View Single Post
Old 04-03-2018, 08:25 AM   #143
tommiy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
That person could have been me. I have an MST Display Port splitter as well.

https://www.i-tec-europe.eu/index.php?t=3&v=492

You can connect two monitors and extend your desktop on both. Works like a charm in Windows 10 via Bootcamp on my MacBook 12-inch. But unfortunately Apple never enabled MST support in macOS for Intel GPUs or via USB-C, however the built-in hardware supports it. Running USB-C in alt-mode gives you direct Display Port access. The MST standard has been around since 2009 – came with Display Port 1.2 standard. It's just Apple...

If you're a lucky owner of a Mac with a Thunderbolt 3 port (which I am not ), then you can run two displays from a single port. Not sure if uses MST or something else though.

It seems Apple is pushing aggressively Thunderbolt 3 as the only option for any accessories. But that reminds me of the sad story with Thunderbolt 1 and 2. The docks were expensive, hard to get, and with the 10.13.4 update eGPU solutions were rendered obsolete.

If you ran an eGPU from your TB1/2 port you ended up with a blank screen as well last Friday.

Geez its getting worse at every corner.

How do you get USB-C to run 2 monitors in extended mode? Without MST they are simply clones with display port. With windows they work extended.
tommiy is offline   Reply With Quote