View Single Post
Old 11-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #2
briangig

Pretty clean method.

Here are a few notes.

This is what I had to do to get this to work reliably. I can never see the login screen, ever, and guessing sucks.

1. Uninstall the drivers (and reboot).
2. Create a new standard user (DisplayLink in my case)
3. Make that user auto-login (the guest account cannot have login applications, or i couldn't figure it out). I used the same password as my account for simplicity.
3a. Reinstall the drivers (under your admin account) FOR ALL USERS.
4. Follow chandler767's directions for creating the application, make that launch when the new user auto-logs in. You will be prompted for admin credentials to run the app you created (because you are logged in as a standard user).
5. You may then either switch to your own user and plug in, or just plug in the monitor. It seems to work better (remember wallpapers, etc) when you switch users first). Edit: You definitely want to switch users and then plug in.

I suppose you could just auto login as your new account, and keep the script on your real account, but for some reason I don't think that worked for me..but that was before I discovered the info below. Edit: I can't get it to work if the script is on my real account, leave it on the one that auto-logs in.

Interesting thing I found: I cannot get this to work after a reboot. If I unplug the device before even clicking restart, or as soon as the screen goes black, I still get Finder crashing, monitor not even displaying anything. I have to unplug and do a complete shutdown, then power up. Edit: Even powering down completely isn't working 100% anymore..sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have another monitor connected via mini-DP, and disconnecting and connecting that may have something to do with it (boot without it, reboot, then boot with it, etc)

Last edit for the night, my poor MBP has been through so many reboots and power cycles. If I unplug the USB adapter, then click restart, then as soon as both my internal and Mini-DP screens go blank and I hear the chime, I pull out the Mini-DP. I boot directly into my newly created account (called DisplayLink), enter my admin credentials, switch users to my main account, then plug in Mini-DP, then USB DisplayLink adapter, I get everything working dandy, no crashes, I can even open the Login Window! Did this three times and it seems to be working reliably. I think, perhaps, rebooting with the external monitor attached (mini-DP), but yanking it out before login might reset or clear something out, not sure. It seems to work, and thats all I want. I can deal with the extra steps for now.

Last edited by briangig; 11-15-2012 at 05:42 AM. Reason: more details
briangig is offline   Reply With Quote