View Single Post
Old 11-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #1
rbm

Default Feedback to 8.1 Alpha under Windows 10 Build 1607

Hi,

first let me thank you for providing an early release of the new DisplayLink Drivers. I´m using the Kensington SD3500V Dual with 2 external Monitors on a Microsoft Surface Pro 3 and I was one of those who experienced massive mouse lag under different circumstances on the external Monitors.

I installed 8.1 Alpha this morning, which seem to be focused primarily on the mouse lag issue.

The install procedure itself ran smooth. No issues here. After the installation, I got exactly what was mentioned in your announcement: It took around 30 seconds until the external Monitors showed a picture again. Unfortunately the picture was not clear. It consisted primarily of black and white and made me remember the picture on old TVs when the antenna signal was sub par. I could barely make out what a window was and what not. So I went to my Surface Screen, opened the control panel and disconnected both external monitors. I did a reboot and expanded my desktop again to all 3 Monitors and the issue was not present anymore. So it was either the reboot or the action in control panel where I disconnected / expanded the desktop. I should have tested that separately.

I´m using the Alpha driver now since a few hours and the mouse movement is much, much better. I might still need a few more days testing to say it´s gone for sure, but all the work I did this morning up to now felt really good!

A few minutes ago it seemed like the driver crashed. I heard my surface fans starting to work, watched in Task Manager and I had seen some high CPU utilization in the wudfhost.exe process. Seconds after that both external screens went blank, it took a few more seconds and they came back. In that time also the Network connection was gone. But it´s back to normal now. So I think the driver crashed.
To help you identifying the cause of such crashes / problems: Is there a log file the drivers generate which I can send you maybe?

So far I´m impressed and I´m glad to be able to get my hands on the Alpha version for testing :-)