View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 08:21 AM   #86
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeKiller View Post
Hello,

To see how big the impact is, you can just run a 2D games that does not require graphic card.
Then you will see that the System is using more ressources than the game itself !

Check that :

Same thing for the 3rd process, if I just move the window game on the main monitor (laptop) the CPU decreases.

Everything is updated on my side.
I don't believe the 2D game can decide if the graphics card is going to be used or not.
The Desktop Window Manager will compose your desktop through the graphics card. Then the pixels have to be encoded through DisplayLink Manager hosted in the WUDFHost process. One must not confuse computing graphics and encoding graphics...
The fact the game is 2D or not is not relevant. What is relevant is the image complexity and how often it changes and how efficiently it communicates changed zones to the OS. You may actually see lower performance on the native screen with lower appearance settings than some full screen 3D games because the latter will sometimes bypass DWM, cutting some time.

Having said this, there are still ongoing efforts on this front. We've done all the "quick wins" already and you will see the feedback confirms it. The remaining activities are long term investments. Long term as we started with the analysis a while back and I still don't have a releasable product... Yet, I have 2 teams in my programme dedicated to that feature. When we are closer to release time, I will be able to share details.
Microsoft is also working on improvements on the OS side.

But deep changes require careful planning, development and roll out not to break the millions of people using the product every day with corporations relying on it to work.

DisplayLink driver gets computed pixels. Driver doesn't see the Windows appearance settings, driver doesn't see windows, driver doesn't see icons: driver gets pixels. I will feed back that Windows appearance settings have an influence on WUDFHost CPU usage to try and understand why. Maybe some animations being removed means there is less to encode.
This needs to be reviewed.

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution