View Single Post
Old 12-18-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
dpaus

OK, it's working now, so I'm posting what happened in case it is of help to others....

My Dell XPS 14 has two USB 3.0 ports: one is a 'regular' port and the other has 'PowerShare'. I'm not 100% sure, but I think that when I had the Targus unit working originally, it was plugged in to the regular USB 3.0 port. When it stopped working, I know I would have switched ports to see if that was the problem.

Which is what I did just now. The Targus was plugged in to the PowerShare USB 3.0 port. I unplugged it from that port, wondering if some feature of the PowerShare was interfering with the power supply to the Targus. To be sure, I also unplugged the 5V power adapter from the Targus. I let it all sit for a few minutes, then plugged the 5V power adapter back into the Targus, and then plugged the USB 3.0 cable into the 'regular' USB 3.0 port on the XPS 14.

Voila! A bunch of messages appeared saying it was configuring my dock for first time use, the screens both flickered several times, and then suddenly they both came to life.

So, it's working. And I'm not about to try putting the cable back into the PowerShare port to see if that was the problem :-)

But this still doesn't explain why it quit working in the first place. And I'm still p'd off that there isn't any kind of user control for this device.
dpaus is offline   Reply With Quote