View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #18
Michel_K17

Default Work-around that works!

Good news! I found a work-around that does the trick [here].

Here is what it says:

Quote:
After some more testing I discovered that changing IE 10's Advanced settings to Enable Software Rendering (instead of GPU rendering) made the metro apps load in ~2 seconds! Great! But now my CPU is being consumed doing the display rendering, eating up more battery.

I then recalled that the USB 3.0 docking station I was testing installed a DisplayLink display driver when I set it up originally. So on a hunch, I uninstalled the DisplayLink software and driver (from Add/Remove programs), disabled Software Rendering in IE 10 and rebooted.

And it worked! Metro Apps now load fast! It's a much different experience. So the USB 3.0 docking station driver was at fault. Hope this helps anyone else having a similar issue.
Note: Go to: Internet Options >> Advanced Tab >> Accelerated Graphics topic (1st one) >> Select Use Software Rendering instead of GPU* (*requires restart)

In my case (Surface Pro), I simply changed the Internet Setting above, and kept the DisplayLink drivers intact, and it all works. The change in CPU usage seems minimal to me (looking at the Task Manager Performance screen). At least this will keep me going until a permanent fix comes from the DisplayLink folks (can't wait).

Cheers!
Michel_K17 is offline   Reply With Quote