View Single Post
Old 06-10-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
dispnev

So, I've been experimenting.

Apparently, OSX stores an arrangement for every combination of displays you have connected, and if OSX detects that you have monitors A, B, C connected, it will apply the ABC arrangement. If you add a monitor, say D, it will look for an arrangement setting for ABCD.

Apparently, what is happening on my system, and maybe everyone with this trouble, is that OSX is seeing a new Displaylink monitor or monitors, but is not getting the ID of the new monitor, so OSX just arranges them how it sees fit.

If I unplug one of my monitors, and replug it, my desired monitor arrangement comes back.

Why didn't it apply the saved arrangement when it boots? Apparently, it's getting the monitor IDs from Displaylink too late.

My guess is that simply delaying the connection of the DisplayLink monitors until the IDs are ready to give to OSX, could fix the problem. Or even just delay the whole process x (configurable) seconds.

I have an SSD, so parts of boot up may be way ahead of the USB devices. I wonder if booting on the old spinner might eliminate the problem too? I've spent too much time on this already to do that experiment though.
dispnev is offline   Reply With Quote