View Single Post
Old 09-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #541
lhasiuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rymek View Post
So I just bought a dock with DisplayLink chip and USBC connector and i'm having the same problems as above (black screen with cursor only visible, 15" 2018 MBP).

But more important question is. When you guys release the fix, will I be able to use both DP connectors from the dock to connect 2 monitors? Some people say over the net that connection through usbc only supports one external monitor....

Is that true?
I think there are much better ways to go than DisplayLink for a 2018 MBP. Each Thunderbolt 3 port can drive a 4K monitor. HDMI monitors can be connected through inexpensive USB-C to HDMI adapters. That's four external screens on a 15" model!

My setup with the 2018 MBP uses a Henge Stone hub. It powers the computer and gives me 3 USB ports, gigabit Ethernet, audio, USB-C (for a backup hard drive) and DisplayPort all over a single connection to the MBP. For the second monitor I use a $20 HDMI adapter. Henge recently released a firmware update that solved some earlier issues with the 2018 models.

With my previous setup that used DisplayLink on a 2011 MBP, the CPU usage would go through the roof when active content was displayed on the secondary screen, and some apps wouldn't display properly. This setup completely solves that.
lhasiuk is offline   Reply With Quote