View Single Post
Old 07-11-2015, 06:33 PM   #10
dispnev

Let me add that I have found that simply unplugging the USB of one of the displaylink monitors for a few seconds and plugging it back in sets everything back to the proper layout.

It appears that OSX remembers the layout you set based on the combination of monitors you have connected. If you have four monitors, ABCD, and lay them out, then unplug D, OSX will look for a saved layout for ABC, which is unrelated to the layout for ABCD. If you have only A and B connected, OSX will look for a monitor layout pattern defined for AB.

Understanding that, this is what I did. I unplugged the displaylink monitors, leaving the other 2. I set a monitor layout. I plugged in displaylink C and set a layout for ABC. I unplugged C and plugged in D and set a monitor layout for ABD. I plugged in C and set a monitor layout for ABCD.

My idea was that as the displaylink monitors are waking up, or getting detected, that it's either too fast for OSX, and it's still laying out AB, or ABC, or ABD, when it gets hit with the ABCD combo; or the monitor ID is changing as the monitor wakes up (from some generic name to the actual name).

In any case, and I'm not exactly sure why, doing this seems to have fixed it 90% of the time, and the other 10%, when the display is screwed up, I just unplug one of the displaylink monitors for a few seconds.

edit- let me add that it seems that the only time the monitors get screwed up anymore, is if I have booted the laptop away from my desk. If I boot at home and use my laptop as a laptop, then go back to work and plug it in and boot, it will probably be screwed up, and I'll have to unplug one of the DL monitors for a few seconds to get it back. I *THINK* that's when it happens.

Last edited by dispnev; 07-11-2015 at 06:38 PM.
dispnev is offline   Reply With Quote