View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #40
69AD0EF9

Unhappy disappointing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noleti View Post
I understand your (very defensive) rationale. You want to get support for your driver for free from the community, without investing too much effort. You do not see the potential of embedded/thin devices running Linux, that is your choice.
But my personal problem is that you are still not stating clearly on your webpage that DL-3xxx devices will not be supported for a long time. I bought a device using your technology relying on your information on your website which said that "An open source driver is available, which is now built into the Linux kernel. Linux support for DisplayLink devices is supported by the Linux community." Given that there was very little information about the DL-3xxx chip with Linux at that time anywhere on the net, I had to rely on this.
Thus, I bought the Lenovo USB3 dock believing your FAQ statement to be true (and applying to this dock). Many people in this thread did the same. Be more honest on your website, then less people will feel scammed. Don't point towards long dead projects websites without updates. This thread is a good start - but more proactive communication would help. Posting this rationale earlier would also have helped raising interest into your issues without angering customers with bricks on their desks.
Exactly!
If possible i will return mine ASAP. Guess word will go out into the community now, that DisplayLink is officially *NOT* supporting linux....

PS: i needed like 20 attempts to comple registration - these images are completly unreadable - hope someone will write a tool soon, which can decipher these catpchas - becaue i as a human certainly can't...