View Single Post
Old 11-09-2016, 09:16 AM   #1
lloyd.adams@rspb.org.uk

Default 8.1 Alpha Win 10 Limits CPU Max Frequency

Installed 8.1 alpha on Monday. Significant improvement over 8.0 (which I had only installed Friday after W10 upgrade, to excellent timing, thanks ). Install went well, if a little slow. Overall seems to be ok, May have had the odd window pop up at the wrong resolution - dragging it to 2nd window a back again sorted that.

But.....
My usual mode of working is to use 2 x displays over Display Link, and turn off internal display (ie 2nd screen only mode). I soon as I go to this mode, the cpu maximum frequency, as shown by resource manager, sticks at 31%. Turning off 2nd display (but still using displaylink for network, keyboard, mouse and audio) and the max frequency returns to normal behaviour. I have tried 2nd display when not using displaylink, and behaviour is normal. As you can imagine, at times this makes the system very sluggish. There are times when I have to resort to working on the internal display.

System is Surface Pro 3 i5, W10 Enterprise version 1607. Toshiba Dynadock U3. 1 x HDMI monitor, 1 x DVI monitor.