View Single Post
Old 02-06-2017, 12:08 PM   #36
AlbanRampon

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon! View Post
Why is there no response for 2 weeks?
@Simon, because I'm more focused on getting engineering to actually work on it rather than just repeating what I said before.

I wanted to post an update on Friday but meetings finished too late.
The problem with a "me-too" post without any value AND test conditions is that it is as valuable to reach a solution as a "I'm coughing" allows diagnosing the root cause of any ailment/illness.

Here is the update I had planned though!

TL;DR: we're still working on it and priority was increased the week before last.

In details:

The next DisplayLink driver for Windows will be 8.2 M0 at the end of March/early April.
I've been reshuffling the Windows 10 Anniversary (& Creators) Update team priority to look at CPU usage as THE main delivery for 8.2 M0.
Since Friday, I have something which I can share to users for some specific types of reports to gauge impact. Some changes were made in the OS and we've been able to remove some early workarounds, and bring other improvements.

In order to help effectively, I would like the suggest to each commenter on this thread to edit their posts in the thread to make sure the following is included in their report. You do NOT have to. However, I will keep assigning priorities based on pressure points.
Items to include:
1. Windows 10 Build Number (available from System_Details.txt of our Customer Support Tool). Home/Pro/Enterprise is not needed.
2. Enumerate each display, its resolution and if it is connected to the graphics card or a USB adapter (available from System_Details.txt as well).
3. The CPU ***full*** name including the numbers after iX (available from System_Details.txt as well). Generation is more important to understand the architecture rather than if it is an i3 or i7.
4. The GPU details (available from System_Details.txt as well).
5. What you include in your CPU usage (which processes: overall, WUDF, DWM...). Note: I really need WUDF more than the rest as DWM is a Windows process).
6. The value of CPU being used.
7. What happens on ALL indirect displays (indirect = through USB). If you have Task Manager on an indirect display, then it is NOT idling as content changes!!! This is really one of the most important point. Here are some examples:
7a. Content fully static: nothing changes at all, and I mean nothing, not the clock, not the mouse pointer.
7b. Some little area changes: like for instance you only have some numbers on the clock or the numbers in Task Manager.
7c. Only the mouse pointer across indirect displays. (if you do this, please do NOT use the mouse trail accessibility feature or this is the same use case as 7b).
7d. Moving a window. Indicate an idea of the size of the window... I mean moving a 10x10 pixels windows is obviously fundamentally different to moving a 4kx4k one.
7e. Playing video on VLC
7f. Playing video on a browser (and the value is constant across browsers). Our driver CANNOT differentiate which browser is playing.
7g. Game, full screen or windowed? Games do NOT use the same as video playback.
8. Which version of DisplayLink driver you are running as, like Windows builds, they don't all have the same features. (available from System_Details.txt as well).

You'll notice that all data, except usage and CPU value, is in the ZIP our Customer Support Tool creates.

I will then review the full threads regularly to see the updates.
Should I see someone with details which matches something I have something to be tested, then I will create a ticket using the forum registered email address and share what I have privately to get meaningful feedback on what I think should have been impacted by changes. Once I have verified with your feedback, we can secure the change in the release but I can also track who has been using the development build.
I am sure that posting it here publicly would be wasting everyone's time, and it wouldn't help narrow down a solution for each use case reported.

There are some long terms optimisations and new features around this as well, of course.

Kind regards,
Alban

Where to download the latest DisplayLink drivers
How to clean up a corrupted installation
How to report issues to DisplayLink for a speedy resolution