View Single Post
Old 09-19-2018, 08:51 AM   #537
Pbowater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbanRampon View Post
You're welcome Peter,
On Mojave, we don't (need to) rely on AirPlay. We use the same OS documented API we were using before, with our own encoder. That means similar performance to what you would have had on 10.13.3, plus improvements brought since by the OS, our driver and our firmware changes.
Our adaptative encoder has better quality, resolution and latency than the AirPlay route. That's why we wanted to go back to it. Also, we can drive more displays.
The encoder is similar technology that used in the wireless VR adapter released by HTC, where low latency and quality are unavoidable requirements.

There are other, more fundamental, improvements planned as well. They are long term and this is too early for me to be able to disclose content at this stage.

I think it would be interesting to review your use case on the standard implementation. If you still have these impact, we should review what is taking place to make sure that is covered in the plans.
This is all very, very good news Alban, thanks so much for expanding on the tech involved.

To expand a little on my setup, I have :

MacBook Air Mid 2012 with an di& and 8GB -so Mojave compatible unless I am very much mistaken
2 22" 1680x1050 Samsung monitors

Dual output Targus Dock: https://www.targus.com/uk/dual-video...ion-dock120euz

I ran this with good performance before mistakenly upgrading the OS one point beyond safe.

My set up now is one monitor plugged in via the lightning port and a DVI adapter, and one plugged into the Dock with one of the Beta drivers working it via AirPlay.

If I am using Chrome on the lightning-ported monitor, viewing this page which uses WebGL, for example: https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/lightning/#cloudBgd , the AirPlay monitor, where I write my code is very slow to update mouse position, typing, app updates and dialogue box changes.

Moving my mouse pointer over to the lightning-ported monitor and the mouse cursor movements and screen updates are perfectly normal. Same for the built in MacBook monitor.

I can only assume that as AirPlay is not using a graphics adapter, that it is using the main CPU quite intensively, and therefore introducing 'lag' of sorts.

This is a development machine, and can be quite hard pushed at times, but even with closing known CPU hogs down this still appears.

Hope that helps a little?

Other stuff is very encouraging and I look forward to testing and reporting once on Mojave and running two screens via DisplayLink

Thanks,

Peter

Last edited by Pbowater; 09-19-2018 at 09:05 AM.
Pbowater is offline   Reply With Quote