

- Andy
atomicd10 is offline   Reply With Quote