View Single Post
Old 10-04-2023, 08:32 AM   #14
LennyE

I managed to resolve my problems with lag. No idea if some of the steps below are abundant, but I'm not going to mess with my setup now that it's finally working. This is what I did:
  • Disconnected everything
  • Reverted back to DisplayLink 1.8.1 (since this was 100% working prior to updating MacOS to Sonoma)
  • Connected my 4k monitor (BenQ PD3200u) using both the dock (Ugreen 90912 "Revodok") and directly with a USB-C to HDMI cable.
  • Put HDMI input 1 and 2 side by side on the monitor (picture in picture, a function on this model of monitor), could still observe lag when going through the dock but direct cable was perfectly fine.
  • Toggled on Experimental 3008x and 2560x mode in DisplayLink settings – Suddenly lag ceased to occur –however scaling looked terrible on the monitor (very fuzzy).
  • Couldn't select proper 4K in display settings for the input that was running through the dock (no idea why experimental mode would do this, but whatever), so I used an app called "BetterDisplay" to force 3840 x 2160 – which worked and the display remained lag free at 60hz (max refresh rate for this monitor).

I don't know why this works, or if some steps above can be omitted from the "solution". Perhaps this will help someone else with this frustrating problem, or be useful for fixing the issue outright.

This also probably(?) doesn't solve the issue I had with DisplayLink software crashing after having been exited out of (after initial installation) every time a USB-C connection is detected. This could have been a whole other issue with Sonoma or something entirely different – however I will not push my luck now that this works. The day I have to do that, I'll update in this thread if the problem persists.
LennyE is offline   Reply With Quote