View Single Post
Old 08-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #504
gabhain

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultzirides View Post
Unfortunately, you're a little off on your assessment of OWC, Caldigit, and HP docks. Those all use Thunderbolt 3, not USB-C, despite the cable looking identical to USB-C. Those docks use either the "alt-mode" function of USB-C (which passes video data over the DisplayPort channel), or native Thunderbolt 3. Each of those are seen by the OS as a native display, and the other functions of those docks have work in a similar manner. That functionality is dictated by the hardware itself. DisplayLink does not use DisplayPort or Thunderbolt, it's a different set of hardware that pipes a number of disparate hardware functions over USB, and requires special drivers to be able to do that.

Thunderbolt docks are expensive to produce and are expensive to purchase. DisplayLink is a lower-cost alternative that most people find appealing because of that lower cost. Hopefully Apple is able to work with the DL team to help them get to where they need to go with this driver.
Thanks for the explanation i guess but you may have misunderstood my comment. I am very well aware of the differences between tb3 and usb-c. The manufacturers i mention make usb-c docks as well as tb3 ones. im using a usb-c OWC dock as i type this and while its far for perfect it works.
gabhain is offline   Reply With Quote