View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #14
cppchriscpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim View Post
Hi Guys

We are aware of the problems with the Mimo UM-710-S and Windows 7 and we have tried to fix this, however we cannot find a host software solution yet.

The problem is the Mimo monitor was manufactured a few years ago, long before Windows 7 was available. The firmware on the Mimo monitor was also one of our first releases.

When running the DisplayLink software on Windows 7, the timing interactions with the firmware change, which exposes bugs in the firmware of the Mimo. We can't change the host software on Windows 7 (we have tried a lot of different things to try and fix this in the software) but it still exposes the firmware bugs.

Unfortunately the firmware on these early devices cannot be upgraded in the field, which prevents this as an option to fix. This means we have to fix it in host software, but yet to come up with a way to do this.

This should only be a problem with Windows 7/MIMO UM-710-S, and does not affect any other product that we know of. The Mimo should also work fine under other OSes.

We will continue to try and fix this in a future release.

Thanks

Wim
Thank you for this information. I really wish you guys had come clean about this sooner; I was kind of wondering if it might be that kind of issue. It probably would have made the displaylink software look better if you'd noted it was a firmware issue when it first cropped up. On a personal level I'd be willing to actually buy another one some day knowing the issues I'm experiencing are device/firmware dependent. I do wish I could have found this out back when I bought it, so I could have just returned it and gotten another model.

Regardless, I'll still hold out some hope for one day using it regularly then. I'm hoping the release where the problem is finally sorted out will have a nice big release note saying it's finally fixed. It will certainly make my day to put my music player back on it regularly. Though the flickering/etc is only a minor annoyance. Once my blue screen issues are gone I'll be fairly content I think.