View Single Post
Old 04-12-2018, 09:51 PM   #173
sla3k

So after trying and trying and trying, and 2 sleepless nights I managed to revert my Mac to MacOS Sierra 10.12.6 and finally managed to get my 2 external displays to work.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015)
1.6 GHz Intel Core i5
4 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM
Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

This is as far as close I could get to MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3

For any poor soul like myself (just before now) who is still trying to get their Macs working with display link adapters and trying to downgrade, this might be helpful.

Steps:
1. Install the OS that came pre-installed with your Macbook (pro, Air etc. etc.). If you are at 10.12.4 or higher (which I am guessing you are, otherwise you won't be looking at this post), there is a nifty feature that you can use to revert your mac back to factory defaults.

PS. ALL YOUR DATA WILL BE LOST, SO MAKE SURE TO BACK IT UP BEFORE ATTEMPTING.

Restart your macbook, press and hold: SHIFT + OPTION + COMMAND + R keys (you would need both hands, I tried to use one but could not, maybe you get lucky, lol).

2. Once the rotating globe appears, you can let go of the keys and it will download just a bunch of bootable files to kick off the installation.

3. In the new window that appears, click on Disk Utility and Erase/format your main disk (format with Mac OS extended).

4. Quit the Disk Utility and click on Recover Mac OSX (in my case it is OSX Yosemite, 10.10.5 with which my Mac was shipped). Let it do the rest, once the installation is complete, you can follow the on-screen instructions and get into the OS.

5. Next part comes from App Store. From this link, https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208202, click on "Get macOS Sierra." in the middle of page somewhere (it will be in blue highlighted text) which will opn App Store. Click on "Get".

6. From here, follow the onscreen steps once the download completes. It might take a lot of time depending on your internet connection, download is about 5.6 GB.

7. Once all is set, you can download DisplayLink drivers version 4.1 and it will work.

I have tested it with my Mac and it worked like a charm.

I downgraded from High Sierra to Sierra but at least I got my two external screens working.

Any comments/corrections are welcome.

Thanks.

Last edited by sla3k; 04-12-2018 at 09:55 PM.
sla3k is offline   Reply With Quote