View Single Post
Old 02-12-2018, 02:52 PM   #2
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Hello,

Even if I can understand some frustration this forum won't solve, I would suggest we stay factually correct for everyone reading as I feel too much exaggeration may weaken the point you are trying to make.

Updates on new hardware have not stopped recently but in April 2017. Windows 7 has been out of mainline support for 3 years now (13th January 2015). Microsoft started talking about not updating new platforms 2 years ago.
As a current user of both Windows 7 and Windows 10, I don't need to be connected to the Internet to use Windows 10 and I don't receive weekly 3 GB updates... I receive a monthly cumulative patch, like on Windows 7, and more regular anti-virus updates. If the PC is not connected, then the update doesn't take place like with any OS.
Even the Fast Ring of the Windows Insiders Programme I'm using at work to make sure there is no OS changes affecting our technology, doesn't get weekly updates and this is a voluntary enrolment for users who specifically request to have the (almost) latest code... It is not a full OS image but incremental/differential updates.

For people who don't want new features, like for Linux, their LTS branch (Microsoft calls that LTSB version and will soon call it LTSC for chanel) is available which means the OS is not upgraded every 6 months or so. Windows 10 Pro users can also choose to delay deployment by up to a year without being on LTSB.
The very first version of Windows 10 (v1507) is still available on LTSB, but I would advise against using it.

I am not sure how we can help you here as DisplayLink does not decide on Microsoft policies.
Such post would be much more visible to general Windows users and Microsoft themselves on the Microsoft community. As there is more visibility/relevance there, you would get more traction than here. Even if DisplayLink technology has millions of current users on Windows, this is a subset of people affected by the update policy.
For the time being, DisplayLink has not announced anything regarding stopping bug fixing on the Windows 7 driver.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution
AlbanRampon is offline   Reply With Quote