View Single Post
Old 08-14-2013, 02:06 PM   #3
PaulJRichardson

Post Configuration Options

Hi James,

Thank you for the assistance ;-)

I should (wish to) clarify a few additional details, for efficiency sake here, and to pre-empt delay for tasks I've already completed.

CLARIFICATION of "SEVERE" Flickering:
During all of my of tests, the external monitor(s) was/were mostly steady-off in a blank/black status (20 seconds to ~1 minute in duration) with occasional flickering back 'on' to visible video (~0.5 to 1.5 seconds duration), with 2 exceptions:
  1. When I was ONLY mirroring to one single external monitor (still flickers, but is mostly on)
  2. When all 3 (laptop, plus both external monitors) screen resolution is lowered to 800x600px.

To answer your question now; yes, I tested with that option (optimize video) on, and off, in every possible config (on for #2 only, on for #3 only, on for both #2 & #3, and off for both #2 & #3).

I also tested output at various screen resolutions to just one external monitor at a time, and to both monitors at the same time, mirrored, extended, both with the laptop monitor on and off. This of course has been a very difficult hurdle to effective troubleshooting, because in my thoroughness of testing every possible option and config., there were occasions when I set the laptop monitor to be 'off' (only outputting to external monitor(s)), and since the external screens were mostly off (on for VERY brief moments), that made it nearly impossible to revert the setting for the laptop to be back on, since the version of DisplayLink software that I am using, does not appear to have a keyboard shortcut method or timeout feature to "keep settings", with auto-revert (and I'm not going to start creating scripts and macros, just so I can troubleshoot something this expensive that should work out of the box).

Also, I should include here the fact that I have completed all my tests using 2 rather short new (condition) DVI-D 'Single-Link' cables [see image below for clarification], sending to two identical Dell P2210H LCD Monitors, and the entire time with NOTHING else plugged into the USB 3.0 Dock.

Two of my coworkers have identical laptops, and I'm waiting for them to bring their laptops to my office (and assume that they likely are known good devices), to test my dock/cables/monitors with their laptops/drivers. That may have an impact one my direction I take this next, although I cannot assign too much weight to that test, because I do not know (and cannot sequester their primary work tool for too long), whether all of their drivers/software is up to date, or whether they too might have some software that conflicts with DisplayLink and/or the Dock.

Thus I am now at a point where unless a DisplayLink software engineer or community expert here can spot a probable driver conflict in my posted debug zip files attached to my OP (because, for instance, I often install/use screen recording software that installs virtual graphics drivers), then my own best guess at next steps are:
  1. Format the HDD, reinstall the OS, DisplayLink, and attempt to get the Dock working with NOTHING else installed on the computer.
  2. Return the Dock to Lenovo for a replacement
  3. Buy an expensive but alternative KVM/Dock that actually works.

Thank you again James. It is very kind of you to volunteer your insights and expertise, and I appreciate it.

Respectfully,
Paul

Last edited by PaulJRichardson; 08-14-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: elaboration of cable types
PaulJRichardson is offline   Reply With Quote