View Single Post
Old 03-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello Complit,

I believe what you are referring to is different. You are talking about default first connect behaviour.

What you are experiencing today is a Windows "feature" we don't like either.
Screen layout is saved by Windows based on all monitor serial numbers connected at a particular time. This is regardless of how they are connected (directly or indirectly).
You can validate this by:
- Keep the same laptop and same physical displays
- Change the dock or change how displays are connected to the laptop
- Observe that the previously saved layout is restored.

The laptop display serial number is also saved in that concatenated string (even if display is inactive) and that makes it impossible for IT managers to pre-provision all layouts by stuffing the registry with all known desk assets as it needs to be personalised for each target.

However, unlike competitive solutions, the DisplayLink chip is smart (it's not a video signal converter). I currently have a team assigned to looking into how we could best solve this common hot-desking annoyance.

Would it be possible for me to use your forum email to contact you and discuss how you'd envisage it working for you? This would help check our assumptions and also have an idea of what would be best/acceptable for the configuration. Alternatively, you can email me at Alban.Rampon@<MyCompanyName>.com

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote