View Single Post
Old 08-16-2018, 07:49 AM   #489
warlockuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhasiuk View Post
What I can't figure out is why anyone purchasing one of these 2017 and newer MacBook Pros would want to continue using the DisplayLink adapter, as some of the comments in this thread seem to imply. Do you really need more than 4 external 4K screens? Just go with an inexpensive USB-C to HDMI adapter or a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter, depending on your connection needs. You'll be much happier when your displays run with native support and you no longer have to carefully consider whether applying the next update is worth the possibility of losing your extra displays.
For my use-case, I have a 2015 model; the monitors I have are standard corporate issue Dell monitors with DisplayPort, occasional HDMI and DVI-D inputs.

This Mac has two Thunderbolt 2 ports, so I went with a one-cable (plus power) solution - thunderbolt cable to a Belkin dock.
Belkin dock then has two USB to HDMI adapters (which in turn adapt to DVI cables).
Belkin dock also has a second Thunderbolt to mini displayport dealie for a third monitor.

Now the USBs don't work I've got two dead monitors out of three. I'm a developer, so it's kind of a punch in the sack.

Corporate won't upgrade my Mac because it would involve a new dock + an expensive new machine and we've got a 4 - 5 year refresh policy.

They won't give me monitors that can daisy chain, as that'll be expensive.

I can't switch to a PC, I need a bunch of iOS / Safari debugging stuff which it isn't convenient to fake on a PC.

Basically, not everyone who has gone dark has the option to use fancy monitors or newer hardware.
warlockuk is offline   Reply With Quote