View Single Post
Old 08-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #26
justincardinal

rMBP 13", late 2013, El Capitan Public Beta 5 running a 2560x1440 Dell monitor using displayport connection, and a 1920x1200 Acer monitor via Plugable UD-3900 USB3 dock with latest DisplayLink drivers installed...

This configuration has worked, but it is sporadic and mostly does *not* work. Previous public betas has been sporadic but mostly worked, and the trick of killing the DisplayLinkUserAgent process often worked, but with public beta 5, this trick has not worked even once. The most typical scenario I'm seeing currently is that the OS sees the DisplayLink-connected display and thinks it's active, but the display is blank. The displayport-connected display always works. I have toggled the built-in laptop display by opening/closing the lid, which has gotten the DisplayLink display working once or twice, but mostly doesn't work. Rebooting *has* worked, but usually does not.

I have not found a reliable solution to getting the DisplayLink display working with public beta 5.

As an aside, I believe this is the third year running where we've seen these drivers break during the developer betas of OS X, DisplayLink does nothing, OS X public release comes out and suddenly everyone has this problem, DisplayLink acts is if they've been caught unawares, then a month or two later we get an updated driver that works with the new OS. This is what developer betas are for; run them, see if your software breaks, then prepare your fixes before public release so your users aren't left with broken software. I used to recommend these USB docks to friends because they were so much more affordable than thunderbolt docks, but with this consistent experience, it's almost impossible to continue recommending them. I really hope the DisplayLink folks will start being a little more proactive with these drivers when OS X betas come out.
justincardinal is offline   Reply With Quote