View Single Post
Old 07-07-2022, 11:09 AM   #5
rboerner
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryann View Post
HelloI read this sentence and the linked documentation where there is (only) the same description... But I'm still not sure to understand what is the purpose of this additionnal "Login Screen Extension" for my Mac.

From this explanation, I could conclude it is just an "extra" and not absolutely necessary when using an external Displaylink display, after logging in my Mac session and then launching th DisplayLink Manager.

Nevertheless it appears that I never managed to reach the above purpose when I had only installed the DisplayLink Manager (and rebooted the Mac)
=> The DisplayLink manager windows always displayed 'No Displaylink-enabled display connected"
=> and I only got my external Displaylink display detected in my Mac user session when I also installed the "Login Screen Extension".

So is there a way to use an external DisplayLink display only with the DisplayLink Manager and without installing the Login Screen Extension?

Regards.
The 'Login Screen Extension' is optional, it is not required.

In order for a DisplayLink display to function on a Mac, the DisplayLink Manager Application must be running.

When a Mac first boots and presents a login screen, the DisplayLink Manager Application is NOT running. As a result, any DisplayLink display will not work.

Only after the user logs in to the system will the DisplayLink display work.

This behavior works fine in most cases, however there are exceptions such as when the host Mac does not have a display connected directly to it. For example, a Mac mini no display connected to the Mac's built-in video outputs but with DisplayLink-based docking station connected.

In such a case, the Login Extension is necessary in order to for the DisplayLink displays to work so the end user can log in when the Mac first boots.
rboerner is offline   Reply With Quote