View Single Post
Old 11-23-2021, 04:28 PM   #2
mrgarth

Default Re: External Speakers and Monterey

I have the same issue: 'usbaudio' appears as an available output option, but no sound comes from the headphone port on the DisplayLink device.
I am on a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports), Intel processor, Monterey version 12.0.1.
I haven't pinpointed this yet, but the problem seems to arise when:
  • when the usb cable is unplugged from the Displaylink device and then reattached
  • possibly also when the output device is changed from within Chrome (audio settings for Google Meet calls) or Zoom (audio input/output controls) rather than changing the output device in System Preferences, but I'm not sure.
Things I have tried that do not work to solve the problem once audio stops playing through the DisplayLink device:
  • de-selecting and re-selecting 'usbaudio' for output from System Preferences > Sound > Output
  • de-selecting and re-selecting 'usbaudio' for output from the menu bar in the Finder. Sometimes usbaudio will disappear from the menu bar but still be visible in System Preferences.
  • selecting 'usbaudio' for output in Audio MIDI setup
  • unplugging and replugging the USB-C connection from the laptop to the Displaylink device
  • powering off and on again the Displaylink hub
  • quitting and restarting Displaylink Manager
  • resetting coreaudiod from Terminal

Last edited by mrgarth; 11-24-2021 at 03:56 PM.
mrgarth is offline   Reply With Quote