View Single Post
Old 04-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #13
jabsroche

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultzirides View Post
If this were a TV being connected to a streaming box using an HDMI cable, sure, that would be the issue, but I don't believe that's what's happening here.

Mac > USB dock/dongle (DisplayLink) > Display

It's that middle part that is the issue. As I understand it, the DisplayLink application uses the macOS "Screen Recording" API to grab video signals and sling them over to the connected display. It's not the cable that's the issue, it's the core of the system. Netflix, Apple TV, Hulu, etc. don't want to allow their content to be displayed while this core system mechanism is in use because it cannot differentiate between, for example, a legitimate display that is connected to a DisplayLink device and a screen recording device or application that someone might use to slurp up copy-protected content.

What needs to happen is that Apple needs to create separate APIs for "Screen Recording" and "Additional Displays" (hypothetically something like that). A developer like DisplayLink can then take advantage of the "Additional Display" API, which Apple could then guarantee to content providers like Netflix, Hulu, etc. would not allow for screen recording and theft of copyrighted content. DisplayLink is operating with what Apple is providing for developers and doing their best with the tools they have.

It sucks, I hate it just as much as everyone else, but this is the most likely scenario preventing HDCP content from being displayed.
Well, that stinks. Thanks for the reply.
jabsroche is offline   Reply With Quote