View Single Post
Old 03-12-2013, 02:50 PM   #3
saz25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
There is some system overhead, as we need to encode the pixels and send them over USB. The CPU used will increase, the more that is changing on the screen, but it will not max out on a modern PC.

I use a Dell Core i5 machine every day and have 4 USB displays connected through a DL-3900 dock (2 from the dock, and 2 through adapters). I notice no performance difference between the USB screens or directly connected, however I'm not playing 3D games at work, which may not perform as well as a directly connected display to the graphics card. I've attached a picture to show my set up. My laptop is off on the right with the display switched off.

Wim
Thanks for the response and image. Looks great.

A couple of related questions.

I recently ordered an HP laptop Pavilion dv6t-7000 with Intel i7 and nVidia video. While the unit isn't due to arrive for about 2 weeks, I'm looking for a docking station/port replicator.

I've read about problems with DisplayLink and nVidia. Should I expect those problems? How to avoid them?

Are there any known issues with the HP 3005pr USB 3 replicator ? Does it fully support Win7 64 bit? I am also considering the Targa U3 unit. But I am certainly open to others.

Do all the USB 3.0 docking units use the same DisplayLink chips, so they are all basically the same except one unit may have more ports than another?

I'd like to be able to leave the laptop closed when at my desk so I can use an external keyboard, mouse, and monitor. I see that yours, in the image, is open.

Does HP make their own USB 3.0 device (3005pr) or does a 3rd party make it for them?

I've read so many stories on various forums regarding these things.

Any suggestions as to which unit is more reliable than others ?
I need to order something soon, but I don't want head aches when it arrives.

thanks in advance for your help,
Steve
saz25 is offline   Reply With Quote