View Single Post
Old 12-09-2016, 07:28 PM   #16
phrogg

Default 3.0 b1 experience

So I actually just received my first DisplayLink device yesterday and I'm actually starting off with the 3.0b1 drivers as my very first experience with the product. So I cannot compare to using something previous.

But I can give a comparison of using my 4K monitor on a MacBook 2015 (10.12.1) either directly on the machine or through the DL adapter. I've simply just moved the cable over to the new device and will bring my other monitor and connect both next week.

The first thing I noticed is that when I close the lid on my Macbook that it doesn't reset the display preferences to delete that monitor from the config. It still exists in my monitors and I can put windows there or get my mouse lost on that screen. Not sure if that's an intentional design of the way the driver works, but its different from using the AV adapter.

Second there is a little bit of lag on the DL but not that much. However, I do seem to be running about 10% CPU higher than I was before. There was usually a little bit of background stuff always going on but its made a 10%+ jump. Looking in top it seems that the DIsplayLinkManager is keeping about 10% of my cpu occupied all the time now. I think I can probably live with that in order to have both of my 4K displays at the same time.

Third, the mouse seems a bit laggy specifically on tap-presses. When I go to click on another email message or something I find that I have to either click on the message or hold on the trackpad just a little longer than usual. I'm not sure how that is connected into the DL driver but its something I noticed today.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed in the whole technology and stoked to get both my 4K monitors (and potentially a couple of my 2560x1600 monitors) hooked up to my little Macbook ;-).

Phrogg