View Single Post
Old 04-02-2018, 08:40 PM   #141
Poly

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiy View Post
I also looked at MST with Displayport. Seems that the chipset works to produce multiple displays but OSX does not support it. I read some one else with boot camp could boot into windows with MST running with dual displays but return to OSX and extension no longer functions. Guess its apple all the way around. You should only work with a single monitor.
That person could have been me. I have an MST Display Port splitter as well.

https://www.i-tec-europe.eu/index.php?t=3&v=492

You can connect two monitors and extend your desktop on both. Works like a charm in Windows 10 via Bootcamp on my MacBook 12-inch. But unfortunately Apple never enabled MST support in macOS for Intel GPUs or via USB-C, however the built-in hardware supports it. Running USB-C in alt-mode gives you direct Display Port access. The MST standard has been around since 2009 – came with Display Port 1.2 standard. It's just Apple...

If you're a lucky owner of a Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port (which I am not ), then you can run two displays from a single port. Not sure if uses MST or something else though.

It seems Apple is pushing aggressively Thunderbolt 3 as the only option for any accessories. But that reminds me of the sad story with Thunderbolt 1 and 2. The docks were expensive, hard to get, and with the 10.13.4 update eGPU solutions were rendered obsolete.

If you ran an eGPU from your TB1/2 port you ended up with a blank screen as well last Friday.