View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 08:43 PM   #25
wahlfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
Hi wahlfeld,

In my tests with the first-gen MacBook the adapter with video from Apple was flaky with some devices but the simpler C-to-A one you just got worked well.
We are also testing with the current MacBook and we're not seeing these issues.
So it is likely something specific with your setup... the Targus dock is a known entity, has been in the market for ages and since you are hot desking you have quite a lot of these around and I assume you don't see different behaviour with specific ones.

Could be a batch of longer USB3 cables that IT put in to hide the dock and cable mess behind the desk maybe?

We have this dock model in our lab, we'll give it a go with a MacBook8,1 and USB C-to-A adapter to double check.

Best regards,
Carlo
Appreciate all the effort Carlo and others.

You're correct about not seeing different behaviour depending on the desk. Every desk is the same, where the dock will work the first time after a restart every time. As soon as it's unplugged from my Mac, none of the docks work until I make a restart.

I don't quite understand how the length of the cable could play a part here. My colleague with a Macbook Pro doesn't have any issues, and I don't have any issues with the dock when it's working. Like I said, the problem is that the USB3 devices like LAN and any monitors will fail after I've disconnected and reconnected.

If I'm getting the same outcome regardless of the dock (and cable) or the USB-C/A adapter, and the docks are working consistently with non-Macbooks, then surely that must mean it's software related or specifically my Macbook, right?

Ah I dunno, let me know how you go in the lab.

Thanks again,
Curtis
wahlfeld is offline   Reply With Quote